The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Which Panasonic are you using, Shred?

I think I was with you till 'velocity potential' :blink: lol

Is that in specific reference to nearfield subs??

Regardless, 125dB of bass is pretty bonkers - I've had an indicated 126dB measured (close-mic'd) on a Radioshack SPL Meter thingy, giving an indicated 119dB at the seats, and I reckon it really is not something that anyone could realistically get away with unless in a detached house with good insulation properties or neighbours a long way away!!  I managed about 10 minutes of the opening of Art of Flight before I was scared the neighbours in the next block of apartments were going to call the cops :ph34r::lol:

I get away with 125dB of bass on a nightly basis :D Bosso and Paul will attest, it is perfectly quiet outside my house at those levels so long as all the doors are shut. 

• Like 1

I get away with 125dB of bass on a nightly basis :D Bosso and Paul will attest, it is perfectly quiet outside my house at those levels so long as all the doors are shut. 

I hate you.

LOL :D

I wish I could afford a detached place but I'm looking at something like £300k for even a small detached house on a cramped housing estate in a less than perfect area :(

I was just wondering - has anyone bought the Interstellar soundtrack CD? 

I picked it up the other day and am impressed with the dynamic range on it - I can play it at something like -10 as the quiet bits are so quiet, yet the loud bits are LOUD!

My trusty radioshack SPL meter seems to vary between around high-50s dB in the quiet bits (my noisefloor with the noisiest amp in the world in the room lol) to around 91dB, seemingly (when played at -15MV and all settings as audyssey set them).

I'd love to see some hard data on it!  (I wish I had more time so I could learn speclab, but I'm struggling enough with REW... lol)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1333462-new-master-list-bass-movies-frequency-charts-635.html#post29421545

• Like 1

What avr/processor does 9.1.6?

Nothing currently. At least, nothing short of a $30k Trinnov Altitude anyway.

The current max is 7.1.4 or 9.1.2 speakers. There is a possibility that there will be support for 9.1.4 this year but I'd rather it be 7.1.6 first or at least a choice if they're gonna add support for two more speaker outputs.

My vote would be 9.1.x....our ears have more resolution in the horizontal plane than in the vertical, and those two wide L/R channels will add more than having multiple depths of ceiling channels, but I would definitely like to listen to both to find out.

JSS

I have 11.1 right now.  Really it's more like 11.12 lol, but I like the heights more than the wides.  I think that I would want the 7.1.6 over the 9.1.4 but you never know until you hear both like maxmercy said.  This is one of the reasons why I have not bought an Atmos avr yet.  I think that there is a lot more to offer in the near coming months other than hdmi 2.0 and what not.

• Like 1

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.91dB composite)
Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.9dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Comparing to the second one (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug), this looks like it gained considerable extension at the expense of a little level and dynamics.  I haven't watched it yet (not a fan of these Hobbit movies at all), but when looking at the Speclab PvA, it sure looks to have some content from 10-20Hz, just severely rolled off.

PvA:

post-17-0-95254200-1427256080.png

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level - 3 Stars (107.91dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (17Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.9dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

Notes: Comparing to the second one (The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug), this looks like it gained considerable extension at the expense of a little level and dynamics. I haven't watched it yet (not a fan of these Hobbit movies at all), but when looking at the Speclab PvA, it sure looks to have some content from 10-20Hz, just severely rolled off.

PvA:

post-17-0-95254200-1427256080.png

I'll take it!!

I watched about an hour of it this evening and thought right away it extended deeper than the first 2.

Exodus: Gods and Kings (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.24dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.36dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     -  4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

Notes:  Mixed by the same guy who did Star Trek (2009), the sound design is very well articulated, but subtle.  There's nothing even approaching clipping in the whole movie, nor is it soft/hard limited.  It's a nice, fairly clean mix (unlike the upcoming 30Hz blockbuster that everyone's raving about because it's so loud). 

The graphs don't lie - this one's got the goods down low, too.  What's weird is there is a TON of medium level content below 10Hz that is skillfully used to build the mood.  It really imparts power.  The same sound designer who worked on Captain Phillips must have brought a lot of that library over, because it's excellent.  The movie is ho-hum but the sound is good.

PvA:

post-17-0-77882900-1427338978.png

"It's a nice, fairly clean mix (unlike the upcoming 30Hz blockbuster that everyone's raving about because it's so loud). "

Interstellar?

Fairly certain that's what he means. Has a ton of bass, but also lots of clipping, both in the bass and in the voices. Some of it pretty bad.