Bossobass Mini GTG Thread

Bossobass Dave

If you came over this direction you would have to make the 2 hour trip to my house to listen to my DO HST-11 setup in my small room because I'm not bringing the DO HST-11 setup to Brandon's theater room. Doing so would be like throwing a hotdog down a hallway. Totally not fair, haha. 

LOL.... if I came over that way I would make a stop at the shop to learn some about how the subs are built and then a demo at your house of course lol......

My issue is the size of my room requires a LOT of subs and my wife requires NONE if she had her way... So I can get away with the one monster I have now, but any others need to be hidden like a ninja, unseen until they strike :).

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this thread makes me wish I lived closer to NC.  I'd love to get my ears on either of those setups.

Right now I'm still going through some upgrades to my AVR but then I'm likely back to shooting for dual subs of some sort and if the HT-18 is around I will shoot for 2 of those, otherwise looks like the HST series for me.  Maybe a couple 11's because of their small box size so I could fit maybe 4 in the room spaced appropriately...

but thats off topic.

Regardless if I'm ever in the area I may have to make some time to do some visiting......

Get ToGethers are the most fun I've had in this hobby, hands down.

I've been to a half dozen states across the USA and have met some radically cool people. Many different tastes in audio and with many different levels of expertise in many different specific areas of audio.

Nothing is off topic in this thread because GTGs are filled with off topic subjects. When you discuss strictly one aspect of HT audio, like the Raptor subs demoed in this thread, that's all good. But, when you sit down at a GTG with fellow hobbyists, engineers and vendors... IOW, real people, face-to-face... you always get off on infinite subjects. That's what makes it worth the travel expense to attend GTGs, and that's the flavor I prefer in the GTG thread.

Learning something new is always the goal and discussing particulars is what leads us there.

^^^My experience anyway, FWIW, and thanks for posting B)

• 2 weeks later...

Watched X-men 1st class the other night. Had forgotten what a ULF monster this flick is. I ran SL through the entire movie and capped the missile scene:

SYkfEP6.png

Paul and I visited Nick last weekend and had a great visit. Swapped out his iNuke6K with a real Lab clone FP14000. In the process we found he was running the inuke at 2 ohms per channel. Since the inuke is dual full bridge configuration (it can't be bridged because each channel is already full bridge), he was, in effect, running 2 bridged amps at 2 ohms each.

No bueno.

We heard bad sounds during playback of a scene from Pacific Rim. Swapped the amps, checked the resistance and let the same scene rip. The FP14000 clone bridged into a nominal 4 ohms is in charge now. ;)  The only bad sounds he'll hear now will be from the dual opposed dual HST-12 sub he built and uses in the small HT room.

I hear Nick's taking heat at AVS. I wonder why you post there at all Nick? Masochist?

Anyway, the news about the new driver is welcomed with props and curiosity for more details. Please post what ya got here and let them come over here to read all about it. :ph34r:

Someone pinged me about a thread bump over there. Someone asked Qs, including why I use 15s and not 18s. It's always been about size. Years ago we polled women by placing several sized subs in our living room and asking what the absolutely largest enclosure was acceptable to them. We used box sizes from 2 cubes to 8 cubes.

4.5 cubes was the statistical limit.

We designed the 15s to that size. You can fit more multiples for even soundscaping and stacking is far more doable for even more concentration of power per cubic inch. Here's a scaled pic giving an idea of the difference between Raptor 15s and 18s:

aXGY99O.png

Obvious difference. Easier to place 4 x 15 loaded enclosures than 2 x 18 loaded enclosures, easier to finish to make look good, etc.

I also saw the thread asking what's the cheapest way to get ULF or something like that. To me, it's like asking what's the cheapest car that will win at Nascar or what's the cheapest rocket that will fly me to the space station. Smoke a joint and use the power of suggestion, it seems to have worked for the ID sub companies for more than a decade.

Been busy. More as I have time...

I was the one asking about sizes on AVS, why 15, etc... Thanks for clarifying... I think your Raptor systems are amazing and I hope to hear them one day...

I'm on the 2nd round on the FTW-21 group buy over on the AVS forum, for four of them. I was planning on going dual opposed and using a LG Clone FP14k at 2 ohms per channel; but, I don't know if the clones can handle that or not? I've heard people are fine with it bridged at 4ohm. They may not do the 2nd round on the group buy so I may have to go a different route, ie HST-18's, or? The new SI driver in the works looks interesting as well. I don't think I have room for the HST24... and doesn't look like there is an HST-15? So I guess 18"+ will be the route. Luckily my wife is a basshead like me  :D

Thanks Boss

I was the one asking about sizes on AVS, why 15, etc... Thanks for clarifying... I think your Raptor systems are amazing and I hope to hear them one day...

I'm on the 2nd round on the FTW-21 group buy over on the AVS forum, for four of them. I was planning on going dual opposed and using a LG Clone FP14k at 2 ohms per channel; but, I don't know if the clones can handle that or not? I've heard people are fine with it bridged at 4ohm. They may not do the 2nd round on the group buy so I may have to go a different route, ie HST-18's, or? The new SI driver in the works looks interesting as well. I don't think I have room for the HST24... and doesn't look like there is an HST-15? So I guess 18"+ will be the route. Luckily my wife is a basshead like me  :D

Thanks Boss

There is a 15HST. Nick builds them and Bosso had one used in his Raptor with an excursion video he posted here. I am slowly doing a home version of Bosso's Raptor cabinet with the 15HST's. I still have to buy one more myself. BUT they are still around.

There is a 15HST. Nick builds them and Bosso had one used in his Raptor with an excursion video he posted here. I am slowly doing a home version of Bosso's Raptor cabinet with the 15HST's. I still have to buy one more myself. BUT they are still around.

Are they on on SI's website? I must have overlooked them? Or are they special order?

Thanks

Just contact Nick. I would just email him. He will be able to tell you everything he can do for you. I know he is restructuring things but if you want a 15 I cant think of a better 15 that has as much displacement as the HST. If you needed a smaller cabinet, then Bosso's cabinets would be the best thing.

Just contact Nick. I would just email him. He will be able to tell you everything he can do for you. I know he is restructuring things but if you want a 15 I cant think of a better 15 that has as much displacement as the HST. If you needed a smaller cabinet, then Bosso's cabinets would be the best thing.

Where do you find specs on boss's cabinets?

Nick is the all-arounf best driver supplier for serious low end system builds in my 20 years involved with DIY subwoofers. He's amenable to specific needs within any of his stock platforms and offers the most displacement in a single driver in all categories of Sd,

Until recently, he has been happy to build one-offs of a certain driver, like the HST-15" version he whipped up for the GTG and that we had the best time torturing and then seriously testing, for single retail end-users. The guy has taken lots of heat for trying to be a participant at AVS and other forums while being himself and in the moment. Who'd a thunk that would be a bad thing? My guess is that shills were dispatched to harass him, but the real reason is irrelevant.

Sadly, I must admit, I was one of, if not the first guy, to post negativity in the AVS DIY thread when Nick introduced the HT series with a pic of the surround stitching running off the surround. Since then, I've gained the due respect for SI and Nick. He knows what he's doing, his product is consistently excellent and the course of product improvement is constant.

I don't know if he'll reconsider building a pair of special drivers here and there, but I certainly hope he will.

In the past, many serious DIY designs have been derailed by the crash and burn of Adire (Tumult, Tumult MKII, Brahma, et al), Haskins (Maelstrom-X, Tempest-X, et al), AE (AV-15, et al), Acoupower (18", 15") and great parts dealers like Kyle Richardson (Acoustic Visions), Brian Bunge (RAD Home Theater), etc.

Support Nick while he's still willing to make next to nothing supplying raw drivers to the DIY market, IMO, FWIW, YMMV. ;)B)

I've been extremely busy sorting out health issues (doing Superman well now, thanks), setting up a shopping cart and CC payment gateway for the checkout pages, a complete re-do of the website, checking out the brand new amplifier line and looking at a custom solution adjustable SEQSS very low cost alternative to the Bassis and other less subwoofer friendly signal shaping choices.

The new site and linked shopping cart, containing all of the new info and limited supply Raptor systems sale will launch sometime in the next two weeks (remember to refresh your caches) after a series of set backs caused by supplies, supplier changes and IT glitches, etc. And, I'll be back here to update more specifically with test results, pics, etc.

We'll be cooking up some very nice stuff with Nick later on, so stay tuned and happy subbing. :D

I've been extremely busy sorting out health issues (doing Superman well now, thanks), setting up a shopping cart and CC payment gateway for the checkout pages, a complete re-do of the website, checking out the brand new amplifier line and looking at a custom solution adjustable SEQSS very low cost alternative to the Bassis and other less subwoofer friendly signal shaping choices.

The new site and linked shopping cart, containing all of the new info and limited supply Raptor systems sale will launch sometime in the next two weeks (remember to refresh your caches) after a series of set backs caused by supplies, supplier changes and IT glitches, etc. And, I'll be back here to update more specifically with test results, pics, etc.

We'll be cooking up some very nice stuff with Nick later on, so stay tuned and happy subbing. :D

Wow all these new products sound awesome. Look forward to the future. I would have bought a ME bassis years ago but just didnt want to deal with that company. SO I will be very happy to see what you come up with Dave. Also glad to see you healthy. (I always thought you were Superman so never knew you needed down time. :D)

And while I dont buy a lot of products the only subwoofer drivers I will be buying will be from Nick. :P

Wow all these new products sound awesome. Look forward to the future. I would have bought a ME bassis years ago but just didnt want to deal with that company. SO I will be very happy to see what you come up with Dave. Also glad to see you healthy. (I always thought you were Superman so never knew you needed down time. :D)

And while I dont buy a lot of products the only subwoofer drivers I will be buying will be from Nick. :P

First custom signal shaper... free shipping to Australia. :lol:

Disclaimer: If caught posting pics that happen to show errant settings, ownership is forfeited and the unit must be returned.

Damn it lol... Do I wait to order my HST-18 till I see this stuff or do it before they disappear lol

I don't see how you'll best the HST-18, so I wouldn't wait. Build it. Build a new one if the future turns your head. B)

First custom signal shaper... free shipping to Australia. :lol:

Disclaimer: If caught posting pics that happen to show errant settings, ownership is forfeited and the unit must be returned.

I dont tend to post pics very often. Some pics are fine but I am used to being on other forums and prefer not to post too much so I dont get scrutinized to the Nth degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Tomorrowland with the better half.

No comments yet, but here's the single scene that's loaded with ULF. I'll wait until someone with full bandwidth playback catches which scene. First one to post the correct chapter and scene description wins.

ahPm7RD.png

dTBEasC.jpg

Archived