The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Ok, this isn't music or a film but please could we add the following to the 'To Rate' list?

Supersonics - Just Jets All Audio

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00066EL4Y/

Round Sounds Vol 1, Featuring the Unique Sounds of Radial Engine Aircraft

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C7P9C0/

I was just playing the first one at -3 with the windows slightly ajar (you can hear the birds singing in the background on the CD before getting deafened by a passing jet lol) then went outside to get something from the car, and my neighbour was outside looking at the sky, saying "Did you hear that?"  LOL

Rio (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (102.4dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.12dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  One effect at 13Hz gives it the rating.  Most other content is 30Hz and above.  Surprising lack of bass levels and effects given Randy Thom's work on this mix.

PvA:

post-17-0-74097300-1405777242_thumb.png

Rio 2 (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (98.98dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.16dB)

Execution - 1 Star (by poll)

Overall     - 2.5 Stars

Notes:  Incredibly low levels, which is odd for a Randy Thom mix.  I expected a lot more - not sure why, after the first one - but there's basically nothing here.

PvA:

post-17-0-62649200-1405777524_thumb.png

10,000 B.C. (5.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.8dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.77dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Notes:  The mammoth hunt (11.35 - 15.45 mark, see graph below) has massive content from 1-35Hz.  The rest of the movie is pretty ho-hum for bass, and I thought the flick was mediocre overall.

PvA:

post-17-0-82563400-1405777882_thumb.png

Mammoth Hunt (11.35-12.30)

post-17-0-18477500-1405778425_thumb.png

5 Days of War (5.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.97dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.88dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

Notes:  Absolutely truckloads of content below 20Hz, with some of it shockingly high-amplitude.  Unfortunately, most of the hottest content is below 2Hz, and likely filtered out by our signal chains.  Terrible movie.

PvA:

post-17-0-36281600-1405778803_thumb.png

30 Days of Night (5.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.98dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.68dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Notes:  Besides one scene with a few 16Hz hits, this is a 30Hz film.

PvA:

post-17-0-63670600-1405779046_thumb.png

Rio 2 (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level - 1 Star (98.98dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.16dB)

Execution - Will poll

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - Will poll

Notes: Incredibly low levels, which is odd for a Randy Thom mix. I expected a lot more - not sure why, after the first one - but there's basically nothing here.

PvA:

Rio2-PvA.PNG

I really noticed the low levels. Posted about It in the AVS bass thread. I had it at -10 and it was still lower than most movies at -20.

Noah (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.68dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.58dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4 Stars

Notes:  Another blockbuster with a rolled off low end.  While it's not severely rolled off, the content is centered around 35Hz.  There is stuff below that, but it's significantly lower level.  And, ya know, a biblical flood movie really should have the super deep bass content.  Good visuals, decent audio, so-so movie.

PvA:

post-17-0-83344600-1406640236_thumb.png

I have now got the first of my two dual 18" PPSL subs in place :) so now I need to run REW, sort out EQ on the low end to boost if necessary, then re-watch my entire collection... :lol:  lol

It's good to feel some of the lower stuff that was missing on my ported SVS, WotW plane crash scene definitely had content there the other night that wasn't there before, as did the Balrog scene in LotR: FotR this morning before work, but I think it could be louder so MiniDSP or a Bassis from Bosso looks like it is required!

Oldie but a goodie. Transformers Revenge of The Fallen. Good flick and full of great bass scenes all the way.

What a terrible movie, so bad it is good.  The 'Flash Gordon' of this generation.  But what it lacks in storytelling and acting is made up for with some of the best visuals and sound ever put onto BluRay.  Near full-bandwidth LFE, from just under 20Hz to far above 100Hz.  Great stuff.  Some of the best midbass slam ever in a film.  One of the few films that had more impact in the theater than at home, due to midbass suckouts in smaller rooms (working on solving that problem)... 

JSS

What a terrible movie, so bad it is good. The 'Flash Gordon' of this generation. But what it lacks in storytelling and acting is made up for with some of the best visuals and sound ever put onto BluRay. Near full-bandwidth LFE, from just under 20Hz to far above 100Hz. Great stuff. Some of the best midbass slam ever in a film. One of the few films that had more impact in the theater than at home, due to midbass suckouts in smaller rooms (working on solving that problem)...

JSS

"So bad its good". Agreed. How many films try (do they try) to pull it off and fail miserably? Will be buying this one I liked the mix so much on my Captivators. Loved the multiple sweeps throughout and bass has much variation to it. As much fun as you can have with your pants on!