• Captain Phillips
    • Rush
    • All is Lost
    • Ender's Game
    • Captain America - The Winter Soldier
    • Need for Speed
    • The Equalizer
    • Pompeii

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is the 2014 Data-Bass Top LF Movie of the Year!

(Update May 31, 2015:  Even though a few extra votes have rolled in for Edge of Tomorrow, they came in after the voting period.  The vote was a tossup between EoT and CATWS the whole time, anyway, so no worries.  Both are worthy of the title.)

Thanks for compiling the list Bosso.

20c1a7511319e3959fabfac49657f16f.png

SpiderMan 2
Edge Of Tomorrow
X Men: Days Of Future Past
Earth To Echo
Maleficent
Expendables 3
Gravity
Lone Survivor
Godzilla

I will add these as well:

Transformers 4
Captain Phillips
Rush
All is Lost
Ender's Game

Let's see who wins! I am torn between Edge of Tomorrow, Rush, and X:5. I have also yet to see Maleficent and Lone Survivor, so I may wait to vote.

Last year's list, for those who care to compare the 2013 bass movies year in review.

JSS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, I watch all movies at the same levels so it is not fair to movies like TF4 which is loud as is but lacks weight to me.  I like using specific scenes do demonstrate different regions of the bass.  Lone survivor for the single digits, EoT for 10hz and 15hz, Gravity and EoT for 20hz, etc.  If I run every movie at say a peak of 125 dBs with the bass then the nod goes to X-men from this list.  From objective data it goes to EoT.  I wonder why a movie that measures a 5 is not picked the best?  I bet more people like the higher average bass than the dynamic peaks and why movies like WOTW and TIH are always within the top 3 best bass movies ever.  High levels, high averages, low extension, but suffers lower dynamics from the higher averages. 

Tough choice.

I'll tell you though that Lone Survivor has a wicked sweet sound mix but it is still a mostly 30hz limited movie with two or three scenes of intense BHD type single digit bass.

I haven't voted yet (still have to watch some of these at home) but it might be EoT as even though it has a popular 30sec mark the rest of the movie's mix is excellent with low end all over. Plus it's a good movie. :)

Copied...I like the award name, but it should include you somewhere in the title/award.  You, Ricci, Mike, FOH, Infrasonic (I know I am missing folks here), all contributed significantly to what we do now here.

Hell, you contributed the FFT window for the entire visualization scheme (PvA/scenecap) for the system of measurement, plus all the great scenecaps for so many films!  

JSS

Hey Max, so I finally ran the TF1 bass remix and tried the Megatron blasting of Jazz and it sent a ripple through my floor.

I am telling you, most powerful single ULF pulse/blast effect I have encountered.  HTTYD and MoS BEQ both have great ULF effects (as well as others), but they are more drawn out rumbles than a pulse like this one is.  It gives the effect so much more weight.  If your signal chain can handle it, it is amazing.

And no, I have not heard from FOH in a while.  Has anyone else?  PM me if you you have.

JSS

These polls are no good for me as I never buy new BDs until they have dropped in price to a reasonable (i.e. cheap ;) lol) price! :lol:

I hear you. I was in Wal Mart the other day and they had movies I just bought not to long ago for $5 bucks. But I still buy my new releases every Tuesday, it is my addiction! 

Anyway my top movie of the year is Lone Survivor. Great bass, great soundtrack and not to mention it was a great movie on a sad subject. 

I will also add most of all these movies on this list were winners. I had a tough time picking one. I don't remember Rush all that well, but I do remember that it had a great soundtrack. Surround was incredible with all the engines and racing sounds. I think I am going to spin that one again very soon. 

Man, just scooped EXPIII, Ender's Game, Into the Storm, and Equalizer. Gonna have my work cut out for me for the next little bit. Looking forward to all 4. I will probably spin ExpIII or Ender's tonight as the wife will be out and she has absolutely zero interest in either of them :) 

So hard to choose. I find myself gravitating towards movies I liked. And I haven't seen them all.

I don't think 2014 had anything that was truly revolutionary. Many very good titles, but nothing mind blowing.

Rush: best sound. Everything sounded incridible from ULF bass to shrieking engines. Loved it.

Lone survivor andExpendables 3: incridible realistic explosions and gun fire. Probably Lone survivor was better. Bass was great, but didn't truly rock my world.

Edge of tomorrow: biggest surprise. Loved this movie including the bass. But honestly, the bass was a little forgettable despite being very good.

Equaliser: Great movie with awesome action and sound, but also forgettable in terms of bass.

None of these movies make me think bass the way Star Trek 1, TIH, etc do. So I may end up voting for best sound altogether as I do have a firm belief that it's about the whole package. Rush or Lone Survivor would probably be the top ones for me in this regard.

So hard to choose. I find myself gravitating towards movies I liked. And I haven't seen them all.

I don't think 2014 had anything that was truly revolutionary. Many very good titles, but nothing mind blowing.

Rush: best sound. Everything sounded incridible from ULF bass to shrieking engines. Loved it.

Lone survivor andExpendables 3: incridible realistic explosions and gun fire. Probably Lone survivor was better. Bass was great, but didn't truly rock my world.

Edge of tomorrow: biggest surprise. Loved this movie including the bass. But honestly, the bass was a little forgettable despite being very good.

Equaliser: Great movie with awesome action and sound, but also forgettable in terms of bass.

None of these movies make me think bass the way Star Trek 1, TIH, etc do. So I may end up voting for best sound altogether as I do have a firm belief that it's about the whole package. Rush or Lone Survivor would probably be the top ones for me in this regard.

Yeah as I said I don't remember Rush to well and I even think I remember falling asleep half way through but I remember the surround was great. The movie was early in the year, so I kind of forget about it. The movie that most sticks in my head this year is Lone Survivor, all though not the deepest bass, but good bass through out the movie in the right spots. I don't necessarily need ultra low lfe in a movie to make me happy,  I just want lots of it done right in the right places. An example would be the Russian mig fly over in X-Men First Class. I have always thought that scene was cool because the bass from the afterburners was so cool. I also watched Star Trek Into Darkness in my theater recently and I love how the bass punches you in the face every time the Enterprise warps into light speed. Like I said good bass where it belongs is how I like my movies and Lone Survivor did that and much more along with a killing soundtrack. Bullets, explosions and an intense helicopter scene that allot of people said tripped their breakers. The movie had it all. 

Archived