Ricci's Skram Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

On 12/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, Tahoejmfc said:

I currently have in mind building my own cabinets using two 21SW152's I currently own. I have been working on ported box designs for quite some time, but keep drooling over Ricci's awesome work on various forums going back to I think 2010. I plan on building tops with help from a Electrical engineer friend who works at Meyers Sound.

I have a stack of Baltic Birch sitting here in my garage waiting for the right design to build around my 21SW152's and I think I have decided to throw my ported designs in the waste basket and go with the SKRAM design of Ricci's that everyone here is building.

I plan on placing 2 of these boxes under the head of the PlayaPachederm.

My Question is... Is anyone willing to share/sell an Autodesk file or VCARVE file?

Sorry I can't help there, but ...   I love the playa pyro pachyderm!

I did a couple burns, last time in '06.  That year it felt like it was just a huge event, especially on Friday and Saturday nights when there were so many people everywhere who were so frelled up that I could have convinced myself I was in a raver zombie apocalypse.  Also, I've been to places like Washington DC National Mall, NYC, and (gasp) Boston, and no other place has a greater proportion and variety of law enforcement agents than Burning Man.  The event is a kind of a psychedelic fun house in the middle of an alien, post-apocalyptic police state planet.  I understand the event is now roughly *twice as big* as it was then.  It's amazing to me that it still functions, which is kind of a marvel of its own.

Have fun with that car!  Is there going to be a bar on top?

On 12/31/2019 at 9:06 PM, peniku8 said:

btw, @Ricci, I'm sorry for now completely derailing your Skram thread! Maybe we should start a dedicated CNC thread somewhere?

And btw, Happy New Year, y'all!

Ha! Doesn't bother me in the least but it has been quite the discussion. 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:40 PM, Tahoejmfc said:

Hi Everyone, I have been following Data-Bass and the other forums for many years while building an art car. This year was its first year to the Playa after 4 years of work, a divorce, a child being born, etc etc. I teach illustrator, CNC Plasma, CNC Router, Laser and NFPA 160 Flame effects at a local makers space here in Truckee CA. I own a Boss Laser HP3655 Stainless Steel cutting 150Watt CO2 laser that I am using to make the art car with and helping other artists with their projects as well.

This project is a labor of love and not for profit.

http://www.instagram.com/jackalotus  https://www.instagram.com/p/B2qSE1zhUI5/  https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ISZPCBKgp/

I currently have in mind building my own cabinets using two 21SW152's I currently own. I have been working on ported box designs for quite some time, but keep drooling over Ricci's awesome work on various forums going back to I think 2010. I plan on building tops with help from a Electrical engineer friend who works at Meyers Sound.

I have a stack of Baltic Birch sitting here in my garage waiting for the right design to build around my 21SW152's and I think I have decided to throw my ported designs in the waste basket and go with the SKRAM design of Ricci's that everyone here is building.

I plan on placing 2 of these boxes under the head of the PlayaPachederm.

My Question is... Is anyone willing to share/sell an Autodesk file or VCARVE file?

Also wondering how i can donate to all the hard work Ricci put in for us? Need anything laser cut out of stainless let me know

IMG_9800.JPG

Welcome to the forum. Impressive work! Thanks for the kind words. I'll check out your links when I get time. Looks like a cool project. 

I don't have any V-carve files. I don't own a CNC myself. All I can help you with is Solidworks files or other 3d cad file formats if that helps. Maybe one of the other guys will be able to provide some. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klipsch said:

Negative sir. It is an SH50. That is one of "the triplets" as my wife likes to call them. 😉 

Ran the last sheet for the 2nd skram. A shot about halfway through...20200105_160624.thumb.jpg.9d30a9255e45223ed3e847619ec4400f.jpg

You will have to give us your impressions of how the skram works with the Sh50.  I have used mine with both sh46 and sm60f's and I think they are a really great match with both.

Will do. There are 6 18" drivers behind the screen right now (3 DO sealed boxes), along with the center SH50. I'm assuming the ports on the skrams are going to push out some air and potentially move the screen. Planning to finish skram 2 over the next couple weeks and then move the skrams in so the ports are below the screen and put 1 of the DO on top of each skram. I'll leave the 3rd DO as a speaker stand for the SH50. 

I think this is a good idea. The scram and the DO boxes are both exactly 32 inches deep, so hopefully that works out well. 

Using PA speakers for HT seems to be pretty popular. I should maybe try my PA tops for the HT as well... But if I like it, the price for the upgrade would be outrageous lol.

Where are you planning to cross the skrams to the sealed subs? You could also use some shaping to have the sealed subs play along with the Skrams in the mid-bass region, to even out room modes. Tune the Skrams to 25Hz, HPF them at 40Hz and you will have the phase swap out of the way. Or measure them outside and feed the impulse response to a convolution plugin. If you have good drivers in your sealed subs, 6 of them should be able to keep up with the Skrams in an HT. Unless plan on watching movies at 140db inside. Which I'm almost doing (115db peaks in the bass; add bass management => ~125db peaks; plus a rising house curve that ends up at +15db at 20Hz, but I usually watch between -10MV and -5MV).

It's just sad that my favourite movies/genre are the Marvel movies. Even with BEQ the bass is lacklustre.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, klipsch said:

skramsheet3.dxf 103.27 kB · 8 downloads skramsheet2.dxf 160.2 kB · 5 downloads skramsheet1.dxf 62.14 kB · 5 downloads

Looks like it could be made on 3 sheets if all were 23/32 or 18mm thick sheets.  The slots would need to be adjusted though from the ~.495 to the ~.724 on a few of the parts now.  Thanks for the dxfs @dsl1 

If you make an actual cutsheet dxf, please share :) 

Hi Everyone, I have taken @dsl1 files from page 15, edited them to test the fitment of everything on my laser scaled for 5mm and 3mm thick birch ply. I have made a few minor adjustments so far and created a good assembly test setup 6.5" wide, 10" tall and 9" deep. I have ordered the handles, T-nuts and Duratex from Parts-Express.

I have to say I really like the updated design that eliminates all of the multiple bracing pieces in the original design files and combines them into larger single pieces for faster assembly. I plan on changing some of the joints on my files so that the edges interlock when I do go to V-Carve and CNC cut the full size design.

I also plan on adding a piece that covers all of the front ports for storage so no critters get in and make a mess.

Once my scaled files are done for the 3mm and 5mm birch I will share the illustrator and dxf files so anyone can make a mini box if they would like to as well. I like physically handling the box at this scale, it helps me visualize the assembly and work through any kinks.

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

• Like 3

Very cool.  I usually do full size tests, hadn't thought enough about doing smaller scale.  

Can you share more about your machine especially laser power?  And is the laser able to do those dados by simply reducing the power?  How consistent is the dado depth via that method?  Really cool! 

1 hour ago, dgage said:

Very cool.  I usually do full size tests, hadn't thought enough about doing smaller scale.  

Can you share more about your machine especially laser power?  And is the laser able to do those dados by simply reducing the power?  How consistent is the dado depth via that method?  Really cool! 

It is a Boss Laser 3655, 150 watt CO2 laser. Regarding controlling depth on dados, no, i am not able to control the depth very well, wood density changes and the laser does not sense the variation in density of the material. If I was using a material like Plexi I can control the depth very well. This is just for mock up and its not perfect, but at least it gets a working model in my hands

• Like 1

That's gotta be the cutest thing I've seen all day! The smell in the shop must be horrible thou 😅

Making small scale models would require using a tiny router bit. That laser surely is a handy thing.

If you now put a 6" (???) driver inside and made a working cab you would make my day!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, peniku8 said:

Using PA speakers for HT seems to be pretty popular. I should maybe try my PA tops for the HT as well... But if I like it, the price for the upgrade would be outrageous lol.

Where are you planning to cross the skrams to the sealed subs? You could also use some shaping to have the sealed subs play along with the Skrams in the mid-bass region, to even out room modes. Tune the Skrams to 25Hz, HPF them at 40Hz and you will have the phase swap out of the way. Or measure them outside and feed the impulse response to a convolution plugin. If you have good drivers in your sealed subs, 6 of them should be able to keep up with the Skrams in an HT. Unless plan on watching movies at 140db inside. Which I'm almost doing (115db peaks in the bass; add bass management => ~125db peaks; plus a rising house curve that ends up at +15db at 20Hz, but I usually watch between -10MV and -5MV).

It's just sad that my favourite movies/genre are the Marvel movies. Even with BEQ the bass is lacklustre.

Give those PA a try :)

I was thinking with 2 ports blocked on the skrams that there should be good response in to the 20s. Maybe try running the 3 dual sealed from 5 to 30ish and skrams from 30ish to 100ish. There is a dual front firing pair of 18s too behind the first row of seats (they're good for tactile).  I'll need to play around and see how things work out. The 18s are the original stereo integrity ht18s so nothing bad, nothing great. 

I'll watch movies around reference, usually 5db below. I enjoy music as well and hoping these skrams bring some more fun to that arena. 

4 hours ago, Tahoejmfc said:

It is a Boss Laser 3655, 150 watt CO2 laser. Regarding controlling depth on dados, no, i am not able to control the depth very well, wood density changes and the laser does not sense the variation in density of the material. If I was using a material like Plexi I can control the depth very well. This is just for mock up and its not perfect, but at least it gets a working model in my hands

Try making a skram for an 8ich anarchy woofer. I have 2 of those in 2 tapped horns. They are paired with lsr 308s in my office. Great stuff. Someone model that please :)

34 minutes ago, klipsch said:

Give those PA a try :)

I was thinking with 2 ports blocked on the skrams that there should be good response in to the 20s. Maybe try running the 3 dual sealed from 5 to 30ish and skrams from 30ish to 100ish. There is a dual front firing pair of 18s too behind the first row of seats (they're good for tactile).  I'll need to play around and see how things work out. The 18s are the original stereo integrity ht18s so nothing bad, nothing great. 

I'll watch movies around reference, usually 5db below. I enjoy music as well and hoping these skrams bring some more fun to that arena. 

My PA mains are 85lbs each, I don't particularly like hauling them around. Plus I'd need the dsp amp with me for the EQ profiles. Not fun. These are line-array elements with a 12" lf driver and a compression driver (both B&C) with a 90x30° coverage. They sound horrid without the system EQ.

Either way I will be building high quality mains soon. A tri-amped design with ribbon tweets. Highest fidelity 😉

7 minutes ago, peniku8 said:

My PA mains are 85lbs each, I don't particularly like hauling them around. Plus I'd need the dsp amp with me for the EQ profiles. Not fun. These are line-array elements with a 12" lf driver and a compression driver (both B&C) with a 90x30° coverage. They sound horrid without the system EQ.

Either way I will be building high quality mains soon. A tri-amped design with ribbon tweets. Highest fidelity 😉

Nice. Looking forward to seeing you and your build thread for those :)

Maybe use the cnc to build some Danley Jericho-esque mains for your PA 😁

4 hours ago, dgage said:

Thanks.  Very cool.  How thick of plywood can you cut through with the 150w laser?  And how fast is it in terms of inches per minute (or mm :))?

It’s rated for 3/4” but you would need to run nitrogen to keep the wood from burning too much. I cut 1/2” at like 10mm/sec. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peniku8 said:

That's gotta be the cutest thing I've seen all day! The smell in the shop must be horrible thou 😅

Making small scale models would require using a tiny router bit. That laser surely is a handy thing.

If you now put a 6" (???) driver inside and made a working cab you would make my day!

Not sure why my shop would smell? I’ve got a great exhaust system on the laser. 

I'm actually thinking of putting a small driver in it, but the calcs would have to be all done again. Otherwise it would be less than perfect. Maybe throw a B&C driver in it just for fun. I’d need to cut a freshie with proper Baltic birch as well, gotta be done right....Duratex it as well. 
I have this old outlaw audio amp sitting here and it might work really well for a miniature office setup. That would be pretty sick to have a scale model of a SKRAM with some mini Meyers UPQ tops.

1 hour ago, klipsch said:

Nice. Looking forward to seeing you and your build thread for those :)

Maybe use the cnc to build some Danley Jericho-esque mains for your PA 😁

Yea there will be a build thread. I hope I get the time to do those in the forseeable future.

And no, I'm not interested in high powered point sources for PA. Line-Array or small scale it is for me. I am toying with the idea of trying myself on designing line array elements. Some B&C drivers just scream 'buy me'... The CNC will surely not be bored!

@Tahoejmfc I would've imagined that burning wood with a laser would generate some nasty smells from the wood itself (not just the fumes from the cutting). Since you're not running Nitrogen it's actually burning and not just vaporizing, isn't it?

The idea with the driver wasn't a very serious one, but it would certainly be cool if you could get some actual sound from the cab :)

Maybe @Ricci can fit a RF19 inside the 1qft cab.

Started cutting yesterday at the Makers space in town, the Truckee Roundhouse. I first image is a test cut with half mm differences for getting the wood to fit just right. Second image you can see I forgot to turn off the layer for the handle recess and it cut it on the wrong side. Otherwise everything is fitting nice and snug. Once I have a cut and fit tested speaker cabinet I will share my illustrator file.

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_3965.JPG