HST18 / HS24

Leons

Close to being finished. Here are a few pics from today:

Spider clamp test fitted before being glued and clamped in place:

LeonClampFinished.jpg

Drivers at the end of the day today. Only two are pictutured but all five are in the same state of being finished. They are about 75% complete. I should have them wrapped up by Monday. I need to build more crates this coming week and then I can ship them off to you. :)

LeonAlmostDone2.jpg

LeonAlmostDone.jpg

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great!  I'll post a picture of all 8 together once this batch is over the ocean...

Can't wait to fire the complete system up!.. so far I can only guess what the "single digits"
will add..

I started this home-theater project last summer, same time as I started this thread (my first
post is from july 2015) I planned for a half year but that turned out a bit optimistic. It wil be
close to a year for the whole build.

It was not the drivers that took more time than expected, the first batch was delivered fast.

The second batch was ordered much later because I changed from a one driver per cab to a two driver per cab design.

It was everyting together that took more time than I expected.. I have a basic pro audio background (music content) not cinema.

I needed to gain some basic knowledge regarding:

- super low extending subwoofers (this forum was a mentor in that)

- I had to learn a little WinISD and Scetchup for the design of the "infra"subs

- beamers

- surround sound

- acoustic treatment

- Then there was the theft.. police, insurrance, alarm system, rolling shutters..

- Now Atmos, my new processor is atmos equipped, and I like to integrate that..

All in all it wil take another 2 months.. and that takes it close to a year for the buld..

A very educational year.. I learned (and am learning) a lot, and that is a good thing!

I understand all that Leon. :) I was only saying that Nicks builds pretty fast with his drivers while some other companies do not. So I was just saying that, while your build took longer, at least you didnt have to wait even longer because your drivers still werent built yet.

It was not the drivers that took more time than expected, the first batch was delivered fast.

The second batch was ordered much later because I changed from a one driver per cab to a two driver per cab design.

It was everyting together that took more time than I expected.. I have a basic pro audio background (music content) not cinema.

I needed to gain some basic knowledge regarding:

- super low extending subwoofers (this forum was a mentor in that)

- I had to learn a little WinISD and Scetchup for the design of the "infra"subs

- beamers

- surround sound

- acoustic treatment

- Then there was the theft.. police, insurrance, alarm system, rolling shutters..

- Now Atmos, my new processor is atmos equipped, and I like to integrate that..

All in all it wil take another 2 months.. and that takes it close to a year for the buld..

A very educational year.. I learned (and am learning) a lot, and that is a good thing!

As the saying goes, "all good things come to those who wait" :)

Can't wait for your impressions once they are in and calibrated!

We just had a visit from some folks from The Netherlands, one of whom purchased a Raptor System 3 after a fun demo. He brought pics of his "Man Cave" HT and it is stunningly well done! We so enjoyed meeting them.

The wife and I plan to visit them later this year and a double header would be way too awesome. 8 @ 24" of those round movey-thingies would be awesome to audition.

Hey guy's,

If anyone of you ever visits the Netherlands, you are invited.
I live in the most southern part.. on its own not so spectacular.. but:

Amsterdam 2,5 hour drive
Paris (France) 4 hour drive
Antwerpen (Belgium) 1,5 hour drive
Koln (Germany) 1 hour drive

London (UK) 7 hours
and.. 8x24 at 6ft

Leon

It doesn't look like much progress but believe me that there is a lot of work performed that you don't see in the pictures. Moving assemblies glued and clamped into place, VC leads soldered, speaker wire terminals crimped and soldered, more glue applied to encapsulte and isolate connections and strengthen bonds, etc. Only thing left to do is the dust caps at this point and Leon's five 24's are finished and I will be able to move onto other 24" builds. 

LeonAlmostFinishedDay2.jpg

LeonAlmostFinishedDay2_2.jpg

Hello Nick, please insert "shipping" into you're todo list... after the dustcaps, before moving to more 24's..

:lol:

We just had a visit from some folks from The Netherlands, one of whom purchased a Raptor System 3 after a fun demo. He brought pics of his "Man Cave" HT and it is stunningly well done! We so enjoyed meeting them.

The wife and I plan to visit them later this year and a double header would be way too awesome. 8 @ 24" of those round movey-thingies would be awesome to audition.

Say, don't flights from the US to the Netherlands (have to?) stop in the UK before doing the last part of the journey?

If so, I'm sure us UK folk could arrange some fun things to do if you were inclined to stop over... :)

Hey guy's,

If anyone of you ever visits the Netherlands, you are invited.

I live in the most southern part.. on its own not so spectacular.. but:

Amsterdam 2,5 hour drive

Paris (France) 4 hour drive

Antwerpen (Belgium) 1,5 hour drive

Koln (Germany) 1 hour drive

London (UK) 7 hours

and.. 8x24 at 6ft

Leon

Awesome offer B)

At some point in the next couple of years (hopefully... :rolleyes: ) the missus and I are going to do a European Roadtrip, so it would be ace to pop in :)

Ok Leon, your five HS-24's are finished. I tested every one of them today and they all passed with flying colors. Absolutely zero issues up to / past 3" of cone travel. :D

I need to build more crates as I only have two crates right now. But once I build more crates I'll ship them to you. Very very soon. :) 

LeonFinished2-1.jpg

LeonFinished-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

finally off to the paintshop (with some help of my dad and brother), and the first coat applied.

On top of the HS24 twins are 4 2x15" LowMid cabs, I needed some extra LowMid reinforcement

I managed to build these along the way with the HS24 twin cabs (it is a reverse engineerd 2x15" design of

Audio Performance LM3) I had a few original LM3 cabs already

So the complete system will be:

4x HS24twin cabs for infra

4x LabSub for sub

6x LM3 for LowMid

8x Audio Performance SK-F as tops

post-4174-0-20065200-1463400605_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-42491600-1463400645_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-53400600-1463400650_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-38208100-1463400655_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-08771000-1463400771_thumb.jpg

Jesus...

Ok, I say it quite a bit that something is "nuts" or "insane" but this has to be the biggest system I've ever seen for a home. This is truly epic, haha.  :o  :lol:

And you're the dealer! You're like the red devil on the shoulder saying, are you sure that's enough bass, maybe you need ANOTHER pair of 24s. :)

Archived