Ricci's Skram Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

• 3 weeks later...

We finally "finished" our two skrams, at least so far, that we could fire them up for the first time, last weekend.

Together with our self designd Top (AMT + double 12" in  CB, also just "finished") this was one of the most stunningly setups I´ve ever heard.

The skrams made the perfect underline for the Tops, wich were designed to produce the cleanest sound possible.

It´s absolutely crazy what output just 2 Skeams have, while the Ipals arent´t even moving.
Looking forward to build 2 more of them (but the next will be made of the good old BB and be Paintet with duratex. No fancy carbon enhanced popplar plates, epoxy logos or acryll glass front)

-Josh, you are my bass-hero :)

IMG_20210626_201611.jpg

IMG_20210626_010758.jpg

• Like 3

Gig report- very impressed. I didn't have time to do proper measurements/EQ with a mic so I fiddled around in hornrep ahead of time to get a phase match with the keystones. Landed on delaying the Keystones 5.8ms with a phase invert. Based on the rich sound, coverage, and amp levels vs output, I think that must have been reasonably close. We had some issues maintaining voltage with the cable runs and generator capacity, and I was quite conservative running the NX6000 into them since I haven't set up proper limiting, but it was more than enough to prove these cabs are quite capable. Got the same excited feeling of bringing the system up to a brand new level as when I put together the Keystones. Of course, now I've got the itch to pair them with a Powersoft amp...

IMG_1716.thumb.jpg.44cbf02c294338ba1eacff361a3944e8.jpgPXL_20210626_060437921.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.b5b14977b0525966fb1435564b0c29dc.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MomoTon said:

We finally "finished" our two skrams, at least so far, that we could fire them up for the first time, last weekend.

Together with our self designd Top (AMT + double 12" in  CB, also just "finished") this was one of the most stunningly setups I´ve ever heard.

The skrams made the perfect underline for the Tops, wich were designed to produce the cleanest sound possible.

It´s absolutely crazy what output just 2 Skeams have, while the Ipals arent´t even moving.
Looking forward to build 2 more of them (but the next will be made of the good old BB and be Paintet with duratex. No fancy carbon enhanced popplar plates, epoxy logos or acryll glass front)

-Josh, you are my bass-hero :)

Haha! Excellent work. I'm glad you like them. 

If you don't do CF/poplar/epoxy logo/acrylic front, they won't match! 😆

16 hours ago, zryouiki said:

Gig report- very impressed. I didn't have time to do proper measurements/EQ with a mic so I fiddled around in hornrep ahead of time to get a phase match with the keystones. Landed on delaying the Keystones 5.8ms with a phase invert. Based on the rich sound, coverage, and amp levels vs output, I think that must have been reasonably close. We had some issues maintaining voltage with the cable runs and generator capacity, and I was quite conservative running the NX6000 into them since I haven't set up proper limiting, but it was more than enough to prove these cabs are quite capable. Got the same excited feeling of bringing the system up to a brand new level as when I put together the Keystones. Of course, now I've got the itch to pair them with a Powersoft amp...

Cool! Looks like a good time. Where are you located? That's a nice looking chunk of land. 

The Keystones are bigger than I thought. What drivers do you have in them? What drivers in the Skram's? 

On 6/30/2021 at 11:10 PM, chrapladm said:

So do you have Skrams or just Keystones?

2 of each.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, Ricci said:

Cool! Looks like a good time. Where are you located? That's a nice looking chunk of land. 

The Keystones are bigger than I thought. What drivers do you have in them? What drivers in the Skram's? 

Osborn Point out in the Cascades (Washington). Getting out there on the forest service roads is a bit of a challenge, especially with a ton of gear, but the vantage is amazing and you can make as much noise as you like way up there.

IMG_1208.thumb.jpg.4b7cc89b8ac192ae013fc3d47747def3.jpg

21DS115-4 in the Skrams. Keystones are loaded with some spare OEM ceramic, stamped basket 18s from a friend at a local, well known audio manufacturer. They're no B&Cs but they sim nicely and have stood up to some abuse that is frankly well past the specs I was given for them. They've got a good motor and great excursion capability. I think the excellent driver cooling of the Keystone design helps them stand up to the abuse.

• Like 3

Good to see some more SKRAMs getting use at outdoor parties! I built my 3rd for a party at easter, still with the 4x 10" car audio drivers as I ran out of time for testing the Dayton 18"s i bought.

Ran for 3 days with 4x Martin W3s for top end and everyone loved it, so many compliments on the sound all weekend!

Will be building a 4th soon to finally test the 18"s so i'll keep everyone updated whenever that happens.

167371223_2004853246336094_7051822693633078791_n.thumb.jpg.6dbee037f16f0fe3da68759f970ab8e1.jpg

167910174_280739243544663_3660776890776594845_n.thumb.jpg.e3216ad4c19240871d954a2e64b5a92a.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 12:09 AM, zryouiki said:

Of course, now I've got the itch to pair them with a Powersoft amp...

this should help with your generator issues as the measurements I have seen of Powersoft amps(x4/x8) show sinusoidal in phase mains current whereas reports on the NU/NX6000 indicate large current spikes.

6 hours ago, kipman725 said:

this should help with your generator issues as the measurements I have seen of Powersoft amps(x4/x8) show sinusoidal in phase mains current whereas reports on the NU/NX6000 indicate large current spikes.

The magic of PFC... love it

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, first of all thanks to everyone for the knowledge share and specially to Ricci for pusblishing your works. I've been years behind the Othorns and when finally I was able to build them I leaned to the Skram as it seems more reasonable for me in terms of costs (going for the Lavoce) and mobility.

I've been organizing the .dxf files that @dsl1 shared and named them according to the pdf that Ricci shared (Ricci I can send you the files in order to swap them in the front page to ease the work of newbies like me, if dsl1 agrees). I have some questions referring to that:

- The back panel brace (part T) is divided in two, right? (back brace 1 and 2, one having an angle)

- The middle hatch brace (part Q) is removed? I cannot identify it and also I see that there is no dado in the hatch.

Also another question apart from the Skram just to not do a double post, if it's OT please just ignore it. I've seen since the Othorn that plenty of people recommends the 4ohm version of the driver. Apart from power requirements do it sound different from the 8ohm version? I have a Crest 9001 and I planned to put one per channel at 4ohms (amp will deliver 2050w per channel) but thinking on upgrading to 4 subs the crest will be delivering 3000w per channel at 2ohm. 2 cabs per side go up to 3400w so I don't think those 400w will make a difference. But the 8ohm version will allow me to put 3 per side if swapping the amp and also have more resell value just in case. Can't decide about what to pick... been with this thoughts for years, what do you think? In sound terms (musicality, tightness, whatever...) will it make a difference?

Hello Waipy.

8 vs 4 ohms depends on which driver. There is usually some small difference between 8ohm and 4 ohm models, but it is not enough that it would be very audible in most cases. Usually the 8ohm version will have slightly less motor force and higher Qes/Qts. I do not think you would be able to tell them apart in a blind listening test in most cases. 

Back panel brace T does not have an angle in the original plans. It is not divided in two.

Brace Q is removed if using a plate amplifier. 

These may have been modified in DSL's cnc files. Neither are critical to be exactly the same as the original plans. 

SKRAM Internal bracing.png

Thanks for the info Ricci, I'll go for the 8ohm option as LaVoce only has 8ohm haha

Regarding the pieces, yes I meant dsl's files. So actually this was a direct question to him. Anyway if they are not critical as you said I suppose that my guessings are correct.

I'll upload some photos when the build begins :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am pretty sure that i am NOt The only one. I Have lot of Space but no knoweledge about horn subs. Do you Have a intrest to design horn woofer about 4m³ Space? Infra sounds? Yes If IT can Be added For that Space 🤔 like i say i Have no fucking clue how to design horn woofer 🤦🏼‍♂️ but i Have Space and maybe Even Time and money to do something extraordinary 😃 plan IS to do 2 of them. One in front and one in rear.

11 minutes ago, Velmeri81 said:

I am pretty sure that i am NOt The only one. I Have lot of Space but no knoweledge about horn subs. Do you Have a intrest to design horn woofer about 4m³ Space? Infra sounds? Yes If IT can Be added For that Space 🤔 like i say i Have no fucking clue how to design horn woofer 🤦🏼‍♂️ but i Have Space and maybe Even Time and money to do something extraordinary 😃 plan IS to do 2 of them. One in front and one in rear.

I Have b&c sw152 on llt box so If IT possible to use that driver in that design it IS a huge + (i know The manufacturer says that IT Have 30-1000hz working range but yousually they go lower)

On 8/7/2021 at 4:57 AM, chrapladm said:

What was your setup? in the video audio wise?

Sorry, not very descriptive in my post lol. We had 5 Skram's out under my Danley Sh-46 for 3 days this weekend, sadly I have a driver stuck in customs so the 6th Skram stayed at home.  First time feeling like I had abundant power and amplification to really see what everything could do, used 3x CVR 3002 on subs, 1 skram per channel and 2x Crest Prolite 7.5 bi-amping the Danley's. Really happy how everything's come together, ran flawless all weekend and sounded fantastic with tons of headroom.  

skram.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ricci said:

Hell yeah JM...That should make some NOISE and sound great doing it. 

Mad respect to you Josh for sharing your brain power with us, lots of happy campers on this weekend :)

We spent all day Thursday really scrutinizing the tuning of the system before the crowds arrived. I built presets in my Venu360 with all the appropriate peq setting for both the Danleys and Skrams with proper measured delay profiles at 75/85/90/95/100/105 and 110hz crossover points. With a handful reference tracks in dubstep, Reggae, house, techno and psytrance, a few of us a/b'd all the various crossover points with those tracks and came to some conclusions. For the most flexible crossover point that sounded the best over all the genres of music we preferred the 95hz crossover point. The only genre we felt suffered a bit at that higher point was the dubstep tracks, they sounded a bit cleaner around 75 to 80hz. Anything kick drum driven seemed to benefit from letting the skrams play a bit higher. It still blows me away every time I hear them how tight and punchy these subs are, not typically what one would expect out of a big 21" driver. I would also say the 5 skram's are pretty close to keeping up with the pair of Sh-46's, with the sub amps wide open we had the Danley low amps around 95% and the high amps around 90%. Once we get the 6th Skram loaded the system should be pretty much perfectly balanced power wise.  If we add more Skram's some day we will probably have to add another pair of tops as well. 

Here is a few more short phone recorded clips, they seem to give a good feel for the impact and punch of the system,  but the really low deep sub stuff seems to not come across as good as it sounded in person, Iphones must compress the recording a bit or something. With some headphones these vids sound pretty good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtuebCpml1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tU3YXh4J4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knf6HSPEypY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxxExGbyfSA

JM living the dream ❤️

Cant wait to get mine back outside again, we are back to crazy restrictions in relation to entertainment events thanks to another covid outbreak, got 3 more parties booked this year but they keep getting pushed back until restrictions ease.

On the plus side i should finally have a chance to build my 4th soon and do some comparisons with the Dayton 18s I bought