Forums, end of life?

Kyle

Hey folks, I think everything runs its course and since I have not been updating db.com, I have not giving much attention to the forums either.  At this point, there is a ton of great discussion here. I think invision has a self hosted option, but I don't see a price for it. It might be expensive too.

In any case, these forums are $30 a month and lately I don't see the value in keeping em going because we don't have a lot of activity. I don't want all the content deleted, but I'm at a point where $30 every month is getting old for me. Any thoughts? I'm also willing to transfer ownership if anyone wants to take these over.

• Sad 1

• Kyle changed the title to Forums, end of life?
7 minutes ago, klipsch said:

Hey Kyle, 

Appreciate all your time, effort, and money in keeping this place going. 

Sad to see it go. 

I can only second this, you were doing god's work here, much appreciated.

Would be neat if there was a way to archive everything and make it accessible, since theres tons of valuable information on here.

I've been thinking about something like this for a while, just not in this context, but how about moving data-bass/those who are interested over to Discord? I'm member of two other audio-related Discord servers and the information throughput and value in the discussion is through the roof! The instant-messanger style combined with forum architecture is super cool imo. We could make a new server with live sound&cinema sound based topics.

Any thoughts?

Happy new year all!

Kyle, please also accept my gratitude for what you've done already and for your willingness to consider transfer of ownership.

Peniku8, please accept my apology for not getting back to you last spring.  It was a crazy time, and I ended up needing to take a break from things for a while.

I hope that these forums continue in some form or another.  This leads to a very important question:  What is to become of the rest of the data-bass.com website?  To be honest, I'm not clear on how ownership and responsibilities are shared between Kyle and Josh Ricci.  Is Ricci around to speak for himself?

Some more questions for Kyle:

• How quickly are you wanting to finish your role?  Do you want to wrap this up ASAP?  Or are you ok with keeping things going to allow some time to do a transition?
  • Do you have access to useful stats for the site?  For example, view rate, unique visitor rate, data transfer trends, total users, etc..  Some of these stats could be useful if exploring service alternatives.

Looking ahead, unless we decide stick with Invision, we really have two concerns to discuss.  The first is to do with preserving the existing (legacy) content.  The second is to do with finding a new home.  Regarding the first concern, I worked with Kyle in the past to do some automated changes to the content to correct broken links caused by limitations in Invision's automatic upgrades.  With his help, I can probably download the content and convert it into static web pages that could be served from any static host.

Ideally, we would have continuity between the old and new system, with no break in the conversations, but that may be difficult unless we stick with the existing Invision platform.  We'd have to migrate user accounts in addition to conversations.  With something like Discord, I don't think this could be accomplished easily if at all.  I don't think Discord can import the archived legacy content either, so we'd still need a static host for it.  The archived legacy content could be served from the same place as the main data-bass site, but that depends on its future as well.

I have a number of other significant reservations about using Discord which I can outline later, but I do concede it has a big advantage in that it's low cost (or free) and low effort to administer.

Anyway, I hope Kyle and/or Ricci can clarify the situation with the main site, and I also hope we hear from more forum participants, particularly those who might be interested in contributing in some way.  Speak up!

• Like 1

Kyle let's have a conversation soon. I can take over the payments for some time. I'd really hate to lose everything at either the main site or the forum, but since I've been spending times with other endeavors for a few years and don't have time to post like I used to the traffic has gone downhill. Perhaps there is an interested party at another website or forum that would be interested in taking over? 

Unfortunately for the future I  don't know if or when I'll have time to do testing like I used to. I have far too much on my plate. 

I have no web developer or programming skills and no time to learn it either so that's another piece of the problem. 

• Like 1

Even in an archived state the site is very useful,  I don't know anywhere else with such subwoofer data.  30$ a month to run a small forum is excessive, there are few active threads like the SKRAM and SKHORN thread, these could be restarted on DIYA?

Perhaps the forum content could be captured somehow and hosted cheaply?

Hi ! I've been surfing the forum since a few days as a guest. 30$ is indeed a heavy price for a forum, I guess i needed to create an account to share my though on this.

First of all, thanks to Kyle and the moderators for all the work around this forum it's a little gold mine. I know and used the wayback machine to scroll through some long gon website or even access file deleted years ago, maybe this could be the way to preserve this forum in a last and final state ? http://web.archive.org/

I also own a website based accessible for free, gathering slowly more and more cabinet plans, though I cannot host a forum with it, I would be very happy to centralise the cabinet plans and side informations that has existed on this forum as a way of preserving the work and knowledge already done (PS: SKHORN and SKRAM interests me very much ! 🙂). https://planssystemes.notion.site/

My website costs me 0$ per months when I don't modify it thanks to Notion, so I'm in a state of mind of keeping it up for as long as possible.

Let me know what yall think about it.

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 2:18 PM, Kyle said:

Hey folks, I think everything runs its course and since I have not been updating db.com, I have not giving much attention to the forums either.  At this point, there is a ton of great discussion here. I think invision has a self hosted option, but I don't see a price for it. It might be expensive too.

In any case, these forums are $30 a month and lately I don't see the value in keeping em going because we don't have a lot of activity. I don't want all the content deleted, but I'm at a point where $30 every month is getting old for me. Any thoughts? I'm also willing to transfer ownership if anyone wants to take these over.

Hey Kyle.

I have a message to pass along from a fellow member of AVS who is offering an option to keep DB open.

"Gentlemen, I have a surplus of open website hosting slots. what can I do to help save the site and data? I'm over at AVS, codename Deaf Forever. Message me over there for contact info and further discussion. I have tons of room and bandwidth. The only cost is the domain if we want that to go as well or it would get a sub domain like data-bass.deathfromabove. com.... mostly kidding.

;)

Tell me how I can help. This is way too valuable to let it fade away.

DF"

Let me know id you need me to pass along your reply if you're not on AVS,

Regards,

Darrell

#SaveTheBass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/4/2023 at 12:47 PM, Ricci said:

Kyle let's have a conversation soon. I can take over the payments for some time. I'd really hate to lose everything at either the main site or the forum, but since I've been spending times with other endeavors for a few years and don't have time to post like I used to the traffic has gone downhill. Perhaps there is an interested party at another website or forum that would be interested in taking over? 

Unfortunately for the future I  don't know if or when I'll have time to do testing like I used to. I have far too much on my plate. 

I have no web developer or programming skills and no time to learn it either so that's another piece of the problem. 

I'm happy to help as well if others want to partner up. Otherwise I'm going to make my own as an exercise to learn .NET in any case.

• 1 month later...

I took data-bass for granted and now it's gone...😩

Didn't even have a chance to offer Josh to take my money to keep it going...😫

We coulda did some targeted troll marketing to brand this website as, "The Site All Speaker Companies HATE,"...😭

Trump could have sold his NFT's on the site and we could have just been perpetually self-funded by idiots...😣

Why do all my good ideas come so late in the game.  Makes me...🤢🤮

12 minutes ago, WannaKatana said:

Biden supporter still? That's scary. Exponential Delusion. 

You're right.  The name calling was uncalled for.  Not my style mix bass and politics.  I purchased his Superhero NFT back when they were for sale... being such a huge Marvel / Comicbook fan in general, it was just too juicy to pass up.  Just wish a portion of the proceeds would have been used to keep this site going!

Its not (which is good news), mongodb did an upgrade from 5 to 6 and the driver I'm using in nodejs is not working with the changes. I need to make several code changes to hook that up. 

the second issue is a refactor I did a while back but didnt correctly update the react UI to work with the new API so we can't create or edit any systems or drivers. Its a bit more work for figure that out, but my guess is about 3-4 days tops. I might be able to do it in this quarter.

On 8/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, popalock said:

I took data-bass for granted and now it's gone...😩

Didn't even have a chance to offer Josh to take my money to keep it going...😫

We coulda did some targeted troll marketing to brand this website as, "The Site All Speaker Companies HATE,"...😭

Trump could have sold his NFT's on the site and we could have just been perpetually self-funded by idiots...😣

Why do all my good ideas come so late in the game.  Makes me...🤢🤮

LOL, ya, it takes work to maintain or make money. nothing is easy, but I do want to try and limp this project along if I can. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 1:18 PM, Kyle said:

As I said, I would be happy to take it over. I have a place to host it.