Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

Hi, 

Being reading through your web site, forums and threads on other forums. Very interesting designs and exceptional dedication to measurements,

Thank you for your time and effort!. 

I am very interested in this design and in particular the development of single cone version.

I find I often end up loading the van/stacking by my self and have really been enjoying single driver bass bins recently. 

I am looking forward to seeing how this works out. 

Sol.

Single driver version?

Have you looked into the Othorn design?

Single driver version?

Have you looked into the Othorn design?

Ricci has discussed designing a single driver version of the Skhorn, possibly slightly larger than simply cutting the current design in half, but still small than the Othorn. 

I have of course, studied many Othorn threads and it looks great.  

Hi, 

Being reading through your web site, forums and threads on other forums. Very interesting designs and exceptional dedication to measurements,

Thank you for your time and effort!. 

I am very interested in this design and in particular the development of single cone version.

I find I often end up loading the van/stacking by my self and have really been enjoying single driver bass bins recently. 

I am looking forward to seeing how this works out. 

Sol.

Thanks for the kind words Sol.

I'm planning to work on the half version but I haven't had much time lately. Testing season has started back up and it's going to be a busy year. Hopefully I can work on it fairly soon.

Testing season aka the ground isn't frozen solid? :D

I sell some stuff, I will be wanting to get one of these bad boys going pronto...

Oh really? Well then... Looks like I won't have to drag one with me next time you have a GTG then. Works for me. ;)

• Ricci pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, Santiago G said:

Good evening everyone I have two questions about the SK horn . 1 can it play up 125/150 hz and do your think that 2 crest cpx3800 bridge in by amp be enough to run B&C 21ds115 ?

Yes it can play up to 125Hz.I wouldn't run it as high as 150 ideally. It is really intended for below 100Hz as a subwoofer. It depends a bit on the drivers used as well. The 21Ipal drivers are smooth up until around 150Hz but the 21DS115 I expect may be a bit more choppy above 100Hz. Either way if running up that high you would definitely want to EQ down the peak at 215Hz and use a sharp 24dB/octave if not 36 or 48dB low pass for best sound quality and transition to the mains. Don't get me wrong it will melt your face off at 125-150Hz but the response gets real choppy not too far above 150 and it is best to avoid those out of band peaks being audible.

Here is the expected response with the 21DS115. This isn't a real measurement set yet. Just a projection so don't take it as absolute. If this is close you would want to use 2 bands of EQ to bring down the 215Hz peak and also the bump near 125. I'll see if I can whip up the same with the 21SW152.

SKHORN 21DS115-4 ESTIMATED RESPONSE.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Santiago G said:

Don't i feel like a dumbass i was so focused on only half of the cab now looking at the whole plan i realise why it has to be 54 inches wide.?

I wouldn't say that it HAS to be...There could be some tradeoff's made to decrease that dimension and increase the depth instead but it would require a rethinking of the horn, ports driver hatch and perhaps overall layout. May not even be that difficult. I just don't have time to look into something like that right now. I'm sure it could be done though.

I am totally going to try to build two of these.

I started off by thinking about building 4 larger vented cabs for the 21sw152s I picked up, which morphed into thinking about othorns, and well, here I am.

If I miss that last little bit below 25, I'll slap a sealed 18 behind my couch and call it a day.

Edit: Or if DSL is still about, a couple of these cabs fresh off the cnc would be epic!

An 18" behind your couch?  That's a joke compared to what two Skhorn's will do.  IIRC, @Beastaudio is running *one* Skhorn these with together with 8 x 18s to handle the ULF.  If you are using these for home theater, you could probably just plug  a port or two for more extension.  If you make them easy enough to remove, you could even switch back and forth depending on content.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SME said:

An 18" behind your couch?  That's a joke compared to what two Skhorn's will do.  IIRC, @Beastaudio is running *one* Skhorn these with together with 8 x 18s to handle the ULF.  If you are using these for home theater, you could probably just plug  a port or two for more extension.  If you make them easy enough to remove, you could even switch back and forth depending on content.

They may end up being used for theater, but probably not very often. Primarily I'm just after pretty damn loud with low distortion. To date, the only subwoofer I've built that impressed me were the lab12 ths I built. Been building and chasing for about 20 years and I've mostly stuck to simple vented cabs, but the th is happier playing up at levels I find fun, so rather than build yet another vented cab that'll get me into the 120s sweating bullets, these are more likely to get me grinning. If I end up missing that bottom end, I'll start ordering 24s for next year's fun time.

Swapping the plug in and out was one of the things that caught my attention when I started looking at this. Do I want dubstep mode or metal mode? Hmmm...

You are correct though, I'm sure the output will far outpace what a single sealed 18 would do, even at 1 foot from mlp distance. I'll come up with something, eventually. If I even miss it.

On 9/15/2017 at 3:32 PM, DrDyna said:

Primarily I'm just after pretty damn loud with low distortion. To date, the only subwoofer I've built that impressed me were the lab12 ths I built. Been building and chasing for about 20 years and I've mostly stuck to simple vented cabs, but the th is happier playing up at levels I find fun, so rather than build yet another vented cab that'll get me into the 120s sweating bullets, these are more likely to get me grinning. If I end up missing that bottom end, I'll start ordering 24s for next year's fun time.

Swapping the plug in and out was one of the things that caught my attention when I started looking at this. Do I want dubstep mode or metal mode? Hmmm...

Really freaking loud with low distortion and a side of Rocky Balboa TUFF is exactly what this cab is about.

This wasn't really made for being in a domestic space nor for use with only 1 vent per side open. That said IF it is used in a house the gradual roll off of having only 1 vent open might work quite well with room gain. I wouldn't be surprised if there is still more output than needed and managed to get down to 15 or 16Hz. Even with only 1 vent per side open it still has the equivalent of 2 5.25" ports or one 7.5" port. Personally I'd start with the 2 vent mode if using one in a home but I'd definitely try them all and see what works best. I just can't see using all of the output from normal 30Hz tuned / all vents open in anybodies home, so using the lower tunings seems like it should be worthwhile. 

Brandon or Ti,

Did either of you play around with blocking the vents?

1 hour ago, Ricci said:

This wasn't really made for being in a domestic space nor for use with only 1 vent per side open. That said IF it is used in a house the gradual roll off of having only 1 vent open might work quite well with room gain.

I'll probably run 1 blocked, but it depends on how it measures in it's final resting place I guess.