The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Do we know what scene has that huge amount of <5Hz content? It would be a very rare system indeed that can do anything with it. Even with a BIG sealed system, transducers or IB the typical electronics roll off chain is going to be way down in level below 5Hz. Probably a good thing too cause look at the peak level on that at 1Hz!

I don't think there's any particular scene.  You look at the PvA and the average graph looks almost identical in shape to the peak graph.

I think this soundtrack is a perfect case study on how to mix loud bass that still has incredible depth to it.  It doesn't look like they used a HPF anywhere in the mixing.

Do we know what scene has that huge amount of <5Hz content? It would be a very rare system indeed that can do anything with it. Even with a BIG sealed system, transducers or IB the typical electronics roll off chain is going to be way down in level below 5Hz. Probably a good thing too cause look at the peak level on that at 1Hz!

*awaits Bosso's feedback* 

lol

*awaits Bosso's feedback* 

lol

Doesn't the dragon crash at the end of HTTYD have a lot of <5hz?

Likely lots of things, as most of the effects during the war sequences have all sorts of ULF accompanying these effects.

However...

I'm pretty sure it is Vince Vaughn's characters M3 grease gun that did it. There is a part at the end where he is firing it and my sub riser fluttered up and down like a mofo.

John Wick (7.1 TrueHD)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.38dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.5dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Very solid bass.  Nothing demo worthy, but just generally good.  Movie was OK.  Loved the scenes in the hotel and nightclub.

PvA:

tumblr_ntilffYXmE1qcv34vo1_500.gif

Clearly, Nube has not watched the film. ;):P

• Like 3

The reason HR's sound design is so good is that there are no two explosions that sound exactly alike.  Many have different fundamental freqs and almost all have a single peak or multiple peaks somewhere in the 15-100Hz range (the most impactful hits have very broad 18-80Hz 'peaks'), with or without content to <5Hz.  Makes for a widely varied, explosive soundscape.

JSS

• Like 3

Best Infrasonic HR moments (no particular order):

post-20-0-24510600-1491006975.jpg

post-20-0-93466400-1491006975.jpg

post-20-0-79827000-1491006976.jpg

For comparison, the Opening Naval Gunfire Salvo:

post-20-0-35578600-1491006977.jpg

The second graph is the 1Hz content.

Before everyone gets into an uproar about how "nothing reaches +/-50%" on the signal trace, remember that reaching +/-100% on the signal trace is 128dB when played back at Reference Level.  +/-50% is 122dB, still damned loud...

Very few tracks come close to 128dB.

JSS 

post-20-0-24510600-1491006975_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-93466400-1491006975_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-79827000-1491006976_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-35578600-1491006977_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The first waterfall above probably went largely un-noticed, as there is little masking information higher in frequency and level.  Only those with terrific signal chains and capability will pick up on it, much like the transformation of Hugo Weaving into Red Skull in Captain America, or the final 'coin scene' in X-Men:First Class.

JSS

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story-Disney/Lucasfilm

DTS-HD MA 7.1

Supervising Sound Editors: Matthew Wood, Christopher Scarabosio

Sound Designers: Christopher Scarabosio, David Acord

Re-Recording Mixers: David Parker, Cristopher Scarabosio, Michael Semanick, Luke Dunn-Gielmuda, Tony Villafor

Level: 4 Stars (111.33dB composite)

Dynamics: 5 Stars (29.42dB)

Extension: 3 Stars (17Hz)- LAAAME

movie-324168.jpg

Ugh.  Lot of people had high hopes for this one (me included).  Well here it is.  It's got some loud bass, but a major 30Hz bump is pretty much guaranteed to overpower the at times decent ULF that is present.

And to no ones surprise there is clipping to be found, including some nasty flattops during the Jeddha destruction.  

movie-149352.jpg

The surrounds are spared but all three front channels and the LFE clip at -.5dBfs and clip heavily.  While this is better than The Force Awakens and its -3dBfs limiter it's still a damn shame.  I haven't had a chance to watch the film yet to see how bad the distortion is.

Coming in after Hacksaw Ridge this mix is even more disappointing.

I'll add my thought once I view the disc.

P.S.  As a side observation despite sharing almost the exact same sound crew as TFA, RO has a different mix philosophy regarding bass.  The main channels drop of sharply at 30Hz and are actually quite flat as far as bass activity.  The heavily peaked 30Hz material and pretty much all the ULF is contained in the LFE.

• Like 2

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story-Disney/Lucasfilm

Plus: looks like BEQ has a high chance of success, and I even wonder if the track will sound a lot better with the hump flattened.  :)

Minus: Nasty looking clipping there.  But nasty looking isn't necessarily nasty sounding.

We'll have to listen to judge, and each may hear something different.  I've noticed that clipping is a lot less objectionable on my system now than in the past.  A big problem with clipping is that it tends to have cascading effects in the playback chain, making the sound progressively worse and nastier along the way.