The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

5 hours ago, SbWillie said:

The Promise has quite a few decent scenes. I have no idea if they fall under 20hz...and yes it starts out as a chick flick but improves GREATLY during the 2nd half.

Hey!  Who said there's anything wrong with chick flicks?  ... assuming they have good bass, of course.  ;)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dolby ATMOS - 7.1 channel bed measured)

5ac0137253753_StarWarsTheLastJedi.thumb.jpg.dba635af6894352ee6b4d16db7247bcf.jpg

Level - 1 Star (104.91dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.19dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes - obviously mixed below theatrical reference, with a dynamic, unclipped presentation.  Playback at -4 to 0dBRef for best results.  Solid soundtrack.  Gets even better with BEQ.

JSS

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maxmercy said:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dolby ATMOS - 7.1 channel bed measured)

5ac0137253753_StarWarsTheLastJedi.thumb.jpg.dba635af6894352ee6b4d16db7247bcf.jpg

Level - 1 Star (104.91dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.19dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Notes - obviously mixed below theatrical reference, with a dynamic, unclipped presentation.  Playback at -4 to 0dBRef for best results.  Solid soundtrack.  Gets even better with BEQ.

JSS

Pretty cool. At least it doesn't cut off at 50 Hz or anything silly like that. Looks like it should be good. :D

8 hours ago, maxmercy said:

Finn's head bumping into the thing above his hospital bed when he wakes up.

JSS

Did you notice sound coming from the overhead channels, during scenes with ships flying front to back, or back to front? Even though Dolby Atmos has been around for a while, it still seems that most mixers are reluctant to use the ceiling channels. Hopefully, this film was remixed for Blu-ray at Skywalker Sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently finished my first of 2 infrasound subs (Sundown Audio ZV4 18D2 in a 160L sealed enclosure), so I was hoping to get some suggestions on some good soundtracks/songs too test the sub 20hz content. Some movies I'll be testing soon: Dunkirk 4K HDR 5.1, Star Wars The Last Jedi 4K HDR Atmos. Any film out there which is ridiculously good to test my system (11.2 Atmos with a 4K HDR OLED)? I'm gonna rewatch Hacksaw Ridge again soon too, as I've read some things about that one particular artillery scene. Also planning a full rewatch of the LOTR trilogy soon, so if there are particular scenes in there known for good bass, I'm eager to hear it. 

The Incredible Hulk is still the track I compare all others to.  A close second is the Star Trek reboot, War of the Worlds, and all of the 5-Star films on the first page of the thread.

For lots of 20Hz and below energy, Battle:LA is hard to beat as well.

JSS

• Like 4

Agreed with @maxmercy list there.

Both Dunkirk and Jedi will not be great titles to test <20hz content, imo. They will both have powerful bass but >20hz (which isn't a bad thing).

I can think of a handful of "scenes" to test out for true ULF.

Entering the Grid - Tron Legacy

Elysium - laser templates being cycled through before cutting into Bugattipod

Captain America: Winter Solider - vending machine

Hurt Locker - M2 .50cal scene

Lone Survivor - the whole Chinook sequence

Edge of Tomorrow - opening title ULF

Dredd - interrogation scene

Pulse - server scene (~18hz but sustained, trip dem breakers!)

and more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Infrasonic said:

Agreed with @maxmercy list there.

Both Dunkirk and Jedi will not be great titles to test <20hz content, imo. They will both have powerful bass but >20hz (which isn't a bad thing).

I can think of a handful of "scenes" to test out for true ULF.

Entering the Grid - Tron Legacy

Elysium - laser templates being cycled through before cutting into Bugattipod

Captain America: Winter Solider - vending machine

Hurt Locker - M2 .50cal scene

Lone Survivor - the whole Chinook sequence

Edge of Tomorrow - opening title ULF

Dredd - interrogation scene

Pulse - server scene (~18hz but sustained, trip dem breakers!)

and more

Well I didnt pick them because of their bass content, but because liked them very much, and they have gorgeous visuals :) I did however notice the lack of true subbass content, so good to know it's the films themselves, and not my system. I see Captain America: Winter Soldier is up there on the list, and oh boy what a coincidence! I was gonna watch that one with my 2 little brothers (10 and 12yo) in preparation of infinity war. Thanks for the scene list, will see if I can get my hands on some of those titles. 

Does anyone know how much ULF content the Dolby Atmos demo discs features? That is one impressive list of clips (surround wise).. My brothers jaw literally dropped on the floor. It's my new number 1 clip. The ULF did seem amazing in it. Can I measure this myself? I have an UMIK-1 but I have no idea how to measure something like that. The clips are only 30 seconds long most of the time. 

Also, any song recommendations for ULF?  

I think "How to Train Your Dragon" should be near the top of the list for ULF as well, and it's also a pretty good movie if you like family / animation.  Some would argue it's tilted toward the bottom a bit too much.  The movie is full of ULF, but one  noteworthy scene is maybe 1/3 of the way through in a large hall with a lot of thunder and a big door slam.  That door really gets the air moving and is very noticeable because it is an isolated effect.

Another animated movie with great overall bass and plenty of ULF is "9".  It has many good effects.  Among my favorites are the scene about 1/4 of the way through which bombs being dropped and huge mecha stomping around.  A good one-off effect is the firing of the artillery near the end.

The Dolby Atmos trailers I'm familiar with don't have a lot of ULF, but there are a few minor moments.  In "Amaze", the "thundering bass" scene has some 14 Hz.  I think it also has some 16 Hz at the very end.  IIRC the leaf demo also has some 16 Hz at the end but nothing else.  The "Horizon" demo has a few moments with moderate ULF, but it's completely inconsistent.  The "Unfold" demo actually has good extension but isn't especially loud.

Unfortunately, the trend with newer movies seems to be more filtering.  A handful of us are able to work around this issue by re-EQing the soundtrack before bass management.  Other than "Hacksaw Ridge", another recent Atmos mix that has ULF is "Wonder Woman".  Even though most of the content is above 20 Hz, there's enough below 20 Hz to matter and the bass overall is top notch IMO.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Droogne said:

Well I didnt pick them because of their bass content, but because liked them very much, and they have gorgeous visuals :) I did however notice the lack of true subbass content, so good to know it's the films themselves, and not my system. I see Captain America: Winter Soldier is up there on the list, and oh boy what a coincidence! I was gonna watch that one with my 2 little brothers (10 and 12yo) in preparation of infinity war. Thanks for the scene list, will see if I can get my hands on some of those titles. 

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Droogne said:

Does anyone know how much ULF content the Dolby Atmos demo discs features? That is one impressive list of clips (surround wise).. My brothers jaw literally dropped on the floor. It's my new number 1 clip. The ULF did seem amazing in it. Can I measure this myself? I have an UMIK-1 but I have no idea how to measure something like that. The clips are only 30 seconds long most of the time. 

Not much. There will be some, sure but not a note-worthy amount. The point of those demos is to demo Atmos. ;)

3 hours ago, SME said:

Unfortunately, the trend with newer movies seems to be more filter

Hogwash.

It only seems like a "trend" because audio enthusiasts started graphing bass when things started to get interesting and the industry has reeled back, for the most part, since. Look at it another way and bass content in film <25hz is the exception rather than the rule. For every "filtered" new movie there is one or more that isn't. Also depends on what bandwidth of movie titles you consume.

Fortunately, the trend with newer movies is better surround mixes but we don't talk about that here. :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Infrasonic said:

The point of those demos is to demo Atmos. ;)

Well I'm looking for the best combination! A 4K HDR OLED styled demo (as in: scenes that specifically show the power of true black, mixed with gorgeous colours and extremely high resolution), with an Atmos mix made to showcase the ingenuousness of an 11 surround (and good sounding audio if at all possible in this kind of mixes) and last but not least, some high level ULF. That way I could just demo one "one-in-all"  clip. I got some pretty neat perfect black clips (something from LG showcasing flowers on a black background, crazy resolution ö), an amazing HDR clip (sony bravia OLED demo clip) and the Atmos demos for Atmos (duh). Now I just need some good good ULF clips and I'm (almost) done hehe. 

9 minutes ago, Infrasonic said:

Hogwash.

It only seems like a "trend" because audio enthusiasts started graphing bass when things started to get interesting and the industry has reeled back, for the most part, since. Look at it another way and bass content in film <25hz is the exception rather than the rule. For every "filtered" new movie there is one or more that isn't. Also depends on what bandwidth of movie titles you consume.

Fortunately, the trend with newer movies is better surround mixes but we don't talk about that here. :P

I only got into ULF a few days ago, so I'm hoping to form up my own opinion about movies. I'm actually more a TV show watcher, watching (a literal) 124 TV-shows at the moment.. But moveies are sooooo much more rewarding once you have a good surround/sound system. The bass in TV shows is really lacking :( The Punisher does use some extensive bass, although I doubt it is ULF. 

45 minutes ago, Infrasonic said:

Hogwash.

I can agree to your first statements, but I'm confused by what you mean in bold here.  Do you mean to say that there are many more unfiltered movies than it appears because many movies are not measured here?

Yes, good surround mixing is a big plus too, as well as is overall better tonal balance, which also has a big impact on the perception of both bass and ambiance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Droogne said:

I only got into ULF a few days ago, so I'm hoping to form up my own opinion about movies. I'm actually more a TV show watcher, watching (a literal) 124 TV-shows at the moment.. But moveies are sooooo much more rewarding once you have a good surround/sound system. The bass in TV shows is really lacking :( The Punisher does use some extensive bass, although I doubt it is ULF. 

You'll be surprised once in a while.  Some TV shows do have some good ULF, albeit it can be spotty and inconsistent sometimes, and it's rarely as loud (relative to the dialog) as in movies.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SME said:

You'll be surprised once in a while.  Some TV shows do have some good ULF, albeit it can be spotty and inconsistent sometimes, and it's rarely as loud (relative to the dialog) as in movies.

I hope to be surprised! I watch almost everything new (and old) which comes close to being good, so I'll look out and maybe make a list ;)