BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

Hey Adam, I fixed the shaking projector syndrome.  I had to wedge a piece of Styrofoam or hard foam in between the lens and in between the projector and ceiling.  Sometimes the writing will vibrate but my favorite is during a single digit burst the screen will ripple. Without the foam my screen looked like a wave of water going by, not it just shudders a little. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Adam, I fixed the shaking projector syndrome.  I had to wedge a piece of Styrofoam or hard foam in between the lens and in between the projector and ceiling.  Sometimes the writing will vibrate but my favorite is during a single digit burst the screen will ripple. Without the foam my screen looked like a wave of water going by, not it just shudders a little. 

Yah I saw someone else did that too but my whole pj shakes cuz its small and weighs like 10lbs hence a lot easier to shake. I'll try it though since I still have some wedge foam left.

c31803b69bdcaeaaeff620e8e92eecb8.png

Hahaha that's the one. That would definitely be your neighbor coming over if you had 3 or 4 systems running. "Crazy ass Dave imploded his room! Now I don't need this gun."(cuz that's clearly what's in his hand) :lol:

Ya know a lot of guys on here have some pretty capable systems. I do wonder at what levels you would start to damage your house. There is no way in hell I would run 3 Raptor systems. It already sounds horrible in the rest of the house when my one system is turned up. Hell the BB in the living room makes my house sound bad haha. And the lower you go... :unsure:

Do NOT underestimate the power of resonance.  Google "Tacoma Narrows Bridge".  IIRC, it didn't take much windspeed, just the right windspeed to cause it.  

JSS

I have a few songs from the Telatc series of CD's. 1812 Tchaikovsky and a few others. I believe the CD states that it has 7hz canon blasts. BUT the trac is about 40mb. Would be fun to see a cap of that:)

From the 25th Anniversary Classical Sampler:

First set of cannons:

LObebNq.jpg

Second Set:

MNTPBew.jpg

Cannon spectrum:

LO6PS7f.jpg

What it looked like back in the day on vinyl:

OQRfFnU.jpg

No wonder it got such a reputation, most stylii would skip right out of that and those that could play it would distort and lose the information in the rumble filters.

Wow, that picture of the vinyl is awesome!

I was kinda of hoping the 1812 canons had a bit more ULF bass because I find them a bit underwhelming as it is on my 16 Hz system.  One day I did hear them from the opposite side of my house (part of the same open space) and noticed a lot more low end than I had before.  I suspect that the upper bass content masks a lot of the bottom end on this recording at my MLP.  At the rear of the house, the bottom end is stronger relative to the mid bass.

That said, are the different releases created equal?  The one I have is a hi-res digital download that supposedly came from the SACD master.

Wow, that picture of the vinyl is awesome!

I was kinda of hoping the 1812 canons had a bit more ULF bass because I find them a bit underwhelming as it is on my 16 Hz system.  One day I did hear them from the opposite side of my house (part of the same open space) and noticed a lot more low end than I had before.  I suspect that the upper bass content masks a lot of the bottom end on this recording at my MLP.  At the rear of the house, the bottom end is stronger relative to the mid bass.

That said, are the different releases created equal?  The one I have is a hi-res digital download that supposedly came from the SACD master.

Not my own, of course, but I too have always found that to be an awesome picture. Right in the center you can see the spot that made the Telarc 1812 legendary: that right angle jog that pops all but the most complaint and best tracking cartridges out of the groove. I understand that being able to get past that one spot made for worthy bragging rights among audiophiles back in the day (and still does for that matter). It's never really been about the low frequency extension with this recording, it was the broad spectrum dynamics that's done so much with the reputation. (Turn it up so the orchestra is loud and...BLAM!! BLAM!! BLAAMM!!! System killer there. Window killer, too, as I understand that particular performance blew out several windows of one of the campus buildings with the percussion.) It's really impressive to consider that they managed this much with the analog recording equipment of the day, surely taking all the tricks and skills they could bring to bear, and had the guts to put it out as was without filtering and compressing everything to hell and back like everybody else did to suit the constraints of the medium.

I've heard that later vinyl pressings reduced the modulation some to be playable to a broader audience. (Telarc wasn't always about ultimate fidelity; they did put out cassettes, afterall.) From what I've read, though, the digital formats received the original treatment of 1812, full dynamics and everything.

The version I have is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Overture-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Multichannel/dp/B00005AVNH

Except mine was converted to 24-bit 88.2 kHz for digital download.  Playback level is something like +5 from theatrical reference or higher.  It is definitely the most dynamic published music recording I own.  The only published music in the same league that I own is "Best of Kodo", which is also brutal test of a system, particularly with regard to mid and upper bass.  It'll destroy your mains if you let it.  I play it at least +3 from theatrical reference, and it should probably be played a bit higher still.  I've heard them play in real life in a very well designed concert hall, and the chest pounding was pretty epic.

Then there's the (unpublished) Danley recordings, for which, I don't have any idea what playback level is appropriate.  About +7 is as high as I'm brave enough to take them.  I loaded the later fireworks recording in Audacity and noticed it really punishes the mains between 100-200 Hz.  No wonder if slams so nicely.  :)  Then there's the Harley recording, which gets the same treatment and seems to impress my guests more than the fireworks.  I can't blame them.  90 Hz at pants flat levels is pretty damn wicked.  When I played the recording cranked up, I commented to my wife, "so this is what the appeal of owning a Harley motorcycle is".  Yup.

The version I have is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Tchaikovsky-Overture-Kunzel-Cincinnati-Multichannel/dp/B00005AVNH

Except mine was converted to 24-bit 88.2 kHz for digital download.  Playback level is something like +5 from theatrical reference or higher.  It is definitely the most dynamic published music recording I own.  The only published music in the same league that I own is "Best of Kodo", which is also brutal test of a system, particularly with regard to mid and upper bass.  It'll destroy your mains if you let it.  I play it at least +3 from theatrical reference, and it should probably be played a bit higher still.  I've heard them play in real life in a very well designed concert hall, and the chest pounding was pretty epic.

Then there's the (unpublished) Danley recordings, for which, I don't have any idea what playback level is appropriate.  About +7 is as high as I'm brave enough to take them.  I loaded the later fireworks recording in Audacity and noticed it really punishes the mains between 100-200 Hz.  No wonder if slams so nicely.  :)  Then there's the Harley recording, which gets the same treatment and seems to impress my guests more than the fireworks.  I can't blame them.  90 Hz at pants flat levels is pretty damn wicked.  When I played the recording cranked up, I commented to my wife, "so this is what the appeal of owning a Harley motorcycle is".  Yup.

Thanks for the recommendations! :)

Funny.....as I have all of those tracs that you mentioned. I have all 3 of the different covered CD's from Telarc, few different CD's from Kodo, and the DSL's tracks. Also liked Bosso's short intro he made and countless other ULF tracks. Nothing compares to a great symphony for my enjoyment but bass tunnel slowed was quite nice.

Bosso try this test and see how it feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgcDxm1HI60

You know....... when your trying to make sure you have ever rattle gone from your HT listen to this track. LOL

More on that star trek scene..... I ran through that and then the Capt 'Merica bubblegum dispenser scene last night. Ugh, yea, I felt the LFE in my room......I even power cycled the Crest on the CA scene. WHA?!?!? Yea, shut the bugger down! On a scene that most people don't even know exists..... I think Paul is working on getting that one capped for everyone to see. It aint on the regular thread, I will tell you that much :D

Man, Dave's floor ripple is one for the books to say the least. The experience you get with the ultra low stuff down below 10hz is unreal. I will make sure my next home has a 6hz tuned room....haha! 

I spent some time admiring the raptor III systems Dave had brought up and installed for the g2g that day. I know others have already said it, but the craftsmanship that Dave and Paul have put into these enclosures has no parallel. The attention to detail design choices made make the raptors happy in just about any room one would want to put them in. The bamboo was just freakin' gorgeous.  If I didn't have a capable setup already, Dave would have waved bye to me with a nice check in his other hand :D It's not to say I won't be doing a lil' sumpin er another here in the near future anyways :wink wink:  Anyways, I could spend months in my garage attempting to get that nice of a finish, kudos there!  To top all that off, the a14-k is an absolute MONSTER.....That amp was doing this to those subs that was just downright illegal, but the good news is, the subs took it all in stride :D 16-15's? Check please! 

Content:

All the good ones :D Pac Rim, as we all now isn't the deepest, but man is it a bass journey that literally leaves you aching from the pummeling. It was merely a good warm up for what came next.... we delved into the meaty section of ULF: TIH, ST ship flip scene, the CATWS bubble gum scene, Oz ( I have to go buy this one now). The fireworks on Oz literally had me flying out of my seat as I thought the system was still muted but it wasn't.....holy cow! Really fun, family friendly demo scene that packs a punch. The other tracks were just silly. I already mentioned the floor resonance. It's just something you have to experience. I am moving my theater up to the living room as we speak to try and get on that :D Haha. (Not really)

Next up we did some output monsters, Interstellar stuck out here. My god I was having a little trouble seeing. I know this sounds stupid, but I love when it gets to that point....

Bosso try this test and see how it feels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgcDxm1HI60

You know....... when your trying to make sure you have ever rattle gone from your HT listen to this track. LOL

I usually just use pure raw sine sweeps to test for rattles.  It sounds like there's not much more than that to this one.  My setup is pretty low on rattles above 20 Hz, unless the SPL gets real high.   I did notice some port noise on this one at around 15 Hz ... from the air moving through the gap at the bottom of the door that connects my house to my garage.  I will have to try to get that opening sealed some day.

Madael,

Change the signal graph on the right to display the full scale.  

JSS

Crap. Thanks Max. I'll change it tomorrow.

Adam, that HTTYD scene never gets old.  I have to get around to dl speclab one of these days!  I see that there is a nice write up on settings to use on this site. :)  Keep the graphs coming, man. Good stuff!

Yah I haven't watched that yetin my room, but just doing that scene made me remember how amazing that soundtrack is. The A/V in that movie is top 3. Even with a cheap ass pj on a 165" screen it looked amazing. Hopefully one day 4K will be reasonably priced and available.

Archived