The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Rambo (2008 Theatrical) (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.72dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.78dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-00128300-1398808474_thumb.png

The Legend of Hercules (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.86dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (15.1Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (27.47dB)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-94589800-1398832506_thumb.png

Dude hellboy 2 is a true 5 star!!! Holy cow that's an insane bass movie. It dethrones TIH for me as the king

It's insanely good, isn't it?  I dunno if any one scene beats the fight with Abomination in TIH, but HB2 sure is good overall!

May I suggest Fight Club? There appears to be some high volume deep bass in the 20-30 hz region according to https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenwulandlord/sets/72157627252051467/

Already measured awhile back.  It's in the 4 star list, and here's the link:  http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-23#entry611

Any word on the new Hercules or battleship Yamato?

Hercules is up right above this post.  It's so-so.  I don't know about Battleship Yamato?  Can you link me to that movie on IMDB? :)

Also, if anybody wants specific scenes graphed from a particular movie, give timestamps either here or in that movie's polling thread, and we'll see what we can do.

In the five star ratings I'm just wondering what I'm missing with Star Trek? I have the disc here (blu-ray) but don't remember it being a bass beast? Maybe I didn't listen at loud enough levels? I will watch it again but it seems an anomaly to me given the movies that didn't make the top bracket eg Dredd, The Incredible Hulk. I know this rating is backed up by measured criteria and respect that but the listening experience didn't seem to me to be worthy?

In Australia, can you graph 1:02 - 1:04:30? It's the cattle stampede, and where I heard most of the bass when watching at -30.

I added that graph to its measurement post.  :)  Thanks for the timestamp!

In the five star ratings I'm just wondering what I'm missing with Star Trek? I have the disc here (blu-ray) but don't remember it being a bass beast? Maybe I didn't listen at loud enough levels? I will watch it again but it seems an anomaly to me given the movies that didn't make the top bracket eg Dredd, The Incredible Hulk. I know this rating is backed up by measured criteria and respect that but the listening experience didn't seem to me to be worthy?

I responded to your question over at AVS, but suffice it to say that Star Trek (2009) measures incredibly well and subjectively sounds incredible as well.  Check the numbers and the graph in this thread

As I said at AVS, there's not much objective difference between movies in the top two rankings.  Dredd is overall not as loud, or as dynamic as Star Trek.  Neither is The Incredible Hulk. 

But, it's not just the numbers in those measurements.  It's important to note where in the frequency response a movie's bass is contained.  It's often the case that content in the 25-40Hz range will sound much more impressive than content below that, since these frequencies tend to shake you and your room, and this is part of why people with ported subs often prefer those movies.  Movies with less in that range, but more below it, will have a different-shaped graph and a different sound. 

The three movies you mentioned are more similar than not, but Star Trek has much greater difference between the quiet parts and the loud parts, resulting in a hugely different dynamic score.

Thanks Nube. Agreed there is a degree of difference due to the fact I run a ported system. Given that the measurements are quantifiable on all but the execution score, I guess the numbers don't lie. Star Trek just surprises me that's all. A Good bass movie but doesn't execute as well on my system.

No problemo.  If you can, I suggest demoing a sealed sub system with a known excellent (flat) response down into the single digits.  The difference, at least to me, is most definitely night and day on content that delivers in those frequencies.  It's not even room flexing or anything like that, as I'm on a concrete slab.  It's the difference in sound that is readily apparent.  I can hear the same thing when Ospreys from the local AFB take off from the strip about 5mi away.  Deep, deep stuff.

• Like 1

I must confess to enjoying the Star Trek film a lot more after watching it yesterday. A few big scenes in there near the end. Warp punch sounded awesome. It was a while ago when I first saw this and I've got a feeling it was around the time I discovered my EQ wasn't quite right. Could explain things a bit as it was definitely a lot better the second time around. I had a similar kind of "meh" moment when I first watched Olympus Has Fallen. After all the song and dance on the AVS bass thread about the Washington Monument scene (which I didn't really understand) I decided to drag out the Omnimic and redo the EQ. I found I'd made an error in the EQ setup and was rolling off around 25Hz and missing a lot of the action I thought I was getting. I am only a passive sub newbie so I managed to setup properly second time around with rolloff around 17Hz. Then I could see what all the fuss was about. I'll have to put this one in a similar category. Star Trek does have some great moments indeed.

All Is Lost (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (111.9dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (30.24dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Notes:  What is it about small sea vessel movies that makes for so much use of the LFE?  I dunno, but I'm not complaining.  This is a tremendous movie that has a bunch of very deep content.  It has a scene that nearly rivals the Olympus Has Fallen - Washington Monument scene.  (See below.)  While I probably won't watch the movie ever again, and it was pretty annoying at times, it's overall quite solid and firmly entertaining, especially with this type of sound mix.

PvA:

attachicon.gifAllIsLost-PvA-HighRes.PNG

SpecLab scenecaps:

attachicon.gifAIL-0.34.06-0.34.19.PNG

attachicon.gifAIL-0.37.42-0.38.04.PNG

attachicon.gifAIL-0.38.20-0.38.41.PNG

attachicon.gifAIL-0.40.29-0.40.32.PNG

attachicon.gifAIL-1.24.27-1.25.22.PNG

I cannot believe I missed this. I bought this movie the day it came out and never watched it. Every time I went to watch it, we switched to something else and it kinda shuffled down under. I believe All is lost is on tap tonight. 

Has Seabiscuit ever been graphed? I just ordered it, was a very good movie. 

The various polls almost all need more votes.  Watch some movies and vote so I can put up more polls. ;-)

I have another 35ish movies measured to post & poll or update old method numbers, but we need forum space cleared out by polls being decisively voted on.  I joined the $20/mo Netflix (disc) to get to all the requests caught up.

The Art of the Steal (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (103.74dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (12Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (32.14dB)

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-69405600-1400008720_thumb.png

Bad Country (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 1 Star (103.85dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (23Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (31.61dB)

Execution - 2 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 2.5 Stars

PvA:

post-17-0-15203200-1400008907_thumb.png