Ricci's Skram Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

5 hours ago, chrapladm said:

I simulated the driver and it looks doable but SW152 looks much better. Problem is the BC is $2500aud each almost. The Beyma is much cheaper. The eminence is also around 3000 each.

Wow that's hardcore, I bought my last 21ds115's for 380€ (600AUD), but they're up to 640€/1000AUD now, which is a price I'm sure you'd be very happy about still. It's crazy how bad it is when you don't have an official distributor on your continent.

They are asking for 700aud shipping from France from one dealer. The local dealer here is asking 2200 for the SW152 and 3600 for the IPAL. I was looking at getting IPAL's a few years ago but couldnt at the time. They were going for 1250 each then. Probably going to go with Eminence if QC is stable. Hate to ship something from Germany to find out there is an issue.

Will see what happens towards the end of the year. If nothing else changes, then when I take a trip back home(Indiana) I will just buy a pair then and fly back with them.  

Even ply is almost double the cost now. 103aud for 17mm for Eco structural grade ply.

• 1 month later...

OOPS I DID IT AGAIN, and built 2 more SKRAMS making this 4 SKRAM's in my collection. I decided to do this because I upgraded my tops to Meyer Sound UPQ's and needed more BASS. Now I just need to find a amp and more money to afford it.

B&C 21SW152's cost 950$ each, 200$ more than pre-covid. My QSC PL380 amp is 700$ more now and backordered.

• Like 3

I'm gonna switch from clone amps to Powersoft soon. It means I can safely extract a few dB more out of my subs, thanks to the vast limiter selection Powersoft offers. Or consequently: bring less gear and ride closer to the edge of what the system can handle, without worrying that it's going to destroy itself. With non dsp amps (or amps with bad dsp) you always have to worry or overprovision your system, which gets annoying over time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Final form post! I’m declaring this the finished Ionic Sound System (I hope, haha).

Countless hours, more money than I’d like to admit and I couldn’t be happier. My garage is full, the trailer is maxed out, my truck is at its limit of towing capacity.

Josh, you have created something really special with the Skram design. The bass heads drool over them, live music kick drums sound insane, and techno beats sound clean, punchy and dynamic…. What else could you want? The perfect all rounder sub design, bravo! 

Headphones in! 

B64189E3-ABC1-4EBA-9613-1F90C6782CA3.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jay michael said:

Final form post! I’m declaring this the finished Ionic Sound System (I hope, haha).

Countless hours, more money than I’d like to admit and I couldn’t be happier. My garage is full, the trailer is maxed out, my truck is at its limit of towing capacity.

Josh, you have created something really special with the Skram design. The bass heads drool over them, live music kick drums sound insane, and techno beats sound clean, punchy and dynamic…. What else could you want? The perfect all rounder sub design, bravo! 

Headphones in! 

B64189E3-ABC1-4EBA-9613-1F90C6782CA3.jpeg

Danleys and SKRAMs - I'm with you, but mine don't move! 

Awesome setup. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Linked up with a friend from Melbourne for Burning Seed a few weeks ago and joined my 4 skrams with his 2 for the Sickest House sound camp. Took me a few days to get everything really dialed in but by the Saturday night it was really humming along with a big DnB session taking us right through to Sunday morning.

Lots of compliments on the sound, and lots of learning on my part about getting things set up and dialed in more quickly in future.

338010287_518890416989042_3376897343064338798_nresize.jpg.dcc99a8f12fca5011b524a02ef3f2453.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, h3idrun said:

Linked up with a friend from Melbourne for Burning Seed a few weeks ago and joined my 4 skrams with his 2 for the Sickest House sound camp. Took me a few days to get everything really dialed in but by the Saturday night it was really humming along with a big DnB session taking us right through to Sunday morning.

Lots of compliments on the sound, and lots of learning on my part about getting things set up and dialed in more quickly in future.

338010287_518890416989042_3376897343064338798_nresize.jpg.dcc99a8f12fca5011b524a02ef3f2453.jpg

Was this a generator setup? And are your Skrams using BC 21SW152's or which driver and amps?

On 4/17/2023 at 6:09 PM, chrapladm said:

Was this a generator setup? And are your Skrams using BC 21SW152's or which driver and amps?

Yep on a 3.5kva portable generator.

Still saving for the B&C drivers, the grey boxes have 4x Memphis Car Audio SR10 per box, and the reddish purple boxes have Dayton RSS460HO. Didnt get a chance to measure the response of the 2 different types but by ear they sounded surprisingly alike. The grey ones were on an EV Q1212 and the red ones on a Crest 2x1000 iirc.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I have another art car project and am looking for a cabinet for 18" drivers. Im looking at the 18" BC Speakers 18SW152 driver and a powersoft plate amp. I currently own 4 SKRAMS, but cannot get another amp for the 2 new ones I have built. Do you have any suggested designs for a 18" driver? Thanks!

14 hours ago, Leimahmood said:

So box dont need any eq just need now room eq right ??

Filter out below the tuning frequency and room EQ. 

Maybe start with a high pass 4th order Butterworth at 20hz. Looks like there are other woofers to tune with in your picture - time alignment and eq should account if that is the case - phase alignment can be a challenge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

do you guys damp the internals of the skram? there are a lot of different opinions about damping subwoofers.

I've used polyester fiber (cheapest quilt sold on ikea) in the past for the woofer chambers in a martin 215 mk3 clone placing it in 3 of the 4 walls as it is not a square with great (to my ears) success. I am planning on doing this also for a couple skrams I just get but anyway I'll be glad to hear your opinion.

would it be audible? i've been victim plenty of times in the past of the "ahá it sounds better" effect and then you go back some days after and it sounds the same...

8 hours ago, klipsch said:

Yes. Think I used quilt foam padding from craft stores. Polyfil equivalent that is not loose. Spray adhesive and friction holds it in place. This was about halfway through the damping:

20200123_212509.thumb.jpg.554aeeca07ae976f37b3bf2bfe62fd4b.jpg

Did you measure the difference before/after? What changes did it make?

2 hours ago, h3idrun said:

Did you measure the difference before/after? What changes did it make?

No measurements before and after. Multiple threads and literature on cab reverberation reduction - have always assumed they were correct / accurate. The additional 10 to 15 bucks of material with another 30 minutes of effort wasn't enough to question it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Guys,

impressive work each and everyone who built the SKRAM

i have a couple of questions

1.- How many dB get lost  if i get the least expensive driver from the list , the Lavoce SAN214.50 or the RCF LF21N551

2.- what router bit is used to trim the 90 degree angles in the outside of the box where the outside panels meet to each other, so to look more pro factory made cabinet with chamfered/rounded edges

3.-  do you guys use any method so to stack 2 or 3 cabinets and some feet or corner cover that fits in to each other cabinets so to "lock" and do not let the cabinet run or fall when stacked in top of the other.

4.-  what area of the back driver chamber need to be filled with ikea pillow stuffing ?

5.-  is best to use the 8 ohm or the 4 ohm version?, i plan to run 2 8ohm drivers in paralel for a 4 ohms load in to the amp channel, im not confident enough to run @ 2ohms load regardless

6.-  do you need a CNC machine to cut the wood or you can make one with just a table saw.

3 hours ago, rolo95 said:

Guys,

impressive work each and everyone who built the SKRAM

i have a couple of questions

1.- How many dB get lost  if i get the least expensive driver from the list , the Lavoce SAN214.50 or the RCF LF21N551

2.- what router bit is used to trim the 90 degree angles in the outside of the box where the outside panels meet to each other, so to look more pro factory made cabinet with chamfered/rounded edges

3.-  do you guys use any method so to stack 2 or 3 cabinets and some feet or corner cover that fits in to each other cabinets so to "lock" and do not let the cabinet run or fall when stacked in top of the other.

4.-  what area of the back driver chamber need to be filled with ikea pillow stuffing ?

5.-  is best to use the 8 ohm or the 4 ohm version?, i plan to run 2 8ohm drivers in paralel for a 4 ohms load in to the amp channel, im not confident enough to run @ 2ohms load regardless

6.-  do you need a CNC machine to cut the wood or you can make one with just a table saw.

1. the LaVoce is a perfectly adequate driver. If you're in the US, the Eminence driver will output like 2dB more. In Europe the price difference doesn't make any sense

2. a roundover bit

3. I machine circles in the top of the cabinet where the (round) feet sink into

4. uh none; you can line the walls not near the port with foam if you like

5. you answered your own question

6. that's up to how good your woodworking skills are - I built an SKhorn without a cnc

• Like 1