The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

I only had one passive, ported 2011 Captivator, and I totally do not miss it even slightly.  It was a good ported sub - JTR makes high quality everything.  But, giving about $100 more than what I sold the Cap for got my current setup that outclasses it by a mile in both capability and looks.  ;)  DIY sealed was a huge upgrade for me.  HUGE!  I thank many of the knowledgeable guys around here for providing the info to push me in that direction - bosso, penngray, ricci, FOH, maxmercy, Mark Seaton, etc.

I couldn't really fathom how big of an upgrade it was until I had measured and EQ'd the sealed subs flat to below 5Hz and started to critically view demo scenes and rewatch movies.  The difference is night and day, but I would never have known without being able to A/B compare the ported Cap to the sealed dual opposed in my own room.  Funny thing, too - having dual subs didn't smooth my in-room response at all.  I have a terrible room, but, with thoughtful use of EQ, it sounds as good as it can.

Also remeasured Gamer (jumped from a 4 to 4.5) and LOTR:TTT Ext (jumped from a 3 to 3.75).

I have all the Resident Evils, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Colombiana, Unstoppable, The International, and Devil's Due measured. I'll be posting those in the coming week. 

Not many great upcoming releases to speak of besides Lone Survivor and Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - both have very solid numbers.

Please don't forget the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies Nube. :)

What is the enclosure size of your subs nube?

Now you have me intrigued

They're right at 3cuft each, each with dual FiCar SSD-15 - the old version.  Bosso gave me a great deal, as they were lightly used in testing of his early Raptor (or whatever they were called) designs.

Please don't forget the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies Nube. :)

He's on the list, but I can only get one or two on BR from Netflix.

They're right at 3cuft each, each with dual FiCar SSD-15 - the old version.  Bosso gave me a great deal, as they were lightly used in testing of his early Raptor (or whatever they were called) designs.

He's on the list, but I can only get one or two on BR from Netflix.

Whatever you can, I appreciate your time and commitment, GoldenEye is the main one. :)

I'll measure whatever I can get.  Unfortunately, Goldeneye in Blu-ray isn't on Netflix.  Die Another Day and The World Is Not Enough are, though.

As for Lone Survivor, if people have sealed subs and don't get serious excursion and pressurization from their subs in the noted scene, they either have severe roll-off in their signal chain or not enough subs.  It's legit.

Jonam. Did you find golden eye had good bass? I did not. Rewatching it years later was a kick in the teeth for the good memories I had of that movie.

No, there was something boomy about it..terrible..it was taken from the original DVD master from 1999 without any thought of mixing it properly. It is hard to believe that this film was 1995! 19 yrs ago!

Seems like the other day Brosnan became Bond. Still I prefer Dalton to him.

I'll measure whatever I can get.  Unfortunately, Goldeneye in Blu-ray isn't on Netflix.  Die Another Day and The World Is Not Enough are, though.

As for Lone Survivor, if people have sealed subs and don't get serious excursion and pressurization from their subs in the noted scene, they either have severe roll-off in their signal chain or not enough subs.  It's legit.

No prob Nube, interesting to see what these measure at least..also a kick in the teeth for you to watch them again and see how the Brosnan films fare today. :)

Can you give some approximate timecodes for the scene?

I won't have time to view the movie anytime soon but I think I can manage a little demo viewing :)

The International (5.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 1 Star (104.91dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (16Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.19dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Hardly any bass until the second half of the movie.  Low levels; only average extension.

PvA:

post-17-0-95622600-1401490737_thumb.png

Devil's Due (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.5dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (31Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.35dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Very steeply filtered at 39Hz.

PvA:

post-17-0-38870500-1401491127_thumb.png

Seal Team Eight: Behind Enemy Lines (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (112.45dB composite)
Extension - 4 Star (13Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.43dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Avoid (by poll)

Notes:  Lots of stuff from 10-20Hz, but the bass effects are clearly reused frequently throughout the movie, which seems cheap.  It even goes so far as to have the exact same 20s bass effects sequences at three different parts.  Terrible movie.

PvA:

post-17-0-06618100-1401493541_thumb.png

Good one. I rarely get to the cinema these days but Lego Movie seemed like it had some great LFE. On another note I would contribute more to the voting but by the time I can rent movies here (Australia) it's old news to you guys and the polling is closed. Sadly my post match analysis will be all I can offer.