Bossobass Mini GTG Thread

Bossobass Dave

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate the comments. My other son, Tim, will be snapping more pics of the subs and new amps and anything else he feels like photographing. He's the resident expert on cameras around here (that goodness because i suck at it).

Meanwhile, I popped in Jupiter Ascending with the Dual Raptor System IIIs still set up from the GTG and running however hot we ran them, which you'll see in the SL caps below.

BLIMEY, this flick has low end. :o I only gor through 3 chapters and had 8 caps accumulated:

For LTD02, the first cap is a guy kicking in a door and then shooting someone. Transients are tracked nicely with lots of frequency content resolution.

To all: I'm going to use the higher color density color scale from now on and have included a color scale blow up with each cap for easy reference. The Dual Raptor System III setup running monstrously hot would easily clip the Edirol interface and exceed the +5dBFS maximum color scale setting so bot are tamed by adjusting the pertinent parameters on both:

56luXc5.png

tu1tZWX.png

VqysfuR.png

etfny1Y.png

Check it out...

This effect had such a huge tactile effect I felt it in my hair. Never happened to me before... ever.

Pegged the color scale, even with the mic levels cheated down to avoid that. The new color scale is pegged at >+5dBFS in cream. Can't miss it on the cap. I'm tearing the dual System III down tonight before I become infected.

:o:P

Bjeasw4.png

See, we are not that crazy after all, I will never forget when my hair moved for the first time as a guest literally jumped and said what the fuck was that! Long time ago during JP 3 when the plane turns on the runway to take off from the spinosaurus. When you setup using test tones it must not account for the LFE signal being 10 dB hotter because it has always been around 10-12 dB hot calibrating levels that way.

See, we are not that crazy after all, I will never forget when my hair moved for the first time as a guest literally jumped and said what the fuck was that! Long time ago during JP 3 when the plane turns on the runway to take off from the spinosaurus. When you setup using test tones it must not account for the LFE signal being 10 dB hotter because it has always been around 10-12 dB hot calibrating levels that way.

Well welll welll........somebody likes the SPL hot just like the rest of us...   :) :) :)

Just the guys I wanted to chime in here (Adam as well). :P

I never said that a person can't get used to distortion. ;) Besides, I'm running 12-15dB hot for the moment, not 50dB hot like some people: :o:lol:

Seriously, I can't say exactly what's happening in this cap because there are so many scenes with bass in this movie, but it's in chapter 9. So, if you guys get a chance, play this and crank it and LMK what's up. You'll know it when it hits is all I can say.

Luke, this effect should be right in your sweet spot.

In any case, this is a buy for anyone who likes low end. There's heavy low end throughout the flick... almost non-stop.

I never said that a person can't get used to distortion. ;) Besides, I'm running 12-15dB hot for the moment, not 50dB hot like some people: :o:lol:

Seriously, I can't say exactly what's happening in this cap because there are so many scenes with bass in this movie, but it's in chapter 9. So, if you guys get a chance, play this and crank it and LMK what's up. You'll know it when it hits is all I can say.

In any case, this is a buy for anyone who likes low end. There's heavy low end throughout the flick... almost non-stop.

I'm definitely buying it.  I'm sure it'll make for some great demo clips for my GTG in August.  

I appreciate the comments. My other sin, Tim,

Damn Dave I thought Tim was pretty cool. That's f'd up man. :lol:

Check it out...

This effect had such a huge tactile effect I felt it in my hair. Never happened to me before... ever.

Pegged the color scale, even with the mic levels cheated down to avoid that. The new color scale is pegged at >+5dBFS in cream. Can't miss it on the cap. I'm tearing the dual System III down tonight before I become infected.

Bjeasw4.png

Good lawd that looks insane! I def gotta check this out. Love that color scale too.

See, we are not that crazy after all

Idk bout that haha.

Well welll welll........somebody likes the SPL hot just like the rest of us...  

Yah after Dave was talking shit that he needed two Raptor systems to appease your bass appetite you see they're still in his room.....hyprocritical mother fucker. :lol:

Hahaha f you Dave. You know damn well we have no choice. :ph34r:

So this is a buy for bass eh? Did you like the movie though and any chance you watched it in 3D??

Yes, I liked the movie. No 3D.

The worst part of running that hot is that the center channel sounds like crap with that much low end in it. And, you guys run the CC at -10dB from reference while bumping the sub trim by +15dB or more. I'd never be able to get used to that mud in the vocals. I'd have to run the CC large, but then I'd lose a lot of ULF because the industry loves to put low end in the CC.

Running the subs at +6dB hot is max for me, but my MVL is at or near ref level at the same time, unlike you treble-pussies. :P

Yes, I liked the movie. No 3D.

The worst part of running that hot is that the center channel sounds like crap with that much low end in it. And, you guys run the CC at -10dB from reference while bumping the sub trim by +15dB or more. I'd never be able to get used to that mud in the vocals. I'd have to run the CC large, but then I'd lose a lot of ULF because the industry loves to put low end in the CC.

Running the subs at +6dB hot is max for me, but my MVL is at or near ref level at the same time, unlike you treble-pussies. :P

Heh. You're adorable, Dave. Those cute little speakers of yours will make them wish they were born a woman if they ever met some of ours.

If you want to do 'full range' mains (like your CC) then do it like I did with quad 18's per per channel. That's how a man does full range mains. :D

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2306745/9/93/93a76930_20131214_1916521.jpeg

Heh. You're adorable, Dave. Those cute little speakers of yours will make them wish they were born a woman if they ever met some of ours.

If you want to do 'full range' mains (like your CC) then do it like I did with quad 18's per per channel. That's how a man does full range mains. :D

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2306745/9/93/93a76930_20131214_1916521.jpeg

Ain't you the guy who's never posted a measurement, speclab graph, distortion plot, calibration methodology, etc., etc., of his alleged mega mains. :rolleyes:

I mean, we all believe ya and everything because, ya know, you say so and all... :D

I'm just tellin' ya what Luke said at the GTG. I've been around and I read a lot... it's a common theme. You guys buy those penis rulers and then when no one's lookin', you turn them Waaaaaaaayyyyyy down. You know, like treble-pussies. :lol:

EDIT: BTW, you really expect me to buy that those PA speakers can handle soundtrack low end? >Jeepers<

Ain't you the guy who's never posted a measurement, speclab graph, distortion plot, calibration methodology, etc., etc., of his alleged mega mains. :rolleyes:

I mean, we all believe ya and everything because, ya know, you say so and all... :D

I'm just tellin' ya what Luke said at the GTG. I've been around and I read a lot... it's a common theme. You guys buy those penis rulers and then when no one's lookin', you turn them Waaaaaaaayyyyyy down. You know, like treble-pussies. :lol:

EDIT: BTW, you really expect me to buy that those PA speakers can handle soundtrack low end? >Jeepers<

I have but you missed them all because AVS suxorz.

You can take my word for it, yes. I've earned that.

Uh huh. Yeah. Says the guy with 32 15's but anything above 115db is distortion. Sure. You loved it. Luke isn't any different from the rest of us with penis envy. You're starting to show your envy as well.

Four HT18's can't do single digits? Let alone twelve. Your puny little 6.5's sure can though, I'm sure. You do know those JBL 15's are just for midbass, don't you? That being, they still reach to the single digits too. Just not as loudly as the 18's.

Just admit it, you wish you could do it like we do. :P Time to step it up, old man. Happy Father's Day! :D

Hehe, I have quad ported 18's for mid-bass and I cross them with the subs at 100hz...

I'd love to compare distortion numbers.  I'm betting at 10db over reference I'm below 3% distortion across the board, and you already proved my harmonics are only ~2.5%  :)

Remember Dave, I'm just a yougin' still in my 20s.  My precious little ears are more sensitive to HF  ;)

Hehe, I have quad ported 18's for mid-bass and I cross them with the subs at 100hz...

I'd love to compare distortion numbers.  I'm betting at 10db over reference I'm below 3% distortion across the board, and you already proved my harmonics are only ~2.5%  :)

Remember Dave, I'm just a yougin' still in my 20s.  My precious little ears are more sensitive to HF  ;)

Yeah, I get it, but here's the reality:

You went to extra pains, using 15 or more filters to get this response at the seats, yeah?:

Q2LSRey.png

Brandon plays the subs run +15dB hot, but he rolls off the high end as well. ;) My highs are rolled off similarly, FYI. So, at the GTG, we were listening similar to what Brandon listens to regularly. :)

Qy7Q8cz.png

Here's what you're listening to, only with the subs run even hotter:

xox8USA.png

First, either of those FRs is distortion, which is defined as any deviation from the original. B) I think you just assumed I meant harmonic distortion, which pales as distortion in comparison to a +15dB peak from 20-80 Hz. :lol:

Second, you're sensitive young hearing will hurt 5-10dB more than mine or Brandon's with those PA compression drivers running flat, even at -10dBRL.

So Scott, when ya gonna post a sweep of just the CC to 3 Hz? ;)

Yeah, I get it, but here's the reality:

You went to extra pains, using 15 or more filters to get this response at the seats, yeah?:

Q2LSRey.png

Brandon plays the subs run +15dB hot, but he rolls off the high end as well. ;) My highs are rolled off similarly, FYI. So, at the GTG, we were listening similar to what Brandon listens to regularly. :)

Qy7Q8cz.png

Here's what you're listening to, only with the subs run even hotter:

xox8USA.png

First, either of those FRs is distortion, which is defined as any deviation from the original. B) I think you just assumed I meant harmonic distortion, which pales as distortion in comparison to a +15dB peak from 20-80 Hz. :lol:

Second, you're sensitive young hearing will hurt 5-10dB more than mine or Brandon's with those PA compression drivers running flat, even at -10dBRL.

So Scott, when ya gonna post a sweep of just the CC to 3 Hz? ;)

You had to be playing well over reference though, right?  I calibrate reference to my front row but I always sit in the back.  

At reference yeah it's loud in my room, but not painful, even EQ'd flat like I have it now it's not fatiguing.  Your center was killing me.  

Perhaps an additional factor is that I run a phantom center, so I'm not used to that much sound coming from a single source.  

You had to be playing well over reference though, right?  I calibrate reference to my front row but I always sit in the back.  

At reference yeah it's loud in my room, but not painful, even EQ'd flat like I have it now it's not fatiguing.  Your center was killing me.  

Perhaps an additional factor is that I run a phantom center, so I'm not used to that much sound coming from a single source.  

Makes sense.

And, yes, I was indeed running above RL for one scene and I remember the CC being harsh, although I attribute that to the lack of SQ on the soundtrack in that particular case. It was OZ, I believe. Remember, I'm handicapped by the OPPO in that I can't bump the SW trim above '0' or I get massive distortion. Instead of running to the SW amps and bumping both amp's gains, I just bumped the MVL.

The CC has a different tweeter than the mains, but I assure you it isn't harsh. Other discs, like LOTR FOTR, which has superb CC, can be run at that level with no harshness. It's garbage in/garbage out at those levels, no doubt.

The OW III tweeters (in my mains) are straining at >RL with many soundtracks, I admit, but I don't see how a compression driver will somehow pull off a miracle in the same circumstance, especially running them flat. That has not been my experience. Maybe you guys have some unobtainium compression drivers, IDK. But, I just believe most attribute much better SQ to those horns than due. Just my opinion.

Archived