HST18 / HS24

Leons

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

Regarding stuffing.. I intend to use the HS24-twin cabs for the zero to 35Hz band only.

Do you consider it necessary to stuff the cabinet? what would you do..?

Thanks,

Leon

I'd still stuff the cabinet to be safe.

I think for both lowering Qtc and smoothing out the impedance a bit it's definitely worth it.  

If at any point, the drivers produce noise or distortion harmonics, the stuffing will help attenuate it before it leaks out.  This is especially important if you run them ported because that sound leaks out much more easily.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, a little HS24twin upate from the lowlands..

As you can see on the pictures the cabs are black as hell.

The port assembley's are also comletely black now (didn't have the time to pick them up yet)

I initially wanted to let the aluminium parts in the port assembley's to remain in aluminium

colour, but dicided later to murdere everything out..

Nick sent me some pictures yesterday, the second batch of 24's is ready to be shipped out.. see

attached pics

regarding power...

As mentioned earlier in this thread I wanted to check out some PL380's and see if they would cut it..

I planned for one PL380 per cab, that would give me 2500w per driver (my HS24's are 4 ohm)

But somehow questioning if they would.. was enough doubt to not go that route..

On the top of my list where the Bossobass A-14K-R amps, I contacted Dave Prunczik about the amps

and he did me a great offer, however this project is getting a little out of hand budget wise, so

I have to pass on his amps, again Dave did me a great offer, but I had to put my foot on the brake somewhere..

That left me with the chinese clone route, the FP14000 clone's would give me 4400W per driver.

However I had a bad experience with a previous order of the 4 x FP10000q. one of the four was not working (still doesn't)

I took the gamble anyway.. 4 x FP14000 and one extra FP10000Q for a reduced price because of the previous faillure.

I contacted Johnson of Sanway on tuesday, ordered on wednesday, the amps arrived on Friday.. unbelievable!

Luckily this batch of amps all work.. so far..

Regarding stuffing:

Would stuffing with pillows be a good option? I can clamp these nicely between the internal bracing.

I can easily fit about 12 cheap Ikea Pillows in the cabs, but it will eat up a good bit of the internal volume..

Any wise advice..?

Now apart from the stuffing everyting is ready.. as soon as the drivers arrive I'll mount em and fire it up.

thanks, best regards,

Leon

post-4174-0-38007700-1465849413_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-96724600-1465849414_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-44348100-1465849464_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-19489800-1465849466_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-36128200-1465849467_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-20506000-1465849469_thumb.jpg

post-4174-0-21019100-1465849471_thumb.jpg

Those cabs look hilariously excessive :o  :D lol

I can't wait for you to fire everything up - I hope the amps behave, although you won't be short of firepower even if one does die at any point!

Stuffing too much might make them sound muffled, but some stuffing does reduce ringing, if I understand things correctly :unsure:  It will change the Q of the box (and therefore the response curve) but you will be EQing them anyway so any change won't be an issue!

I can't wait for you to fire everything up - I hope the amps behave, although you won't be short of firepower even if one does die at any point!

I believe us here in the US will know when he does as it will trigger the San Andreas fault to rip CA off the US map and into the sea, as well as trigger the New Madrid fault and ruin us Midwest folks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello All,

Sorry for the long radio silence.. work (as always) kept me from any progress on the cinema project.

Last weekend however I finished all cabinets.. the 4 HS24 twins and the 4 LowMid clones.

So the system was complete and it was finaly! time to fire it up..

I have no measuring equipment and no measuring skills.. so I try to describe the outcome in my own words.

THE SYSTEM:

left channel: 1x SKF + 1 x LM3

right channel: 1 x SFF + 1 x LM3

center channel: 2 x SKF + 2 x LM3

left surround: 1 x SKF + 1 x LM3

right surround: 1 x SKF + 1 x LM3

left rear surround: 1 x Axys Repro

right rear surround: 1 x Axys Repro

sub 1: 4 x Lab subwoofer

sub 2 (infra): 4 x HS24 twin (8x HS24)

SKF: http://www.audio-performance.com/products/sk-f

LM3: http://www.audio-performance.com/products/lm3-f-0

Lab subwoofer: http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/lsp_documentation_page_drawings_photos_specs_and_more/

HS24 twin: read this thread…

POWER:

6 x FP10000Q

4 x FP14000Q

main powerline: 110A 220-240V

CALIBRATION:

step 1: every channel (exept fort he rears) has a dedicated Audio performance processor. It processes the SKF and LM3 cabinets.

Because the cabinets have different poweramp channels I did the levelling by ear… my brother in the amp-closet in the adjecent room

and I was giving the louder/softer instructions… I’m very very tedious in this process.. with a few reference CD’s it took us 2 days

before I was sathisfied wit all 5 channels..

step 2: run Audeyssy of my Marantz AV8802 over the whole system.

step 3: tune the subwoofers separatly via minidsp, after again 2 days tuning I settled on:

Lab subwoofers 40 – 80 Hz

HS 24 twins everyting below 40Hz

AUDIO QUALITY:

Without measuring tools and skills the best next thing I can do is compare the system to my trusted quested studio monitors, I still have 2,,

the other 3 where stolen a few months back.. the quested site is offline so therefore this link: http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/quested-v3110

I choose these monitors a few years back after weeks of A-B-ing with others.. I now know these for many years now.. and hundreds of hours

listening.. so in that sense they are my reference..

Audio quality of the big system is obviously not of the detail level that the questeds can deliver.. but it is surprising how close

it comes… both are crisp, clean and tight. The three big differences are:

1: more detail in the questeds.. you can search for everyting in their stereo field.. if it’s in there you’ll hear it.. I sometimes

describe it as laser-audio.. so detailed..

2: obviously more lowend extension in the big system… the 8 24’s take care of that..

3: immersion… somehow (I cant explain it..) there is something that a big system has that a smaller system lacks.. I think it has to

do with the fact that at equal volume the bigger system has less distortion.. so it sounds more relaxed, fatter.. just more of everything..

I have set up the Questeds in the cinea room and A-B’d back an forth… the closest comparrison I can make is comparing the accelartion

of a really powerfull sportscar to the takeoff of a 747… both exiting in the first few seconds.. but the sheer girth of the 747 makes

it… different… after a few seconds you feel cramped in the car-seat and the combustion engine is done… that’s where you start to lean

back in the seat of the 747 and the big jets keep reving up..

MAX SPL:

To be honest, that is dissapointing.. I didn’t expect this, but it is impossible to drive this system loud..

I underestimated how much fysical grip this sub system now has on the construction and everything in and around it.. trust me I’m used

to sub-buzzing and rattling of doors in doorframes, windows, ceilings and all sorts of stuff lying around.. the labsubs on their own where

more than capable of shaking the room.. but this is of another proportion.. the addition of the 4 HS24 twins LITTERALY take it from

shaking the room to tearing it apart.. the ceiling is shaking so violently.. the plasterwork and paint rupured on some seams.. that happened

in a few seconds.. actually it took not more that 1 wormhole sequence of interstellar.. the +100Kg steel rolling shutter on the outside is

rattling so violently you can hear it above the sub-rumble 2 bloks down.. all doors and windows in a 50 meter radius rattle (and not a little)that

effects approx 6 neigbours… everyting even heavier stuff in my adjecent garage and the garages of the neigbours is moving and falling down…

the shock came when I came back in from chekking the (like crazy) rattling of the rolling shutter and saw that the picture moved completely

from the screen.. it was the powercable that kept the beamer from falling of the shelve…

I would say at 60% capacity… in panic I turned the system down.. and that was the point where I heard a neigbour calling.. a few seconds

later 4 neighbours where outside.. previously (in my Labsub era) they could laugh with it… not anymore… this is no teenage bass-bragging it

is what actually happened.. litteraly in one wormhole scene…

Later I realized that if the construcion elements are giving in.. how bad must this shaking have been fort he beamer and processor.. they

survived this round, but I’m hesitant to try it again.. that is why I said it.. I cant drive this sytem loud.. it has to much grip..

THE REMAINING KICK:

When watching a movie on "normal" listening levels.. it sounds ultra, ultra cool!!! super hifi.. super clean.. ULTRA low.. completely

overwhelming… just phenominal! it feels like jumping in a pool and you're body gets surrounded by the water.. in this case it gets surrounded

by super clean effortless bass.. almost as physical... that was the quest.., and it worked out...

Thank you all, for you’re advice over the last year…

Best regards Leon

MAX SPL:

To be honest, that is dissapointing.. I didn’t expect this, but it is impossible to drive this system loud..

I underestimated how much fysical grip this sub system now has on the construction and everything in and around it.. trust me I’m used

to sub-buzzing and rattling of doors in doorframes, windows, ceilings and all sorts of stuff lying around.. the labsubs on their own where

more than capable of shaking the room.. but this is of another proportion.. the addition of the 4 HS24 twins LITTERALY take it from

shaking the room to tearing it apart.. the ceiling is shaking so violently.. the plasterwork and paint rupured on some seams.. that happened

in a few seconds.. actually it took not more that 1 wormhole sequence of interstellar.. the +100Kg steel rolling shutter on the outside is

rattling so violently you can hear it above the sub-rumble 2 bloks down.. all doors and windows in a 50 meter radius rattle (and not a little)that

effects approx 6 neigbours… everyting even heavier stuff in my adjecent garage and the garages of the neigbours is moving and falling down…

the shock came when I came back in from chekking the (like crazy) rattling of the rolling shutter and saw that the picture moved completely

from the screen.. it was the powercable that kept the beamer from falling of the shelve…

I would say at 60% capacity… in panic I turned the system down.. and that was the point where I heard a neigbour calling.. a few seconds

later 4 neighbours where outside.. previously (in my Labsub era) they could laugh with it… not anymore… this is no teenage bass-bragging it

Later I realized that if the construcion elements are giving in.. how bad must this shaking have been fort he beamer and processor.. they

survived this round, but I’m hesitant to try it again.. that is why I said it.. I cant drive this sytem loud.. it has to much grip..

You can't say we didn't warn you.  ;)

Now you just need to rebuild your room as a solid bunker to contain all that crazy bass.

MAX SPL:

THE REMAINING KICK:

When watching a movie on "normal" listening levels.. it sounds ultra, ultra cool!!! super hifi.. super clean.. ULTRA low.. completely

overwhelming… just phenominal! it feels like jumping in a pool and you're body gets surrounded by the water.. in this case it gets surrounded

by super clean effortless bass.. almost as physical... that was the quest.., and it worked out...

Thank you all, for you’re advice over the last year…

Best regards Leon

This system has got to be completely world-changing in person. Pictures are one thing but listening to eight 24's sealed is on its own completely different level...let alone eight ported 24's. Great job Leon! 

Now we just need to set up a time for me to audition your system early this coming year. :D

Success stories are always fun to read . Sad to see so many people spending their money on subwoofer drivers and have rapidly declining response below 20hz. The "sub" in the word subwoofer, means below audability . Yet some people spew seminal fluid wildly when they are able to get 130db @40hz, and only 60db @ 15hz

Please post up pictures of the structural damage your house incurs.

Archived