The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

• 2 months later...

I have this film, and this it how it graphs.  From about 1:33 to about 1:39, there is a strong 20Hz effect, you can see it in the average and peak graphs.  At one point it is encoded as hot as 108-109dB If played back at 'Reference Level'.  With a real low distortion playback system, it would lend an ambience to a scene that many would find disconcerting.  Low distortion 20Hz playback is rare to achieve.

JSS

1917.thumb.jpg.37236f63f07f84fedc7717096f8490d3.jpg

On 2/28/2021 at 2:28 PM, Archaea said:

Has anyone measured the content of the 1917 movie?  Near the end there is some ominous low frequency bass. Reminds me of the Hunger Games raffle scene.  Can someone measure to see what frequency range that is on 1917?

you can see it here - https://beqcatalogue.readthedocs.io/en/latest/aron7awol/59350372/

the spike is clearly visible on the heatmap view

• 8 months later...

Left hand side is the amplitude of the digital signal (with '0' at the top being the highest it can possibly go).  The bottom is the frequency.

Summarizing that graph: the loudest bass is -20dB at 40Hz, and it drops fast under that (10dB lower is about half as loud to your ears, so the bass at 20Hz is over half the volume of the bass at 40Hz).  So ultimately you will not be blown away by any part of the low end in Shang-Chi.  It's all relatively high in the frequency range, and not all that loud.

15 minutes ago, minnjd said:

Left hand side is the amplitude of the digital signal (with '0' at the top being the highest it can possibly go).  The bottom is the frequency.

Summarizing that graph: the loudest bass is -20dB at 40Hz, and it drops fast under that (10dB lower is about half as loud to your ears, so the bass at 20Hz is over half the volume of the bass at 40Hz).  So ultimately you will not be blown away by any part of the low end in Shang-Chi.  It's all relatively high in the frequency range, and not all that loud.

Thanks.  That's a crying shame.  Hopefully my Crowson will give me something a bit more to make this a better audio experience.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no single "correct" way to analyze a soundtrack to create a graph.  The issue of choosing the "best" parameters was discussed to a fair extent near the start of this thread.  Simply put, there is no "best" nor any clear canonical choice  Different parameters weigh different kinds of auditory phenomena differently.  That's just how it goes.

So the reason the graphs here don't match AVSForum is because they are analyzed using different parameters.  As such, they aren't really comparable among each other.

• 1 year later...

Oppenheimer:

Oppenheimer(2).thumb.jpg.d38949d925c4393c2f0916571049d3a3.jpg

Level - 4 Stars (111.3dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (8Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.9dB)

Execution - 3 Stars by poll.  Very powerful sound, very reminiscent of the great rumbles in other Christopher Nolan films, but at the expense of clipping in every channel except the surrounds in both the 4k and 2k tracks, which appear identical.

Overall - 4.25 Stars

JSS

• Like 1

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - Dolby ATMOS (7.1 DTHD bed graphed)

TFROTB.thumb.jpg.6ea89050d6b26e4a7382fce95968148a.jpg

Level - 3 Stars (108.63dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.53dB)

Execution - 3 Stars - OK track.  Not great, not terrible, incorporates several effects from prior films, but does not distinguish itself much.  

Overall - 3.5 Stars

JSS 

On 12/1/2023 at 8:51 AM, maxmercy said:

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - Dolby ATMOS (7.1 DTHD bed graphed)

TFROTB.thumb.jpg.6ea89050d6b26e4a7382fce95968148a.jpg

Level - 3 Stars (108.63dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (27.53dB)

Execution - OK.  Not great, not terrible, incorporates several effects from prior films, but does not distinguish itself much.  Let us know what you think.

JSS 

Welcome back! I watched the stream version on Vudu and I had to turn down the bass for this. I am not sure what happened. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 2:24 AM, maxmercy said:

Oppenheimer:

Oppenheimer(2).thumb.jpg.d38949d925c4393c2f0916571049d3a3.jpg

Level - 4 Stars (111.3dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (8Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.9dB)

Execution - Debatable.  Very powerful sound, very reminiscent of the great rumbles in other Christopher Nolan films, but at the expense of clipping in every channel except the surrounds in both the 4k and 2k tracks, which appear identical.

Let's hear some opinions on the LFE in Oppenheimer.

JSS

Great thread, and my first post here, I believe. 

Re: 'Oppenheimer,' I have the 4K UHD disc-version, though have yet to upgrade to 4K playback capability. I will eventually with my JRiver MC31-based (and AnyDVD HD + Fidelizer Pro) HTPC. However using only the regular Blu-ray disc won't impact the sound of Oppenheimer compared to the 4K ditto, as they use the same DTS-HD MA 5.1 track. I have switched off the so-called "Subclarity™" default feature in JRiver's Output format, as it seems to act as a filter/limiter of sorts. 

I don't have a multichannel setup - only 2 channels for stereo divided over 3 active outputs per channel for 2-way main speakers (see picture) and a pair of MicroWrecker subs of @lilmike, fitted with B&C 15TBX100 woofers. I believe the subs are tuned ~23Hz, and they're high-passed at 20Hz, 36dB/octave BW, so practically no bass info below 20Hz. They're corner mounted, flanking the mains symmetrically. 

Amps throughout the driver segments are two MC² Audio T2000 (top horn and subs) and one T1500 (mid bass).

As indicated above I have no way to test infrasonics on my setup, but from 20-25Hz on up Oppenheimer is quite the bass beast: clean, visceral, extremely powerful bursts of bass and just an overall great sound design. Certainly from 'The Dark Knight Rises' (or even 'The Dark Knight') all of Mr. Nolan's films have fantastic bass output and quality, I find. By "quality" I mean the sound design in these lower octaves and the director's knack for a visceral and encompassing bass that spans not only the sub-sub region, but also the central to upper bass area.

Needless now to say I love the bass from Nolan's films, contrary to quite a few superhero movies as of late in particular. 'Black Adam' and others just have this constantly overbearing, or rather "boomy" bass that's all over the place. Maybe that's just me and the particulars of my setup. Back again to great bass there's Mr. Gibson's 'Hacksaw Ridge' Blu-ray/4K UHD that sports a fantastic track (i.e.: the latter half of the movie, and a "tasting" in the opening scene), one of my references for bass. Those shells going off on the battleground with the combined impact from the initial detonation blast to the following "rumble off" into the lower depths is awesome. Mr. Villeneuve's 'Blade Runner 2049' comes to mind as well as a movie with a fantastic track and bass design.

IMG_1599 reduc..jpg

Christopher Nolan definitely has the 'wall of bass' sound design pretty well worked out.  Ever since The Dark Knight Rises, he has used the technique a lot, especially for Interstellar and Oppenheimer, but he does clip the sound at times, sometimes as an effect. 

The only thing that was strange about The Dark Knight Rises was the fact that the opening has a completely different and unclipped sound signature compared to the rest of the film.

With your LF setup, Nolan and Ridley Scott films will be very impressive.   That is a lot of SPL capability there.

JSS

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 2:17 AM, maxmercy said:

Christopher Nolan definitely has the 'wall of bass' sound design pretty well worked out.  Ever since The Dark Knight Rises, he has used the technique a lot, especially for Interstellar and Oppenheimer, but he does clip the sound at times, sometimes as an effect. 

Only had problems with 'The Dark Knight' and clipping of the sound (notable the scene involving the underground/tunnel money transport chase), but initially I guessed it that was due to how I downmix in JRiver's output format. Haven't noticed the problem in other Nolan films, but how exactly would he use clipping "for effect"?

The only thing that was strange about The Dark Knight Rises was the fact that the opening has a completely different and unclipped sound signature compared to the rest of the film.

Oh, really - could you elaborate on that? To me the opening of TDKR has always felt louder somehow, certainly the music, than the rest of the movie, which seems to have a better balance, to my ears, compared to the opening. 

With your LF setup, Nolan and Ridley Scott films will be very impressive.   That is a lot of SPL capability there.

JSS

Yes, certainly Nolan's films from the TDKR and onwards, and Ridley's features strikes me as having very balanced soundtracks. 'The Last Duel' sports some great, fairly subtle LF-cues throughout, and just a great track overall. 

My previous SVS SB16-Ultra's went deeper than my MW's, but they fell flat compared to the fuller, smoother, more effortless and midbass agile output of the MW's that are filling out the listening room with bass to the brim. Hearing the effects of infrasonics is cool, but it takes quite the displacement to make it worthwhile and more than just an effect. 

On 1/20/2024 at 2:26 PM, maxmercy said:

"(notable the scene involving the underground/tunnel money transport chase)"

Are you talking about TDK or TDKR?

TDK. 

On 1/20/2024 at 2:26 PM, maxmercy said:

I can graph the opening vs rest of film soon, I'll post it up.  I thought I had in the past, but didn't.

JSS

Please do!