Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

Ricci

Not sure what it is for everyone else but I just got a quote back on the 21DS115 price vs the 21IPAL and the DS is about half the price. SO something like 550 720 and then 1100 roughly for DS, SW152 and then IPAL. And these are all prices for me to my door. So for me these are great prices. I will have a single Skhorn with SW152's in about a month.

SO hopefully by then I will get to see what the limits are with Ricci's setup. And while the IPAL's look great I wish the 4ohm was an option. Oh well.

Got the Ipals pulled from the enclosure they were in and the DS115's unboxed last night. I just need to put a bit of lining in the cabs behind the drivers, drill my hole for running wiring to the second driver, and load them up. I plan to be getting some impedance measurements and close mics by this weekend.

• Like 1

Did some work on these last night. Got the holes drilled for the wires and sealed those up. Went ahead and split another tube of PL between both enclosures and lined or filled in any joints that didn't already have PL squeezed out of them. So now there's 6lbs of PL in each cab? I always go back and do this any more. Probably unneeded but I think I gain a bit of woofer speed and 0.1dB from it. :D

I'll be putting some lining in the cabs behind the drivers and loading the drivers in Sat morning. Hopefully I get to power one up this weekend.

Did some work on these last night. Got the holes drilled for the wires and sealed those up. Went ahead and split another tube of PL between both enclosures and lined or filled in any joints that didn't already have PL squeezed out of them. So now there's 6lbs of PL in each cab? I always go back and do this any more. Probably unneeded but I think I gain a bit of woofer speed and 0.1dB from it. :D

I'll be putting some lining in the cabs behind the drivers and loading the drivers in Sat morning. Hopefully I get to power one up this weekend.

Haha so very much not needed :P Dados filled with PL!

Curious to see how you do your lining and if it has an impact. I don't have anything currently.

Well at first I was just doing the wires because it's what I had on hand. Then I did all the baffle seams just to make double sure. From there I figured screw it I already had the gun in hand.

Yeahhh I scraped the extra off the corners cuz it's ugly. That'll show me.

Did you drill a hole in the corner or how did you drill between the two baffles to connect the drivers?

I was looking at using a speakon for each hatch. Then when and if I get the plate amp I will just use the slave out on the plate amp to the speakon. Trying to finish my projects so I can start enjoying them. So plate amp wont be happening for a little while.

• Like 1

Did you drill a hole in the corner or how did you drill between the two baffles to connect the drivers?

I was looking at using a speakon for each hatch. Then when and if I get the plate amp I will just use the slave out on the plate amp to the speakon. Trying to finish my projects so I can start enjoying them. So plate amp wont be happening for a little while.

I did a cable through a hole next to each driver gooped up with PL. guessing Ricci did the same.

If going for maximum output what does this cabinet need power wise? 30hz tune?

I didnt think the plate amps had enough power. I thought they put their power out in 2ohms so 4ohm DS drivers  on a plate each might need more power. I figure your Powersoft 20K, or whatever its called, can put out enough but curious is all. If the SP plate amps were 6000watts x 4ohm or 2ohm that would be great.

Adding a few pics. I'm going to be working on some close mic measurements and figuring out a way to more effectively block the vents since I'm getting a bit of air leaking. Other than that it's time to do some listening and prepare for the ground plane torture. I decided to add some foam lining around the drivers to try and knock down out of bandwidth reflections from bouncing around in there a little bit. It ended up making mounting the drivers more of a challenge than it otherwise would be. It's very tight by the cabinet side walls with it in there. Depending on what I see on a bare cab versus with the lining I'll decide whether to yank it out.  

post-5-0-33303600-1488227065_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-04831600-1488227072_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-89463200-1488227087_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-43581100-1488227136_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-56680300-1488227161_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-69113100-1488227183_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Impedance measurements compared with the HR simulations. I often see a bit of noise in the measurements when doing impedance captures on big cabs in my garage so the measurements are a bit jagged in a couple spots. Also I am getting some leaking from my port plugs and that is affecting the 1 vent and 2 vent measurements a bit. Also there is the damping I put in the cabs. Both of those will likely reduce the peaks a bit. After I decide on a more air tight method for blocking the vents I'll probably rerun the impedance in each of the configurations.

It matches up fairly well. The centering of the  peaks is slightly off but this is expected and it's quite minor. As mentioned I think the port plugs not being entirely sealed is diminishing the bottom peak a bit. The result is a lossy vented system. I have wooden port blocks but I may have to shove a significant amount of foam in behind them to help seal.

post-5-0-52440300-1488227862_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-79935000-1488227867_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-93273800-1488227870_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Went to fire up my rig and heard a loud pop. Came back to the desk and my trusty Firebox looked like a hookah lounge, releasing magic smoke everywhere. Damn it. Luckily everything else is fine. No idea what happened. Wasn't even running anything at the time.

Want to fire up my rig and heard a loud pop. Came back to the desk and my trusty Firebox looked like a hookah lounge, releasing magic smoke everywhere. Damn it. Luckilyeverything else is fine. No idea what happened. Wasn't even running anything at the time.

Skhorns are scary

• Like 1

Want to fire up my rig and heard a loud pop. Came back to the desk and my trusty Firebox looked like a hookah lounge, releasing magic smoke everywhere. Damn it. Luckilyeverything else is fine. No idea what happened. Wasn't even running anything at the time.

That sucks. Glad nothing else got fried.

Impedance measurements compared with the HR simulations. I often see a bit of noise in the measurements when doing impedance captures on big cabs in my garage so the measurements are a bit jagged in a couple spots. Also I am getting some leaking from my port plugs and that is affecting the 1 vent and 2 vent measurements a bit. Also there is the damping I put in the cabs. Both of those will likely reduce the peaks a bit. After I decide on a more air tight method for blocking the vents I'll probably rerun the impedance in each of the configurations.

It matches up fairly well. The centering of the  peaks is slightly off but this is expected and it's quite minor. As mentioned I think the port plugs not being entirely sealed is diminishing the bottom peak a bit. The result is a lossy vented system. I have wooden port blocks but I may have to shove a significant amount of foam in behind them to help seal.

attachicon.gifSkhorn 3 VENT HR IMP VS MEASURED.jpg

attachicon.gifSkhorn 2 VENT HR IMP VS MEASURED.jpg

attachicon.gifSkhorn 1 VENT HR IMP VS MEASURED.jpg

Did you put gasket tape all the way around the wooden blocks? I sanded a bit of an angle onto the vertical edge, pasted some wide gasket tape on the edge + in the rabbet, and then jammed it into the gap -> screwed it in. Does not seem to be leaking along the vertical edges for me but maybe I'm not running it hard enough. I am also only blocking one port per side as you know. I can come up with something better and mail it with that baffle too. 

Ordered a used firebox last night for $43 shipped. Was going to jump to a Motu UltraLite-mk4 but at $595 that's a bit more of an investment. I'm going to order another backup firebox for <$50 and take some time to look at some newer interfaces. I used to have a backup but I sold it to a buddy last year. The Motu looks nice but it is expensive and has a ton of extra functions and needless setup complexity I have zero use for.

Dave,

I tried foam a few times before on other cabs and once you start putting 20+ volts in near tuning you can feel air movement from the vents that are " blocked". Larger vent areas are worse. These are roughly 7x4" or about that.

Ti,

The wood blocks fit well but it's the vertical area where I can feel a bit of air. I'll have to cut them down to get gasket tape on those edges. They fit very tight without any gasket tape on. That's the current plan .It's not so much the middle vent using one block but when I try to block a second. The second doesn't fit as deeply due to the 6mm offset from the first since they are overlapped. It still fits well and looks ok. I'll figure something out. I hadn't planned to run them with one vent open but I do want to test them like that. Might as well.

How difficult would it be to whip up 4 more of those same vent blocks?

Ti,

The wood blocks fit well but it's the vertical area where I can feel a bit of air. I'll have to cut them down to get gasket tape on those edges. They fit very tight without any gasket tape on. That's the current plan .It's not so much the middle vent using one block but when I try to block a second. The second doesn't fit as deeply due to the 6mm offset from the first since they are overlapped. It still fits well and looks ok. I'll figure something out. I hadn't planned to run them with one vent open but I do want to test them like that. Might as well.

How difficult would it be to whip up 4 more of those same vent blocks?

It's easy. If we are doing it just for testing I can make one that blocks two vents and sit on the front edges of the sub instead. Won't look amazing since it will be protruding from the front a bit, but will get you a tight seal. Would you want four of those or just a pair to test on one cab? Can do more of the single blocks too.

• Ricci pinned this topic