The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Resident Evil: Retribution (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (112.46dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.77dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Deep content near DC from the beginning.  Most of the hot content is around 18Hz, but there's plenty below that, too.  Completely over-the-top bass in every scene, resulting in low dynamics.

PvA:

post-17-0-25547500-1402677835_thumb.png

I know I already suggested it, but I really think you should measure Slumdog Millionaire, there was a surprising amount of low bass in there.

Especially a chopper scene at the beginning was crazy:

post-1300-0-48029500-1402681178_thumb.jpg

Another scene later in the movie:

post-1300-0-76416600-1402681206_thumb.jpg

Lots of the bass comes from the score, there was a scene about an hour into the movie which had some loud 30Hz hits from music.

As for Trance (which I mentioned earlier too), it seems like this doesn't go as low as I thought. Skipped through the movie and could only find scenes with loud 30Hz but nothing below that, although there may be scenes that go lower (been a while since I watched it). I definitely liked the way bass was used (and the soundtrack overall), but it sounded like there was some clipping.

Well this is now officially my go to thread (I think it was anyway) given the changes over on the other forum. Much more user friendly IMO. Avatar tonight took me a while to get to this and I thought the movie wasn't bad but felt they missed a bit of an opportunity with the bass in that film. Could've been insane in some scenes but didn't deliver enough to match the action. There was some good stuff in there but at times you didn't expect it. A punch delivered more than an explosion? I didn't run the subs as hot as usual but still felt it missed an opportunity to be a five star monster. Great sound mix overall though? Also revisited OZ. A very underrated score. Some great bass scenes in that film.

Just watched "Finding Nemo" last evening ... fun movie with pleasant LFE and a good overall soundtrack throughout - and then the 'Darla tapping on the fish tank scene !!!  Her twelve taps on the tank sounded incredible !!!  It comes with about 20 minutes to go in the movie and is at the beginning of Chapter 25, very convenient for replay.  In fact, I'm about to open up the return Netflix envelope for another listen before sending it back tomorrow.

Again, the sound was incredible and my SVS PC12+ managed the proceeding wonderfully :-)

I've never even heard of it, but I'll add it to the list.  In the future, there's probably no reason to add movies that have been really disappointing for bass.  If they don't rate for you, the probably don't rate for us.  I mean, we could start adding movies made before 1980, and lots of romcoms, but what's the point?  :)

The Lego Movie (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.44dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (18Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.71dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Notes:  Nothing in this one's sound design really stood out as a glaring weakness, which probably means it was pretty decent.  The bass never presented as exemplary, but neither was it terribly lacking aside from the complete removal of anything in the bottom octaves.  I found the movie to be less awesome than the main song would have you think, but still watchable. 

PvA:

post-17-0-98425400-1403036226_thumb.png

Perfect one for the Caps! Already seen it in the movies and liked the film but went with my son and didn't expect to like it. Low expectations = Pleasant Surprise. Hard to tell at the time but bass seemed pretty good. I guess the figures show it to be the perfect theatre mix? Maybe even a touch lower?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.88dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.33dB)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Lots of DC noise, and quite a few big hits down there.  Not that much else to speak of in the way of big effects.

PvA:

post-17-0-45499900-1403189343_thumb.png

• Like 1

Jurassic Park (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.79dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (24.7Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.0dB)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Notes:  An oldie but a goodie, at least for its time.  It's hard to say exactly what version this was besides it being 2D, since it was from Netflix, but it had the Plain Jane disc printing.  At least it was 7.1.

PvA:

post-17-0-23398500-1403190013_thumb.png

The Machine (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.77dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.34dB)

Overall     - 4 Stars

Notes:  Low levels, but a bunch of super deep content in the last half of the movie.  You'll miss most of it with a ported sub system.

PvA:

post-17-0-96506000-1403190274_thumb.png

McCanick (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (103.14dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.84dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Avoid or Rent (by poll)

Notes:  A bunch of noise throughout the movie from DC-2Hz.  The rest of the movie is very low level.  Some scenes with bass exist, but only a few "big" effects.  Terrible movie.

PvA:

post-17-0-56092600-1403190554_thumb.png

13 Sins (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.52dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (12Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.24dB)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Notes:  Content to 10Hz in the very beginning.  A few scenes after that with stuff from 2-5Hz.

PvA:

post-17-0-92804300-1403190776_thumb.png

Cowboys & Aliens (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.0dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (25.2Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.17dB)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Notes:  Watching this with a ported sub a few years back, I though the bass was magnificent.  Figures, as it's essentially brick-wall filtered at 30Hz.  Lots of bass up there, though.  For S&G's, here's the link to my previous comments about this film @ AVS.

PvA:

post-17-0-38281900-1403191266_thumb.png

Can you do a couple of waterfalls from Oblivion? Specifically I'd like to see the rig explosion at around 28 minutes, the drone battle in the bunker at around 1:30, and the final explosion at around 1:45.  I'm not sure of those timestamps as I am not home, but if you see this before I update them, I would like to see those.

Edit: scratch that, somehow I completely missed the Oblivion post and assumed everything in the Oblivion thread would be what you have. Thanks!

300: Rise of an Empire (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.17dB composite)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.55dB)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Notes:  Most of the bass content is at or around 30Hz, but there is some below that which is rolled off, notably to 10Hz or so.  DC noise garners the 5-Star extension rating.

PvA:

post-17-0-17753200-1403631857_thumb.png

Blood Ties (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (103.05dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (15Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (34.71dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.75 Stars

Notes:  Very little bass in this until the end of the movie and credits.

PvA:

post-17-0-44685800-1403632077_thumb.png