Jupiter Ascending - Discussion & Poll - Closed

nube

Jupiter Ascending  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Execution?

2. 2. Recommendation?

Jupiter Ascending (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 5 Stars (113.94dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.76dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Lots of bass.  Some clipping, but not egregious or really noticeable while watching. Pretty mediocre movie.

PvA:

post-17-0-27448600-1433288382.png

Interesting, I did wonder if it was going to be filter-tastic after I saw it at the cinema - it was so loud and long it was an assault on the senses...

Ok, I was sitting in the front and it was no Interstellar, but the chase/fight scenes were so gratuitiously long as to be unnecessary, IMHO.

PvA looks promising enough.  I'll take a look at it when time allows.  Given the Level number, I will bet at least some clipping in there.  Hard to get a 5-Star level without clipping unless mixed very well and carefully.

JSS

I liked the movie. Maybe it's the years and years of watching those bad Asylum produced movies on SyFy channel or the trashing this flic received but I really liked it. 3D was well done and the ULF content seemed abundant. A number of scenes were replayed 4-5x because of this. It'll be interesting to see how it graphs.

I have to admit that I am surprised at this.  When I saw this in the theater, it seemed like it had no bass at all.  I mean like nothing.  To see that it has extension down to 6hz is very interesting.  It sort of confirms what I was thinking.  That it may be the theater and not the movie.  Because other movies seem to act the same way.  I still did not like it that much for one main reason.  Don't know if I will pick it up but at least I know that if I go to that theater, and the movie has no bass, I don't have to worry right away.

Plus, I don't watch these Atmos movies on a BR player.  I use a server and my server would downgrade the audio a a Dolby Digital soundtrack.  I do the same thing with TF4 and The Expendables 3 and they still sound great.  I just wished I liked it just a little more.

Just watched this and brought out rew and recorded a max of 118 dbz max/fast with a 124dbz peak @1:32:59

Centered at 25 hz which is seen on the PvA running my subs at about reference

Thanks for confirming, I ran mine around -10db and it really got my sofa shaking which is quite rare as I have concrete floors in a 1600cuf room (running two SVS SB13 Ultras)

I saw the peak on the graph in the OP and thought to myself that 25hz peak has got to be it  :D

Same thing happened here.  The wife was nice enough to let me watch this one loud and there were a few places where the bass hit pretty hard.  I can't recall exactly where in the movie 1:32:59 is but there was a big bass hit when the aegis ship was stuck in the red spot storm right around that time.

Very nice soundtrack.  Movie was entertaining but rushed and incoherent.

I purchased this flick when it came out and am I ever glad I did.  Yeah the acting ranged from good to bad depending on character but there was a story line, the special FX were brilliant, color was eye popping. The sountrack was also stellar with crazy use of the surrounds and nice deep bass.  I like this movie far better than the 2nd Avengers film.

Granted, I'm running the dual Raptor System III from the GTG and the subs are running a tad hot :lol: , which you can see in the caps, this movie has the goods in spades.

I only watched 3 chapters so far with the mic next to me on the floor, in case there were any good scenes to cap. Well, I have 8 caps so far in 3 chapters!!

It's hot and it's a LOT. I attached a blow-up of the new color scale I'll be using. I apologize for any inconvenience, but I've used this for a while for my own use and decided to just use it all the time because it's a better setting and a PITA to switch back and forth.

And Here We Go...

56luXc5.png

tu1tZWX.png

VqysfuR.png

etfny1Y.png

Sorry, it'll take a while to get used to the new color scale but there's a lot more detail in, as I mentioned above. The offset was adjusted as well as the interface levels because dual Raptor system IIIs running +12dB hot will A) clip the interface and 2) exceed the +5dBFS scale.

As it was adjusted, the hottest frequency just tickles 0dBFS.

FYI to interested parties ^^^

JA had lots of bass in it and I enjoyed it.

Bosso,

Never mind purple, you went straight to blue!

Hahaha. :lol:

Actually, the new color for pegging the color scale is cream. No lie, this one in chapter 9 actually affected my hair which has never happened before in my HT.

Bjeasw4.png

It's just above 25 Hz and it clipped the interface and input, as you can see in the amplitude bar on the right side.

Man! I like this movie a lot. Excellent vid effects and sound. 5 stars for me. Shook the snot outta the room. Can't wait to watch it again without having to make a dozen SL caps along the way.

Those graphs look like they are too hot in the bottom end, maybe they need a corrective slope.....JK

I will def need to check this out.

JSS

Actually, I'm editing this post to delete the sarcasm and note for the record; the argument is that the low end is exaggerated. The actual fact is that it's the higher end that's de-emphasized, as LTD's own experiments using CEA bursts show. The low end bursts are long enough to record properly, the higher frequency bursts, not so much.

If any correction is needed, it's a shelf boost going up in frequency, not the other way around. The caps are representative of the signal, the sub's reaction to that signal and what we experience at the seats.

This is not the only effect with a big hit @ 25.'x' Hz. There are several in the movie, but this was the biggest transient effect.

Regardless of what reality one resides in, there is a LOT of bass in this scene that's centered at 25 Hz and is much hotter from 15-40 Hz than anywhere else in the soundtrack with it's peak at 25.'x' Hz. The spectrograph coordinates nicely with the amplitude bar's waveform which coordinates nicely with Nube's peak hold trace, regardless of your religious beliefs. ;)

WRUSlnK.png

Damn, now I am wondering if I have to put aside some of my criticisms of the movie if it sounds really good.  Maybe I can have this as my "fun ride, check your brain at the door" kind of film.  I did like the visuals.  But I will only get the Dolby Digital track.  Even so, I am sure it would still sound good.  Maybe down the line when it's on sale.  

Archived