BOSSOBASS Raptor system 3

Madaeel

Sounds like you should mount the projector to the slab and the couch to the ceiling.

Put the wobbles where they should be, yo.

Always gotta be a wiseass eh Paulie?

I know Adam Likes TF2 and with BEQ it sounds awesome!  Yes, The cal file worked and it rolls off just like my in room response.  Rising response with it peaking around 5 dB at 5-11hz and the signal chain starts dropping under 4hz. Thanks for the help!  These are very cool. Last time I ran them my signal chain dropped at 7hz.

Yah TF2 has a great soundtrack and that BEQ John did looks beastly!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I am sure that is the first time someone had posted some specgraphs of the BEQ version.  As for the projector problem it really happens when bass is way over reference.  Still, I like it like that so I have to figure something out.  Mounting it on the floor is how they used to do it with those giant CRT projectors and the box it was house in served as an end table for the two middle seats. 

Haha yah than no amount of rubber or clips will help me. I was gonna ask Brandon or Luke if theirs did but if yours does too I know I'm sol. :lol:

That's true. Or maybe what we listened to didn't have as much bass centered at its resonance. Mine doesn't do it enough I wanna switch back to large TV's. ;)

I had to dump my benq PJ after the last iteration was installed. On huge bass scenes I would literally shake the lens to the bottom of it's usable shift. I would have to get up and push it back up to get the image back on the screen. The JVC and now Sony both don't have these issues however and I can run it as hard as I can take it and all is good. My PJ just seems to be in a decent spot to prevent massive shake....

I had to dump my benq PJ after the last iteration was installed. On huge bass scenes I would literally shake the lens to the bottom of it's usable shift. I would have to get up and push it back up to get the image back on the screen. The JVC and now Sony both don't have these issues however and I can run it as hard as I can take it and all is good. My PJ just seems to be in a decent spot to prevent massive shake....

My JVC(pioneer elite) clone does this too, I had to put foam all around the lens to stop it from moving everywhere. 

Adam, congrats on an absolutely killer setup!  I've been following along since the first post, so I'm not really sure why the hell I never popped in to say that...but hey, better late than never I guess. ;)  The craftsmanship is stunning, and the performance looks even better B)  You're one lucky SOB.. keep the caps coming!

Lucky bastard. I will say my pj is cheap as balls so it could just be the weight making my resonance too low. I know BenQ's aren't the biggest either and the Sony's and JVC's are a good bit bigger. Prolly got 10lbs or more on mine I'll bet.

I was able to stop mine from shifting around but it still shakes enough to knock the focus off.

Yah this is what happens with mine. Obv during a movie the shaking is annoying but since it's not that often I don't get excited but the focus pisses me off especially playing games.

Adam, congrats on an absolutely killer setup!  I've been following along since the first post, so I'm not really sure why the hell I never popped in to say that...but hey, better late than never I guess. ;)  The craftsmanship is stunning, and the performance looks even better B)  You're one lucky SOB.. keep the caps coming!

Thanks man. Dave is an artist. I really wish they were in the living room some days.

I'm upset I don't have 6 18's in 840cubes on a suspended floor though. :P THAT's why you felt that intro to Looper. That's what I look forward too if I ever move. I'll only need to run 5db hot haha.

Greetings B Dave,

I see you changed virtual address(no AVS) but I get it. Prolly not the sixth or ten thousandth identical question about what do you think about sub A vs sub B in a sealed box. Maybe one day we'll have a...well...a search engine of some sort on a kind of a World Wide Web so to speak. Bunch of idiots, the lot of them. Anyway quick question, what do you think of sub A vs .....JKing.

Just need some advice on loading fronts of drivers, wall clearances and whatnot. About to embark on a final build for my current space. Going back to DO as no rattles In room and I wanna keep it that way. Two cabs of 24x48x20(HWD). 4x18's. 11ft wide room wall to wall cabs to be placed against front wall under screen. Picture the Raptor laying on its side. What's my clearance needed from wall and other drivers for the drivers to behave? Or do I want the loading?

Hey, Coolrda,

Nice to see you here!! B)

Next time, bring friends. It makes  for way more fun.

Loading is everything. There, I've given you pearls, young man.

I'm about to do an experiment, in-room, that proves loading is everything and related to Dom's quest for the answer to designing for tactile nirvana.

Thanks for posting at DB and stay tuned...

Thanks, I'll definitely be watching. I really think the whole pursuit of ULF and ULFTR isn't the next big thing, IT is the thing. Once I experienced this, I had to have it. Through my pursuits of this, I've gone back through my library and watched all movies with abundant ULF content and its remarkable. I saw your recommendation of OZ and the Tornado scene. What a phenom of a demo. You feel the turbulence, the size and shape of the air pockets gusting. Remarkable. It crossed over from movie watching to becoming an experience in that space. Best way I can describe it. Watching a movie with a friend the other day, he flipped around and said what was that. Some surround effect that startled him. I told him it was the movie and had to replay the scene a couple times to prove it. Its that suspension of disbelief that makes movie watching spectacular. I don't want just a reasonable facsimile of an earthquake in a movie but to question if its the real thing even though you know better. And I can't help but think that were trying to kill an ant with a hammer. We don't get the ULF and ULFTR we want, we just get a bigger hammer, throwing more subs and more wattage at the problem until were satisfied. Oh, its sounds awesome for the first week, incredible, then the euphoria subsides and reality is its not so great. You got 4 or 8 or 16 subs near field with a gazillion watts that just crushes it on playback of explosions and windstorms. Whats it sound like? Its so REAL(sarcasm).  It sound like 4 or 8 or 16 subs with a gazillion watts playing an explosion or windstorm. There's gotta be a better way, a more efficient way than that. There's been next to no innovation when it comes to subs. Driver have longer strokes and play cleaner and amps have tremendous output. If that is ultimately the only solution, then thats fine. I'm all in. But there's gotta be a better way, a more efficient design to accomplish this. 

i think i got the answers i needed. I guess its been far longer than i thought. What I thought was the Raptor was in fact the Raven. I set about reading this whole thread, found your website, wow, then gave that a thorough looking over. This could very well be the most complete and comprehensive sub system available in the world. A first rate system that would look appropriate sitting next to a pair of MBL 101E's. I remember the EQ as well as a Clone amp (Sanway?) thats been gutted and rebuilt to your spec. If theres a better system I haven'r seen it. 

i think i got the answers i needed. I guess its been far longer than i thought. What I thought was the Raptor was in fact the Raven. I set about reading this whole thread, found your website, wow, then gave that a thorough looking over. This could very well be the most complete and comprehensive sub system available in the world. A first rate system that would look appropriate sitting next to a pair of MBL 101E's. I remember the EQ as well as a Clone amp (Sanway?) thats been gutted and rebuilt to your spec. If theres a better system I haven'r seen it. 

Wow, very kind words.

No Sanway. Different agent/manufacturer. Same basic platform but everything else is different and the finishing touch of the 1/4" thick aluminum FP and custom, solid cast aluminum handles just ices the cake.

Yes, I'd love to see a properly set up Raptor System coupled with the likes of the MBL for top end. In any case, it's a great compliment to be mentioned in the same context and I appreciate it. :)

The Raptor is built for a balance between no holds barred, price = no object and extremely reasonable pricing for reference playback. I could build with better drivers, machined aluminum enclosures and baffle caps, self leveling legs, ultra-overkill terminal posts, etc. and I'd get a few clean dB more and a higher end look with hundreds of pounds more weight (and I have done it in the past for a select few who wanted that).

But, as it is, it's designed to look good while covering as much of the bandwidth as possible at reference level, based on everything I know about the subject, and not cost 5 figures or more.

Thanks again for the extremely kind thoughts. B)

DOMINATOR!!!

Bummer, I need to get up your way ASAP. I'll ping Larry and see what looks good. You'll at least get to hear an Ohio Raptor when I get there. :o

OK, I little more info to compare.  Here is my response in REW and the UMIK with a -20dB sweep of the center channel at the LP.  It should be an 85 dB sweep if perfect.  This sweep is raw with no EQ or LT.  The input settings are set so my mic does not clip on EoT.

sub%20flat_zpsfnvxdgak.jpg

Using this response I ran speclab at reference which means I touched nothing.  I used the Bluray of TF2 and the same My matrix scene.

capt1505270355_zps24kabwrz.jpg

Without touching anything I ran the BEQ of the my matrix scene

capt1505270421_zps9rej7fhv.jpg

I then turned my input level up to get some better colors of the same BEQ

capt1505270425_zpsgifpmjpn.jpg

I hope this helps.  I guess it does not matter since the low end is not accurate in spec lab ;)

Any issues with mounting the SI HT18D2 vertically in an sealed DO cab?

I was looking into this during my designing phase - the DIYAudio forum's view is pretty much universally that driver sag occurs with horizontally mounted drivers, to a greater or lesser degree depending on the length of time involved and the construction methods and materials of the driver in question, which can affect excursion capabilities if the cone at rest eventually ends up nearer either the back plate (due to facing up) or the max 'outward' excursion point (due to facing down) in that one may have increased risk of exceeding XMech due to the reduced excursion available.

My concern was that drivers vertically might 'sag' out at the bottom and in at the top over time, which would mean the voice coil is not properly aligned and might start rubbing against the magnets, but this didn't seem to be a concern to most people.

Either way, I think rotating the entire sub 180degrees once in a while might be a good idea, if it's possible to do so.  Mine have been designed so I can do so if required, but I imagine it would be trickier with a built-in box... lol  (In that case it could be an idea to remove the driver(s) and rotate them 180degrees if the drivers are mounted vertically.  If they are mounted horizontally then I imagine all one could do is to run them magnet-out??)

That was my thought exactly. Just rotate the cab so the down firing sub is up firing every now and then. Theres no denying the design here as being the most efficient from a sensitivity standpoint as well as being the best starting point/s for wave propagation as far as smooth and consistent response goes. 

Archived