The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Nice Nube!  will be adding that to my rental list...

I would like to request "Adventures in Zambezia".  Based on the one graph posted at the other forum (post 16086 pg. 537) this movie could be excellent. 

It shows content down below 5Hz...I would post the graph, but have tried now four times and cannot post a link or a pic.

Cheers,

McStyvie

I'd be very interested in seeing "The Returned" graphed. Not a bass monster by any means, but it had this very palpable low end (largely unsupported by upper bass frequencies) to create a certain feeling for the movie. I was just seeing the lights on my amp and feeling this pressure during certain scenes. Good stuff, IMO.

Hey guys first post here. One of my Captivators made a slight flapping sound during one scene in particular the other day and I wanted to know if it was due to being below port tune. It was during Hellboy2 the Golden Army at the 14min.30sec mark of the film right after Abe and the other guy finish talking and the door gets ripped off then flys past both off them. I do have the HPF a bit lower than port tune (15Hz) and after I did hear the flap I adjusted up to around 18Hz. It was pretty much gone after this but just interested to find out. The lower 15Hz setting has never revealed a problem with other scenes that go below port tune such as OHF Monment scene or WWZ Grenade Scene so wondering what's so different about the Hellboy 2 scene?

jonam,

I'll add the Pierce Brosnan ones to the list, though I'm not super hopeful for their bass content because they're so old.  As for the older ones with previous Bonds, there's basically no point in adding because they were made back before there was really any bass content in movies.  Thanks, though!  :)

Mcstyvie,

I added Zambezia to the list.  Thanks!  :)

wth718,

I added The Returned to the list!  :)

Aj72,

I don't have HB2, but I'm betting the offending content was at or just below your HPF and fairly hot.  As for the other movies not exhibiting this behavior, their hot content is probably far enough below your HPF so as to not cause this issue, especially when combined with signal chain rolloff, etc. 

Back when I had a 2011 Ported Captivator, I ran without a HPF (cuz I only fed it ~1800W via bridged EP4000) and only ever heard it make that slight flapping sound at the beginning of the Hulk Sonic Cannons scene (timestamp 0:54:50 - 0:54:57) when there's that big hit centered at 14Hz before the sweep starts moving up.

b478f0e1_tih-sc-sweep.PNG

Try that scene and see if it makes the same noise with your original HPF.

jonam,

I'll add the Pierce Brosnan ones to the list, though I'm not super hopeful for their bass content because they're so old.  As for the older ones with previous Bonds, there's basically no point in adding because they were made back before there was really any bass content in movies.  Thanks, though!  :)

Thank You Nube, I see your point and thanks for adding the Brosnan movies, will be interesting to see how Goldeneye fares.  Die Another Day hopefully should be decent as it does sound great in the mids. As too Tomorrow, but World is Not Enough did sound somewhat quiet.

Thanks Nube. I've played the sonic cannon scene many times and whilst I've never noticed a flapping sound their (the Caps) execution of that scene is not quite perfect. It's only slight but just enough to take you out of the realism of that scene. This and the above mentioned scene are the only times I've noticed anything not sounding quite right after watching many movies and the most demanding scenes. I will try Hulk scene with the high pass set at 18Hz though, something I didn't try before. Definitely a scene better suited to sealed enclosures and not one at the top of my list for demonstration. I have dual Caps and use a Behringer EP 4000 bridged as well for the right hand side. The left side is powered by a Crown XLS5000 bridged. I have two different model Caps (2011&2013). I've swapped the two different Caps around yielding the same result. Left side doesn't make any noise on either scene so I figured it must be the EQ setting on MIC2200 for right channel. Dayton V2 used to measure response of both Caps simultaneously for EQ.

Hey guys first post here. One of my Captivators made a slight flapping sound during one scene in particular the other day and I wanted to know if it was due to being below port tune. It was during Hellboy2 the Golden Army at the 14min.30sec mark of the film right after Abe and the other guy finish talking and the door gets ripped off then flys past both off them. I do have the HPF a bit lower than port tune (15Hz) and after I did hear the flap I adjusted up to around 18Hz. It was pretty much gone after this but just interested to find out. The lower 15Hz setting has never revealed a problem with other scenes that go below port tune such as OHF Monment scene or WWZ Grenade Scene so wondering what's so different about the Hellboy 2 scene?

01430.bmp Here you go, One of the lowest sweeps in any movie. :wacko:

attachicon.gif01430.bmp Here you go, One of the lowest sweeps in any movie. :wacko:

Thanks for the graph, lfe man!  :)  I wouldn't really call it a sweep as it doesn't go up or down in frequency much if at all.  It's just one big effect.

I made it smaller so people wouldn't have to download the 3.75MB file:

df534fe6_Hellboy2-0.14.30-Door.PNG

Great! Thanks for that LFE man I knew it was a pretty powerful scene and makes sense as to why it caused my Caps a little grief below port tune. Never a scene that gets much of a mention around the bass parts? Anyone with sealed subs that dig deep care to comment on how they liked it?

As ya'll can see, the forum has been divided into Bass Gear and Bass Content forums so we don't clutter threads regarding Ricci's awesome work (and the real aim of the site).  It's a change for the better so that important gear topics don't get lost in the movie polling spam.  ;)  Do note that Ricci is, in my mind, the foremost sub tester out there, and he does great work that is to be lauded and examined.  So, don't just come here for the movie measurements; check out what he's doing, too, and ask any questions you have over there!

On this side of things, I've pinned all the topics that still need votes.  They'll remain that way until they're retired, which is usually after two weeks of voting, longer if they are lacking votes or need tiebreakers.  Essentially, they'll stay until enough folks watch them and vote on them.  Enjoy your home theaters with some movies you can trust will be good and have good bass.

With all the new requests, I've been sourcing movies to measure from Netflix and locally from friends, and I have a huge backlog of measurements to post.  So, if you have the time, revisit some of these great bass movies and cast your votes!  :)  Thanks!

Aj72,

That entire movie is full of spots like that, so I don't remember that scene standing out exactly.  Great bass movie, and its predecessor ain't bad either (I'll post measurements as soon as some of these older ones get voted on).

Thanks for the graph, lfe man!  :)  I wouldn't really call it a sweep as it doesn't go up or down in frequency much if at all.  It's just one big effect.

I made it smaller so people wouldn't have to download the 3.75MB file:

df534fe6_Hellboy2-0.14.30-Door.PNG

I think its sweep. :P  This chart show's it better. :)

post-99-0-89150600-1397935623_thumb.png

• Like 1

Nube, thanks for the heads up about the splitting of the forum topics ... Bass Gear, and Bass Content, had no idea and likely wouldn't have noticed.

The bass content is just fantastic. The bass gear is too, but I just wish there were more gear discussions/contributions, because the contributors around these parts is certainly high quality. 

Thanks for the heads up.

Paranormal Activity The Marked Ones (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (107.42dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (14Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (35.6dB!!!)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-16266300-1398806756_thumb.png

Australia (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 2 Stars (106.72dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.81dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-64886300-1398807431_thumb.png

Scenecap:

Stampede (1:02:00-1:04:30ish)

post-17-0-46940300-1399045811_thumb.png

Conan the Barbarian (2011) (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 5 Stars (113.09dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.34dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.5 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-63415400-1398807833_thumb.png