Edge of Tomorrow Discussion & Poll - Closed

nube

Edge of Tomorrow  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

2. 2. Recommendation?

I am a bit surprised that it being rated this high to be honest. I loved the movie but I found the bass to be slightly on the boring side and there were a lot of dialogue distortion/microphone noise through out most of the movie.

Pay attention to the background noise as the woman speaks. It is especially clear in the end of the clip when she says "Yes". The noise starts half a second before she says yes and ends after https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsnuif4gtf...0CLIP.mp4?dl=0

Couldn't agree more. I'm admittedly stingy about 5s, but I don't think this was as good as Oblivion, and Oblivion wasn't as good as the TRUE heavy hitters. But that's just my opinion, of course.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more. I'm admittedly stingy about 5s, but I don't think this was as good as Oblivion, and Oblivion wasn't as good as the TRUE heavy hitters. But that's just my opinion, of course.

+1.  Comparison to known incredible scenes/films makes a huge difference.  We sometimes get 'bass starved' around here, and can over-rate (and under-rate) films.  I have seen it happen to films that otherwise would get rated higher if it were not that a very bass-heavy film was released a week or month before.....

JSS

I liked the movie a lot so its a buy. Unfortunately i had to give it a 3 in execution but mostly because of the dialogue noise. 

I have heard this in other movies aswell but what causes it? Nobody has a comment on that?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsnuif4gtf5hj1w/AUDIO%20CLIP.mp4?dl=0

Same thing from Noah

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9foef5qvd44615q/AUDIO%20CLIP2.mp4?dl=0

EoT has 5 for level, extension, and dynamics but not as much loud 30-40hz stuff as others with no extension. I play every movie at the same level so a well recorded extending movie always sounds better. Remember when I watch X-men DOFP the levels will be as loud as any other movie, what I mean by same level, not same MV. I change the LFE level accordingly, one of the reasons I love HT more than the cinema. I am in control.

Noticeable dialogue noise is more common than not.

If you play at ref 0dB, on a system with plenty headroom and good resolution, with good room acoustics, this is easy to hear on most movies, some more than other. 

Tilting down the high freqs helps, many avrs have the "Theater EQ" which does this quite nice, unfortunately you of course loose high end detail as well..

When dialogue is recorded there will be some background noise, and additional noise from mic and amps.

If the audio is done well, this noise will not necessarily be a problem, even if it is possible to hear it.

The problem occurs when the dialogue is pushed too loud in level, and if additional dynamic compression is used, it will get much worse.

So, this is definitely not a fault on your system or your hearing, it is a fault in the movie soundtrack caused by a combination of physical limits of audio recording and incompetence (re. LOUD and compressed).

Off topic but how about the Mad Max Fury Road preview on the BD? I really liked the way they edited the clips with the cool music - there is even some bass. I think Tom Hardy is a pretty good actor as well. Might be a good one for 2015.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching this and enjoyed it overall. Audio in general was excellent I thought.

As far as the bass, take out that opening scene which was so loud it felt out of place, I thought the rest of the bass was done very well, but not 5 star league. A few missed spots here and there where bass did not hit quite like I expected, but in general it was very good just not 5 star ref worthy. I watched that opening scene 4dbs lower than my normal -1 from ref watching level and even at -5, that scene was still noticeably louder than anything in the rest of the film turned back up to my normal -1. As much as I enjoyed those opening bass moments, it felt out of place to me and I would not be surprised if this was a mistake since it was so loud and powerful vs the rest of the bass it seemed out of place. Who knows. Sure it would be fun to throw on as a demo to scare the crap out of someone (it scared me and I knew it was coming!), but to me it felt out of context in relation to the rest of the bass.

4/5 execution is what I voted.

Definitely agree with this. I would love to know how this film would have been rated if that out of place (IMO) opening scene was not included.

Looks like this is headed to an overall 5 star rating, which is unbelievable to me. This gets a true 5 stars when OHF, TIH, B:LA, don't? Really? I think we're being way too generous with the 5 star execution when viewed against the real big guns.

Just my 2 pence.

I completely agree with this!

The rating lacks "amount of bass"

The amount of bass "Should" be a consideration for a movie to be given a 5 star rating.

That's just me...

but execution doesnt necessarily mean amount of bass...its about how well its used...or executed..imho it doesnt have to be 5 stars in the other catregories in order to get a 5 star execution

but thats just me

I understand what you're saying. I just think we're a bit too generous with the ratings, in general. If the 5 star club is so exclusive that it leaves out WOTW, TIH, B:LA, etc, then ones that make it there should pass the "smell test," you know?

Can ANYONE honestly state that EOT rates higher than those or OHF? Hell, even Oblivion was better, to me! I think that sine wave-y moment at the beginning really skewed people's perceptions of this film. Take that out, and what real memorable scenes are there?

I've felt (and said) the same thing about some other movies, too. Difference is that they were kept from underserved 5 star ratings by falling short on some other score. This one is gonna slip through the cracks, apparently.

yes but those movies you speak of missed 5 stars due to the OTHER categories...not the execution...so by this meathod of measurement and categorizing ..NO they are not up to this movie.

hellp even a 5star FotP only has 2 major bass scenes...the rest is zero action

I stipulated to that in my post, so no disagreement on that. I still contend that we are way too generous in our execution scores. If the bass is good, it's getting a 4, almost without fail. If it's really good, it gets a 5. Nothing separates the truly great ones.

With that said how does a movie that actually measures 5 stars in all categories not 5 stars?  Oh, I thought it should have more 30hz stuff more than 10hz stuff?  EOT has scenes with louder ULF than the LF but we are conditioned to be wowed by the LF films are always said to be better by popular vote. 

My vote for 5 stars needs some criteria. 

1. loud

2. full bandwidth

3. demo worthy scene

This is why movies like TF4 will never get a 5 star vote from me although enjoyable.  EOT meets my criteria so it gets 5 stars.  I love all bass and for a movie to be 5 star needs all of it. 

I understand what you're saying. I just think we're a bit too generous with the ratings, in general. If the 5 star club is so exclusive that it leaves out WOTW, TIH, B:LA, etc, then ones that make it there should pass the "smell test," you know?

Can ANYONE honestly state that EOT rates higher than those or OHF? Hell, even Oblivion was better, to me! I think that sine wave-y moment at the beginning really skewed people's perceptions of this film. Take that out, and what real memorable scenes are there?

I've felt (and said) the same thing about some other movies, too. Difference is that they were kept from underserved 5 star ratings by falling short on some other score. This one is gonna slip through the cracks, apparently.

Totally agreed. As I mentioned, would love to see how this one would have rated if not for that ridiculous and out of place (IMO) opening scene.

Archived