The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Max save excel graphs as .png graphics files. They always look sharper than .bmp or .jpeg for some reason. You can get some decent looking things out of excel but plan on messing with the format of the graph for awhile until it finally starts to look good.

Bosso,

Nice, Very Nice. Should look nicer when you see your inbox.

Just sent hi-res BMPs with thicker lines to bosso via e-mail. Should make the film caps and ratings look very nice. Will experiment with png.

Let the debate begin on the 'execution' Star Rating for each. I'll be following the thread every now and then on vacation, but no new graphs until I get back next weekend.

JSS

PS - The thread has hit 1000 views!

Max,

I have to investigate the diff, if any in the DVD vs BR of X-Formers II. I used the DVD (don't have it on BR) and it is weak compared to the others and your findings. I always bumped the sub level when I watched it. In fact, X-Formers I & II are the only movies I felt needed bumped.

I don't want to play different levels for these waterfalls. Flat cal, ref level for all of them. This reminded me of how I felt about X Formers II when I 1st got it and gave it a spin and the graphs I just posted reflect that.

I guess the 1st Q is: did you use the DVD or the BR for your graph?

All my graphs are BluRay Lossless English unless I state otherwise.

Both TF and TF2 (Big Screen Edition) got -4dB due to dialnorm (on DVD and Blu, IIRC), so I made up for the difference by bumping the overall level by 4dB on TF1, for apples/apples. I used the theatrical BD (non Big Screen Edition) for TF2 which had no dialnorm attenuation.

Since Sin City is so underpowered compared to the rest, I may have to throw the DVD in and check.....maybe it got the treatment just like the Star Wars BluRays which got neutered LF, esp. Attack of the Clones.

JSS

Updated TIH, X-Formers, X-Formers II. The new graphs are way better.

I agree, the data is superb, the format is outstanding and comparisons make the arguments seen in the old thread obsolete.

But, we have to get this stuff indexed. Just going back to find the posts to update the title blocks is already a chore and I have dozens more to add over time. They'll be spread out all over this thread...

Yes, much better with the thicker traces. Thanks bosso.

I guess I need to get this stuff all on the first page, or it's own page here on the forum. Ideas? Kyle?

Gotta go pack, will be offline for next few days. Hope to get some waves, or at least learn how to SUP (Stand-Up-Paddle) down in FLA next week.

JSS

Yes, much better with the thicker traces. Thanks bosso.

I guess I need to get this stuff all on the first page, or it's own page here on the forum. Ideas? Kyle?

Gotta go pack, will be offline for next few days. Hope to get some waves, or at least learn how to SUP (Stand-Up-Paddle) down in FLA next week.

JSS

Have a great one and, send me a post card. I collect them. Ping me for addy if you have the notion and time while down there.

Damn. I feel like I should be paying Max and Bosso to do this.

Max as far as execution ratings go I don't think anyone is gonna argue those. I'd say for the most part all of the guys here are on the same page. Every movie you rated low on execution deserved it. We have movies that clipped, had 30hz notes the whole stinking movie, and one filtered at 30hz. I say well done on your ratings and look forward to WotW in that chart.

Updated TIH, X-Formers, X-Formers II. The new graphs are way better.

I agree, the data is superb, the format is outstanding and comparisons make the arguments seen in the old thread obsolete.

But, we have to get this stuff indexed. Just going back to find the posts to update the title blocks is already a chore and I have dozens more to add over time. They'll be spread out all over this thread...

Absolutely! I have 1000s of DVD/BDs and I am already importing the title blocks into my DVD cataloguing program (DVDPedia - Mac only) so that I can review this amazing info when I am browsing my collection prior to finding a movie to watch. I have created a sub-category too in the database for titles I own that you have graphed, to keep them all in one place. Searching back in the thread is simple now, when it has half a dozen pages, but over time it will become very cumbersome.

On a general note, can I add my thanks and appreciation to the amazing work you guys are doing here. I have about 1% of the tech knowledge you do, but I am here to learn and, especially, to behold! Great, great concept for a thread!

Damn. I feel like I should be paying Max and Bosso to do this.

Max as far as execution ratings go I don't think anyone is gonna argue those. I'd say for the most part all of the guys here are on the same page. Every movie you rated low on execution deserved it. We have movies that clipped, had 30hz notes the whole stinking movie, and one filtered at 30hz. I say well done on your ratings and look forward to WotW in that chart.

:) Me too. One suggestion I have is that a simple tutorial on interpreting the graphs might help the BassHead Noob (that'll be me) to get the most out of their hard work.

Will update 1st post sometime this coming week with links to charts and a tutorial on how to read graphs. Eventually, a tutorial on how to make graphs will be done. I am guessing that by the new year we will be caught up on old films and move into new territory.

JSS

This is my favorite place online these days. The way you guys are turning the movie bass into objective based measurements should be applauded by all. I know this is a ton of work you guys are doing here collecting and deciphering the data, but once backlogged new releases can be instantly compared to the old goodies. Thanks again! Just a thought I am throwing out here, is to start another thread were all could discuss the execution or the buy/rent upon seeing the graphs and data here. As this is somewhat subjective and could keep this thread for the data goods.

For example

I have found the hospital explosion to be my favorite bass scene from the Dark Knight. I would love to see it on a bottom digging system as it appears to start out with a nice pressure wave ~3-5hz.

or

Only watched it once, but I think maybe the reason many find Prometheus as a strong bass flick, is possibly because of the lack of masking accompanying some of the bass.

Updated post #2 in this thread to also show how to read the waterfall graphs, included a link to download SL and my settings and how to make the movie graphics for anyone who wants to learn and pitch in...

Nice update to post #2. I updated post #1 to include an index at the bottom of the post to reach ratings and screencaps for each film within the thread.

JSS

Great work guys. Thanks for all the time and effort.