The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Crowsons and even speakers should be fine, like SME said, the LFE channel will have a lowpass that smooths out the corners.  I really only found sharp corners objectionable on  a few films.  Tron:Legacy and Star Trek:Into Deafness were the two that are the worst standouts.  But many films clip.  Many times it is not objectionable.  For instance, both Iron Man and Iron Man 2 clip a lot whenever the repulsors are firing, but I never found it problematic, as the closest thing to repulsors are jet engines, which clip our ears.  But when you clip a violin, or something that is very familiar, it just sounds wrong.

Star Trek 2009, for all its accolades, clips the warp booms (WTF are they 'supposed' to sound like?).  But they still sound great.  At the same time, the film clips hardly anything else.

JSS

• Like 3

Well, I watched Kong Skull Island this weekend.  Not going to list the level because it was low.  But I thought it sounded really good and the Crowsons did add a nice touch to it.  I give it high marks for audio. I only have a 5.1 system but I used the Atmos sound track so I got the 5.1 TRUHD audio.  I don't know if the DTS-MA track would sound any different (better).  

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 8:35 PM, maxmercy said:

Star Trek 2009, for all its accolades, clips the warp booms (WTF are they 'supposed' to sound like?).  But they still sound great.  At the same time, the film clips hardly anything else.

JSS

Personally I thought the warp booms sounded very close to the real thing......

On 8/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, MemX said:

I bought that space shuttle blu ray, the one narrated by Leonardo di Caprio - the shuttle launch is a ruined, clipped, utterly flat-topped mess - I was concerned for my speakers!

Yeah, that one is a mess, and it has almost no deep bass either.

What's causing all that clipping are transient "crackles" with enormous bass energy that extends all the way down to the single digits.  The above recording doesn't capture that at all.

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:16 PM, SME said:

Yeah, that one is a mess, and it has almost no deep bass either.

What's causing all that clipping are transient "crackles" with enormous bass energy that extends all the way down to the single digits.  The above recording doesn't capture that at all.

I guess it must be incredibly difficult to record, needing massive dynamic range capabilities, so that it can capture the delicate bird song and gently chatting of the public in the viewing area, but then deal with what must be, what, 120? 130? 140? dB of noise down to single digits.

The only time I've been to America (many years ago) we were doing the Florida thing and they had a launch scheduled - we were thinking about going to view it but decided not to, and it was cancelled in the end anyway.  Would have been awesome to see and feel!

2 hours ago, dgage said:

Funny that many in this forum are among the very few in the world that could actually faithfully reproduce such a recording.  Really wish we could get a quality recording of one of the launches. Would be phenomenal.

That would be the Katz recording, here (registration required):

https://www.digido.com/portfolio-item/we-have-lift-off-now-in-surround/

Make sure you get the 4.0 version without the music.

On 8/30/2017 at 2:06 AM, MemX said:

I guess it must be incredibly difficult to record, needing massive dynamic range capabilities, so that it can capture the delicate bird song and gently chatting of the public in the viewing area, but then deal with what must be, what, 120? 130? 140? dB of noise down to single digits.

The recording at the public viewing area peaks in the 120s.  Of course, that's like 3 miles away from the actual launch site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2017 at 5:35 AM, SME said:

Do you have the Bob Katz Space Shuttle Launch recording?  As far as I know, it is not clipped, but I could be wrong.

The only copy I have is a 6 (4 active) channel version.  And it's not clipped.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxpd84c7j0yq8qf/Discovery 96K Surr T minus 1 min to T%2B1.flac?dl=0

IIRC, +7dB is about right.

edit:  Oh wow, I totally missed the post just above.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done measurements and other tests that are done on this site for Transformers The Last Knight.  I heard it was not good at all, but that chart does look pretty good.  Hopefully it does not clip that much and I am wondering if I should pick it up just to complete the series.  But you know I am looking for something like 

Transformers:

Level: 4 Stars (111.57dB composite)
Extension: 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics: 4 Stars (25.98dB)
Execution: 4 Stars - This was a terrific film, and got many into the subwoofer realm because of Ironhide's flip. If it wasn't for a single effect, though, this would only be a 19Hz extension film, hence the 4 Star rating. The best part of this film is that most explosions that are wide bandwidth (and therefore do not contribute much to peak levels) extend down into the teens if not single digits, and it is easily palpable.

And to know if it is clipped?

Just wondering :)

bmoney, I also heard it was awful.  If you look, those numbers are for the first movie that was just called Transformers.  That's why it says "it's a terrific film".  This one is supposed to be horrible.  I was just wondering if someone was going to put down measurements like they do for other films: 

Level:  

Extension: 
Dynamics: 
Execution

You know, that kind of stuff.  It is supposed to be really bad but it is a Transformer movie.  But, if the audio is really good, then I might just get it for the visual and audio and hope the next ones are better.  Sorry for the confusion.                                        

I'm guessing someone will measure it 'officially' soon enough.  Won't be me though.  I've really cut back on my movie purchases this year (single income family situation), and I'm pretty sure this movie isn't worth my hard earned cash.

It was funny reading the note that came with the theatrical distribution though.  It gave explicit instructions of where the sound levels should be set (85dB reference).  I asked the theater owner in my town is he followed it.  He laughed and said 'no'.

Smart man.......

Judging by the previous movies and Bay's own penchant for excess I'm guessing the audio will be wall to wall racket with some heavy clipping.  Look at the average on that graph.  It's rare for it to get that close to the peak unless there's damn near constant bass.