Bossobass Mini GTG Thread

Bossobass Dave

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that case, I need to come clean.  All of the PvAs are fabrications, and I only have a 'relatively badass' soundbar, which stopped working 6 mos ago...

JSS

Since we're all confessing... I've never built a subwoofer in my life. I got the kid down the street to sell me his sub and the Raptor is just a pile of end tables that my doctor was throwing out when he redecorated his waiting rooms.

Me and Paul jump up and down on the floor when Speclab is running.

:o  :o I gotta get ahold of Brandon and cancel this gtg andale. 

I guess I'll confess now. This entire thing has been the biggest troll operation in audio history. My name is actually Dewdrop Periwinkle and I'm posting from my grandmothers basement. I own a pair of Beats headphones and I wear skinny jeans.

This crowd is so lame.  I'm going to go build a Marty sub now.

Marty Party

And just to join in on the confessions, My name is really Chico Dusty, and I am in fact the son of Sir Lucious Leftfoot. I don't even have a theater, it's my dad's. Some of you might know him better as the artist formerly known as Big Boi, of Outkast fame. 

Dave, thought it was your dentist??

Sir Lucious Leftfoot? Dewdrop Periwinkle? Skinny jeans? Beats? Chico Dusty?

LOLOL...

Except, in my case, there is no sub. There are no speakers. There is no theater. I actually do live in mom's extra bedroom.

None of those skinny jeans here though.

Just watched Tomorrowland with the better half.

No comments yet, but here's the single scene that's loaded with ULF. I'll wait until someone with full bandwidth playback catches which scene. First one to post the correct chapter and scene description wins.

ahPm7RD.png

dTBEasC.jpg

And I thought about renting this through RedBox tonight. Dangit. Something was telling me "there might some good bass in this movie". 

No comments yet, but here's the single scene that's loaded with ULF. I'll wait until someone with full bandwidth playback catches which scene. First one to post the correct chapter and scene description wins.

ahPm7RD.png

dTBEasC.jpg

Frank's House approximately 1:07:00. My screen height is much shorter than yours with worse LFE but here is my screen capture:

TomorrowLand1.jpg

ahPm7RD.png

dTBEasC.jpg

Thanks for posting. Watched this in family room system, the first viewing, and through the tv no less. This soundtrack was a stunner the second go around. Filled with dynamics and depth. Starting from the journey to Tomorrowland, then the robots on arriving, the rocket launch off the sled really got my attention. Then the Blast from the Past battle, the front door and android assault at Clooneys home. Then pod hatch closing and Eiffel Tower launch. On and on. Very good demo disc.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are on the ball. I just launched the sites and have been working out the bugs in the shopping cart, payment gateway, shipping, e-mail response, etc.

New Bossobass masthead, every page re-done, new pages added, Special Edition Raptor subs and we've been doing a lot of searching, buying, testing amplifiers.

The DSP stuff is being tested and tweaked ATM. If it pans out to be good enough, we;ll add them to the cart. For the lazy browsers, we order the amps in, open them up, run a 7 step regimen, box them up and ship them. The Dash-V cases should be ready in the next 2 weeks.

Not being an IT guy, my head's smoking right now. None of this stuff is intuitive at all. It takes quite a bit of work and email queries to get the job done right. I need some time off.

Bosso I was curious how much the A4-12K-TT 220vac was?

I saw the basic price but was not clear on the options, as to which I should select for pricing.

I don't think there are any extra options for those. They are "fully loaded" already.

Sorry for the confusion.

The A4-12K-TT is available in 120 and is the upgrade price check box version, so you would add the 220V up charge for the 220V version. The A4-18K-tt is 220V only, so the upgrade price obviously includes the 220V up charge.

NOTE: International customers will hit a roadblock when they get to shipping. If you select, for example, Australia, you'll get a flag that says there is no option for shipping to that location with a link to contact us. As I said, we're still looking into those options and working out the bugs. If you're interested in any of the amplifiers and you live outside the CONUS, just use the main bossobass.com e-mail link to ping us with your request and we'll address it specifically for you.

There is not a lot of profit built into any of these separate hardware options (as of now, the amplifiers and Dash V options, more will be added as they come on line), so we just have to look at each individual request and see if it's feasible to make both sides of the transaction agreeable.

I wanted to make a post regarding amplification of a for real home theater subwoofer for those who are new to the hobby and for vets who haven't yet been introduced to a piece like Paul's new Dash V signal shaper.

"XXXX" asked for one of the first Balckbird prototype dual opposed 2x15" subs as a passive solution. He said he had his own amp and wanted to add low end to his smallish system in his new open floor plan LR/DR/Kitchen. Paul set it up and the sub rendered a typical presentation of usable in-room response to around 25 Hz with roll off below that and very high output above 30 Hz.

Then Paul suggested a test run of insertion of his then prototype Dash V.

Of course, in-room response went from "Wow" to "OMFG!!!" with the usual suspects of demo scenes. The problem though was immediately apparent. The Crown amplifier he had tapped out immediately. The source, signal and sub were asking for more than the Crown with shared 15A mains can deliver.

I've been there myself many, many times. In my naive beginnings as a full bandwidth seeker, I used the Marchand Bassis with a 1/12 octave sine tone CD with a bandwidth of 10 Hz to 120 Hz, the RS SPL meter with C weight correction file and hand-drawn graphs to measure the difference between native response and signal shaped response.

Here's a scan of one of those exercises. Please note that these were done close-mic and then you'll see my ignorance of the subject. :blink:

eFfe0Hm.jpg

Let's stretch that to a typical REW graph scale and gee was I happy with myself...

3P1CfUR.jpg

Of course, the amp shat the bed immediately. I upgraded to higher power and the drivers wrinkled and melted. I then went on to buy 100 drivers from a half dozen countries. I also began to study the awesomeness called Room Gain. I then ended up with:

8x15" Adire Tumult (4xMKI and 4xMKII), each driver powered by one QSC RMX-1450 MAX (11,600W on shared 20A mains) per driver with +12dB L/T BOOST.

After a decade, the Raptor Systems are, each driver, powered by 1750W MAX (A-14K on dedicated 30A mains) with 6dB/8dB/10dB BOOST and NO/10 Hz/18 Hz HPF options.

Point is, try powering a single Raptor module with "XXXX's" Crown with the 10dB BOOST, NO HPF curve selected and watch the clips lights flash all night instead of the movie.

Keeping the roll off low, the response in harmony with the room gain profile, the gain matched, the noise low, the power adequate and the drivers safe equals a state of the art low end presentation. But, the choreography is specific and necessary and the amp needs to hold up its end of the deal.

Archived