The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

The time machine in Project Almanac, anyone?  I'm new to the surround sound world beyond a simple soundbar & bluetooth sub w/satellite speakers.  (had two go kaputt on me in a year's time)  I've an Onkyo receiver with Polk speakers so am nowhere near the advanced arena you folks are!  But I am doing 5.2.  I had one sub at first as was ordering from Amazon.  Got the receiver at Best Buy ($199).  My $89 sub was plugged directly into the tv before I had anything else.  The neighbor across the street said it was rattling his walls.  I had it at max to music.  I immensely appreciate this list!!  I watch a lot of movies.  Luckily I have an XBox1 that allows me to plug my laptop into it & remain streaming movies, as well as tv shows, for free that will still get surround.  I mention such due to realizing why Project Almanac could be a hidden gem?  From my limited experience, the rumbling low frequency was impressive.

Just saw Blade Runner 2049.  I don't know who did the sound design but it sounds like they took some cues from the Transformers movies.  There are a lot of loud, groaning bass sounds when ships fly around and the music score is almost entirely comprised of massive low end metallic drones.  Explosions and guns had some really good punch to them as well.  so it's got a lot of bass.  The theater I saw it in is probably good down to the low 30's so no clue if there's subsonic stuff going on or not, but given the intensity of the higher level bass I'm gonna venture a guess that it's filtered.

The movie itself was pretty good, but not perfect.  Visually it was spectacular.  It shares some common threads with the original but it is definitely it's own movie.  It's far darker and more oppressive visually.  It sounds different, and while there are hints of Vangelis in the score, most of it is comprised of thunderous foghorn blasts that seem determined to wake the dead.  It also feels very different.  Blade Runner was a small story set in a big world.  2049 visits a lot more of this world and feels more apocalyptic in it's scope.

40 minutes ago, MikeDuke said:

Agree on all points regarding audio, video and the movie itself minnjd for Blade Runner 2049.  

Just wanted to add that I did like the movie and my points were mainly nitpicking.  The only real issue I had was that the big apocalyptic event the movie was building towards got abandoned in the last twenty minutes for a much smaller ending that was fine on it's own but felt out of place.

• Like 1

I went with some one who unfortunately, did not see the first one, but I gave a verbal review of what it was about.  This person also likes 2049, after reflection though.  But one thing was the length.  They thought it was too long.  It was long.  2 hours and 43 min is a long movie.  But I keep on saying to myself, what could they have cut.  I won't spoil anything for anybody who hasn't seen it but I do understand.  That is a long running time for a movie like that.  I mean, even the final cut 4k of Blade Runner is just under 2 hours.  I have the BR version of that.  

But I do hope the audio isn't all messed up.  I am holding out hope.  

On 10/10/2017 at 7:02 AM, minnjd said:

Just saw Blade Runner 2049.  I don't know who did the sound design but it sounds like they took some cues from the Transformers movies.  There are a lot of loud, groaning bass sounds when ships fly around and the music score is almost entirely comprised of massive low end metallic drones.  Explosions and guns had some really good punch to them as well.  so it's got a lot of bass.  The theater I saw it in is probably good down to the low 30's so no clue if there's subsonic stuff going on or not, but given the intensity of the higher level bass I'm gonna venture a guess that it's filtered.

The movie itself was pretty good, but not perfect.  Visually it was spectacular.  It shares some common threads with the original but it is definitely it's own movie.  It's far darker and more oppressive visually.  It sounds different, and while there are hints of Vangelis in the score, most of it is comprised of thunderous foghorn blasts that seem determined to wake the dead.  It also feels very different.  Blade Runner was a small story set in a big world.  2049 visits a lot more of this world and feels more apocalyptic in it's scope.

On 10/10/2017 at 8:22 AM, MikeDuke said:

Agree on all points regarding audio, video and the movie itself minnjd for Blade Runner 2049.  

Ya'll crazy. This was wonderful A/V all around (saw in Dolby Cinema) and I can not wait to get it on UHD/BD to watch at home.

This will probably rate well in bass too. It's time will come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Infrasonic said:

Ya'll crazy. This was wonderful A/V all around (saw in Dolby Cinema) and I can not wait to get it on UHD/BD to watch at home.

This will probably rate well in bass too. It's time will come.

I hope so.  I just don't want it clipped all to hell because I did enjoy it.  I hope you're right about the bass.  I do remember though that it wasn't ear blasting loud.  Maybe I jumped the gun about the level.  We shall see.  I hope we get a good home release because it does deserve it.

I didn't ever say that I thought the movie had bad audio or visuals.  Technically the movie is very well done and nearly flawless.

I just didn't always agree artistically with the choices Villaneuve made regarding the visual and audio design.  That's purely subjective to my tastes.

Of course it goes without saying that my taste in movies is perfect.  By that measure everyone else should finally come to terms with the fact that Titanic is a great movie  :P

• Like 1

Is no one going to talk about the audio in Transformers "The Last Knight" whenever Megatron is on camera? The audio has been lightly brushed on here at Data-Bass but I don't recall anyone going into detail. I SpecLab'd a few scenes last night and when Megatron lands in the salt flats the hottest spot is centered at 20 Hz. Sure it's no 7 Hz WOTW, but the sound in the movie makes it worth watching and also using for demo's. I haven't seen much talk about it so I'll go out on a limb and say that I love the proper audio in this movie. 

tenor.gif

• Like 2

Had not got T5 yet on video but will eventually. People love to poop on Michael Bay and T5 has serious issues but in a hobby for A/V..... T5 brings it. Interested in the Atmos track and if it is (better be) a remarkable improvement from T4's barely-Atmos track.

And yes... let's bring back the days when 20hz was cool cuz it still is, imho.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the BladeRunner 2049 soundtrack is good for 10-15hz :)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts-110.html#post55019164

so hopefully the film will also be decent!

I'm also liking the look of Train to Busan:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2763785-ultimate-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts-110.html#post55027082

Seems like it has low overall levels but some big, full-bandwidth hits?

Those looks like bass graphs from the 'music' soundtrack, right?  Typically that doesn't represent the bass levels of the movie itself.  Hans Zimmer is pretty notorious for searching for the brown note on his soundtracks but a lot of the time it get's reduced or modified in the final mix once all the sound effects are competing for the same frequencies.

Still, might be a nice surprise.

• Like 1

Any chance that a GOTG2 BEQ is in the works?  I will have guests next weekend who want to see it, and I want to show off.  :)

Some day, I plan to build a PC for movie playback with a BD drive, so I can do the analysis and do my own BEQ.  I gather that the major info I need to do a good BEQ are channel-by-channel PvAs?

Assuming I can't get a good GOTG2 BEQ before next weekend, I don't suppose anyone would be willing to post channel-by-channel PvAs for GOTG2 somewhere so I can take a crack at one?  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2015 at 8:04 PM, nube said:

Exodus: Gods and Kings (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.24dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.36dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     -  4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Mixed by the same guy who did Star Trek (2009), the sound design is very well articulated, but subtle.  There's nothing even approaching clipping in the whole movie, nor is it soft/hard limited.  It's a nice, fairly clean mix (unlike the upcoming 30Hz blockbuster that everyone's raving about because it's so loud). 

The graphs don't lie - this one's got the goods down low, too.  What's weird is there is a TON of medium level content below 10Hz that is skillfully used to build the mood.  It really imparts power.  The same sound designer who worked on Captain Phillips must have brought a lot of that library over, because it's excellent.  The movie is ho-hum but the sound is good.

PvA:

post-17-0-77882900-1427338978.png

nube,

What happened to the graph for Exodus: Gods and Kings?

I'm only seeing the thumbnail which is the actual size it's seen on the page.

On 11/2/2017 at 2:00 PM, Ricci said:

Puts BR in cart on the Zon...Must purchase nowz.

Sweet, this will be perfect. I can enjoy the movie without a sub and know that I am not missing a damn thing.

(No subs yet because I am still trying to scrape the cash together to buy my drivers...)

Soooo.....you guys (everyone on this forum) needs to purchase Valerian right now. Here are a few screen caps from the first night I tried to watch the movie. I know what you're thinking "now Nick, you said that you 'tried to watch the movie...why did you only try'"? I spent too much time taking screen caps to finish the movie in under 2.5 hours so I had to watch the rest of it the next day.

The movie is awesome IMO. I only have a 4.1 system but the use of the rear/surround channels is immense in this movie. It's really really cool the way they heavily used the surround channels. I can only imagine what this movie must sound like in an Atmos setup. 

Visually the colors and scenes are through the roof. Sound is nuts - PLENTY of low-end throughout the entire movie. But I digress so here are some screen caps from the other night:

Valerian_ImBobBTW.jpg

Valerian_ShortestWay2.jpg

ValerianSeatBelt.jpg

• Like 2