The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Yeah E3's bass was great and had an awesome mix as well! I'm willing to bet the Atmos embedded discs when done right will contain some of the best mixes going forward as this baby shows you don't need to over do it like T4 and no I'm  not Atmos equipped! but these mixes are very impressive to say the least.

You must remember all of this is done in our spare time...and it takes time to measure, post, update polls/threads, etc.  You must forgive us if we wanted to spend Thanksgiving with our families and not just updating this site.  Unlike the reviewers at Blu-Ray.com and AVS, we do not get paid to write reviews nor to measure films.  If nube doesn't have Exp3 measured already, I may be able to get to it this weekend.  No promises, though.  Busy building 8 bass traps for the theater.

JSS

No offense taken, I just thought people were waiting for measurements.  I think folks will post when there is more to post about.  Those graphs from Shreadhead are great, and pretty much show that Exp3 is the real deal.  Lack of posts doesn't bother me as much as too many posts that say essentially nothing.

JSS

• Like 1

Long time lurker and first post. I recently came across a Korean movie called "The Terror Live" and thought I had great bass. I just don't know how low it goes. It shook everything in my room violently, but then again I do not have the amount of woofage some of you do. Two 18" sealed in 4ft box and 2 svs PB12 Plus. If anyone has this movie I would be interested in your comments or thoughts about it. The move as a whole I liked but need to read subtitle in English, which is not the worst. 

The Expendables 3:

DD 5.1

Level - 4 Stars (110.46dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.03dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall -     4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

LionsGate is at it again with only Dolby Digital for the rental copy.  Cheapskates.

post-20-0-18812100-1417976308_thumb.jpg

TrueHD 7.1

Level        - 4 Stars (111.59dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (9.6Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.97dB)

post-17-0-84790000-1422213786.png

JSS

Thanks so much max. I actually haven't purchased this yet. I was waiting on the number. Yep, I'm basically not going to buy a blu ray until it's been validated here, if its a movie meant to have bass. But the other part of my buying habits is the rental thing. This is very frustrating. It makes me want to not buy this movie and rent it instead. But this is a movie I will let that slide on. I hope the studios realize that when they rip off the rental track, it has literal zero motivation for me purchasing the movie. It actually discourages purchased.

Thanks for the thumbs up, I'll go buy it now. First I'll run it by the wife to make sure it isn't already in my stocking. That what happened with edge of tomorrow ;)

BTW, I think the studios should throw some free discs your way for review pre-release date. Then maybe from there they could start paying you as I really believe you guys help people make purchasing decisions.

Guardians of the Galaxy: (DTS-HDMA 7.1)

Level - 3 Stars (109.39dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (18Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.7dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 3.75 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Looks like this one got the Avengers/Thor treatment.  But unlike Thor which suffers from horrible clipping, this one is soft-limited with clipping instances very few and far between, preserving information that would have been clipped harshly away.

post-20-0-55084400-1418150408_thumb.jpg

JSS  

• Like 1

The latest Transformers getting a 5 for execution is a joke. Personally I think since nube and max are doing all the measurements and are competent, if they deem significant clipping or compression the execution should be given a -1 from the executions final vote, or be given a max of 4 from the start of voting. IMHO a heavily clipped or compressed track is in no way deserving of a perfect for execution. 

While I agree with that statement, it is the only category that is subjective.  One person's clipped/compressed mess is another's 'awesome'.  I used to like Thor until I watched it a few times.  Now the clipping in it stands out horribly.  Having better HF response is both good and bad....

The BassEQ process helps with the clipping, by turning the square-ish waves into more sawtooth-y waves.  It still is no match for a mix properly done, but it helps.

JSS