Upcoming Testing Possibilities?

jpmst3

• 1 month later...

Wow, XTZ really needs some help with editing their web pages.  My favorite line is in regard to their twisted pair internal cabling: "The construction idea is Zero Noise cable, CMRR (Common Motor Rejection Ratio) (reduction of overhearing)".  Yes, please I could definitely use some motor reduction to prevent overhearing.  Thank you.

The XTZ 3x12 has some good reviews in the UK, especially at the c.£1600 pricepoint.

It ought to considering its size, amp, displacement capabilities.

I have a hard time believing their mains speakers can keep the pace, however.  Those two 5.25" woofers in the sealed box are likely to come up short when it comes to reproducing upper bass frequencies from 80-150 Hz.  I suspect even a single 12" woofer in a 16 Hz ported box would be underutilized in such a system unless the sub level was being boosted.  They are 4 ohm nominal impedance, most likely to improve sensitivity, but this rules out use of most consumer AVRs.  At least the low crossover between woofers and tweeters near 1 kHz likely mitigates the worst of the issues arising from the horizontally oriented center channel placement.  This was probably the primary reason for using a tweeter array with a ".5-way" style crossover.

It ought to considering its size, amp, displacement capabilities.

I have a hard time believing their mains speakers can keep the pace, however.  Those two 5.25" woofers in the sealed box are likely to come up short when it comes to reproducing upper bass frequencies from 80-150 Hz.  I suspect even a single 12" woofer in a 16 Hz ported box would be underutilized in such a system unless the sub level was being boosted.  They are 4 ohm nominal impedance, most likely to improve sensitivity, but this rules out use of most consumer AVRs.  At least the low crossover between woofers and tweeters near 1 kHz likely mitigates the worst of the issues arising from the horizontally oriented center channel placement.  This was probably the primary reason for using a tweeter array with a ".5-way" style crossover.

They actually have no problem keeping up.  XTZ supplied me with a full 5.1 Cinema system and I've been listening to it every day for almost 3 weeks now.  Crossover is 80Hz and the speakers are definitely able to hang with the 3X12, even during 'spirited' listening sessions.

No doubt. I'm used to big subs but I swear each manufacturer is sending me their biggest heaviest sub now. That sucker is 170lbs!

She ain't an easy one to move around, that's for sure.  Those spiked feet don't help either (I have carpet).

I'm in a similar position with regards to the subs I've been getting of late.  I went from a Cap S1 to the XTZ 3X12, and then from there it's on to the Cap 1400.  After that?  I'm working with David Gage now to get both a Mariana 18S and 24SR.  I actually went out and bought a dolly and a hand truck because I can no longer pick up some of these behemoths.

Any chance of testing the orbit shifter LFU? It's 225lbs but it should put up some good numbers.

Should be getting back with Jeff sometime before the end of the year and I'd expect that the new version of the OS-LFU should be first on the list. The old version was pretty beastly itself so I'd expect it to be impressive.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...