The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Sergio posted TFA over on avs. Looks promising:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1333462-new-master-list-bass-movies-frequency-charts-610.html#post42824186

Little rolloff, but seemingly good extension still.

YES!  That explains what I heard in the "better" theater: hints of < 30 Hz bass, but only hints.  I'm glad to see that the gentle slope doesn't roll-off a cliff further down!  Can anyone say BEQ?

Not from what I have heard. After STID, that means we can't put SOLO judgment on JJ Abrams for being the deciding factor here :)

Man, don't bring me down on a Fri like that.  It's just not cool.

Plus, I know it's not this sites measurements, but the chart for STiD looks a lot different then the chart for this movie.  I mean, STiD just drops of a cliff where this looks like a much more gradual decline.  I will take anything down to 16-15hz with hints of content below that because my Crowson will pick up those parts,  I just hope it's not a loudness fest.

Not from what I have heard. After STID, that means we can't put SOLO judgment on JJ Abrams for being the deciding factor here :)

Man, don't bring me down on a Fri like that.  It's just not cool.

Plus, I know it's not this sites measurements, but the chart for STiD looks a lot different then the chart for this movie.  I mean, STiD just drops of a cliff where this looks like a much more gradual decline.  I will take anything down to 16-15hz with hints of content below that because my Crowson will pick up those parts,  I just hope it's not a loudness fest.

What I meant was that the presentation was clean according to a few sources. LOUD, but clean. I can stomach some clipping, and even feel that even sometimes it is almost used intentionally, but we see it as a mistake around here. Sorry reading back I can see how you took that wrong way. From all accounts the video is just as good as the audio btw too. 

No problem.  I am a novice when it comes to the techy side of things.  I just hope it doesn't totally suck like some of the others that people think are bad.  I will reserve judgment until I get to see on my system and see some measurements here.  I can handle loud.  As long as it is clean like you say.  I still have a hard time picking what films are good and not based on numbers only.  Sometimes the level and dynamics look like they should equate to a good soundtrack, but then everybody hates it.  Then other times the level and dynamics look good to me and people say it's no good.  Can't wait until next week so I can see for myself.

No problem.  I am a novice when it comes to the techy side of things.  I just hope it doesn't totally suck like some of the others that people think are bad.  I will reserve judgment until I get to see on my system and see some measurements here.  I can handle loud.  As long as it is clean like you say.  I still have a hard time picking what films are good and not based on numbers only.  Sometimes the level and dynamics look like they should equate to a good soundtrack, but then everybody hates it.  Then other times the level and dynamics look good to me and people say it's no good.  Can't wait until next week so I can see for myself.

^ This

I never judge a movie before listening to it with my own system. Perhaps the biggest disappointment was HTTYD Dragon Crash. People rave about it, and I'm sure it looks impressive on a graph, but it doesn't do much for me personally.

Fav demo scene is still OHF Washington Monument for depth and sofa shaking, Underworld for a nice and long joy-ride, and Titan AE Ice Ring scene for the best of both worlds (hugely underrated around here, perhaps cos of the out-dates visuals) 

Using an SVS PB-2000 for the record  :D

I've played the HTTYD Crash scene at Axpona and THE Newport Show on my Mariana 24s and had many complaints from neighbor exhibitors.  Actually it was one of my favorites exhibition scenes except for the fact that the whole scene from start to finish was over 5 minutes and at shows, people don't have attention spans that long. :)  That scene is the real deal but it might require a larger sub to be able to reach that depth.  I like the OHF Washington Monument scene too but haven't watched Underworld or Titan AE lately.

• Like 1

I've played the HTTYD Crash scene at Axpona and THE Newport Show on my Mariana 24s and had many complaints from neighbor exhibitors.  Actually it was one of my favorites exhibition scenes except for the fact that the whole scene from start to finish was over 5 minutes and at shows, people don't have attention spans that long. :)  That scene is the real deal but it might require a larger sub to be able to reach that depth.  I like the OHF Washington Monument scene too but haven't watched Underworld or Titan AE lately.

Yhh I don't have the best extension, but I would like to hear it on a more serious system one day.

That being said I do prefer 30Hz over the 20s and below, but I am sure that's not the case for everyone. Actually I think I might be the minority in this case  :P

Yhh I don't have the best extension, but I would like to hear it on a more serious system one day.

That being said I do prefer 30Hz over the 20s and below, but I am sure that's not the case for everyone. Actually I think I might be the minority in this case  :P

With bigger woofers, you don't have to choose which frequencies to like. :P  But I understand larger woofers aren't for every situation.  The fact that you are here and discussing these movies tells me you have one heck of a system so please don't take my comments in any sort of negative light as I definitely mean none.  The best system is the one we have, whatever that may be. :)

With bigger woofers, you don't have to choose which frequencies to like. :P  But I understand larger woofers aren't for every situation.  The fact that you are here and discussing these movies tells me you have one heck of a system so please don't take my comments in any sort of negative light as I definitely mean none.  The best system is the one we have, whatever that may be. :)

Never do  ;)

And one day, perhaps 40-50 years from now, I will build my dream home-theater. Hopefully by then my other half will be at peace with the rattling kitchen  :P

I hope EpVII is clean, no blatant flat-tops.

Hope BEQ is not necessary, but it always works best when you start with unclipped material.

I am not against intentional clipping. Iron Man's repulsors would not sound the same without the square tops.

JSS

I agree.  Just don't clip the hell out of it and give a nice even slope somewhere down low.  It doesn't need to get to 5hz (although it would be nice.)  I would take 12-16hz cleanly any day of the week.  That way I can turn it up louder with no issues if I want to.

I hope EpVII is clean, no blatant flat-tops.

Hope BEQ is not necessary, but it always works best when you start with unclipped material.

I am not against intentional clipping. Iron Man's repulsors would not sound the same without the square tops.

JSS

My guess is there's going to be some clipping.  I recall a few effects in the theater definitely has that 'crack' sound that usually only comes from a square wave.

Have watched the movie and run the numbers, but not enough time to fire up the poll tonight.  Will do tomorrow.

On a whole the sound is very well done though.  Not the loudest or deepest but very impactful and dynamic.  And no clipping!

Looking forward to seeing the numbers and charts.  Glad to see no clipping.  I am anxious to watch this myself.  

Outstanding sound and bass on Star Wars.

+1

Really great sound! Wow, it was a monster on my system (Dual Chane SBE-118s / Dayton SA1000) - it lit up the limiter quite a few times (favorite was when the blast from Starkiller Base hit the first planet) and I'm not running hot. I'm really interested to see how the numbers shake out and impressions from those with some serious low end!

Star Wars: The Force Awakens-Disney/Lucasfilm

DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1

Level - 4 Stars (110.94dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (13Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.39dB)

Execution - TBD

Overall - TBD

Supervising Sound Editors: Matthew Wood, David Acord

Sound Designers: Ben Burtt, Gary Rydstrom, Robert Stambler, Will Files

Re-Recording Mixers: Andy Nelson, Christopher Scarabosio, Juan Peralta, Nathan Nance

So I'll start this off by saying there's good evidence this soundtrack is brick walled at -3dB, leading to a track that is paradoxically both lower in volume and riddled with clipped wave forms.  I'll take a close look at the waveforms this evening.

Also my PvA graph got messed up so it's almost illegible.  I'll post a good one with the poll thread.

TFA is an absolute monster in the midbass.  It slams hard and it slams often.  The overall level is noticeably lower than many releases, but once the volume is bumped to compensate (6 ticks up in my case) it doesn't pull any punches when something explodes or flies across the screen.  The graph will show that the movie has better than expected ULF content, but it also shows that the dreaded 30Hz filter is still alive and well in mixing, albeit with a noticeably more shallow slope here.  

Unfortunately, you really don't notice the ULF as it gets buried by the much louder 30-40 Hz booms outside of a few exceptions, mainly Kylo Ren's 'Force Rumbles'.  Whenever one of those appear the spectrum lights up with some serious energy at and even below 20Hz.  The mixers take full advantage of the fact that these rumbles happen in quieter scenes, and therefore a lot of bandwidth is available for the bass to abuse.  The resulting rumbles are loud and will reveal every little annoying rattle in your listening room.  On the plus side, the rumbles are not annoying like the one dimensional 30Hz drones in 'Interstellar'.  Here, the rumbles almost become a living entity.  You can hear them breathe, focus, rise in anger and even sound wounded.  It's impressive sound design work.

Aside from those instances the bass is pretty much comprised of bang and slam stuff.  There's enough variety to keep them from getting boring, but on occasion there are some effects that get pushed too far, resulting in a flat and bloated sound (the Starkiller base weapon firing is a prime example).

• Like 2

Thanks for the info. Guess we will see what the waveforms and PvA show. I should get a chance to watch it this weekend.

The PvA shows a peak around 30Hz and a gradual slope down from there.  The movie is definitely filtered, but not quite as dramatically as Spectre or ST:ID.  I had run it but it didn't upload properly to the image hosting site so I wasn't able to link it in and I can't re-upload it until this evening.

So far, I like what I am seeing.  I am anxious to hear it my own system.  But one thing has me confused

Above you say

" Not the loudest or deepest but very impactful and dynamic.  And no clipping!"

Then you say

So I'll start this off by saying there's good evidence this soundtrack is brick walled at -3dB, leading to a track that is paradoxically both lower in volume and riddled with clipped wave forms.  I'll take a close look at the waveforms this evening.

Not sure what brick walled at -3db means (filtered?).  But then you say it's has a lot of clipped wave forms.  So does that mean that when you just listened to it, you could not tell that it had clipping and that's why you said no clipping?  And you, plus other people said it sounded great.  But the measurements show it does have clipping but it does not affect the overall sound track in a negative way?  Is that what you are saying.  So that must mean that in the end, regardless of the clipping, the audio guys did a really good job of not having it be a bad thing for the movie.  Plus I figured that 13hz would probably be the ultimate low end.  

The PvA shows a peak around 30Hz and a gradual slope down from there.  The movie is definitely filtered, but not quite as dramatically as Spectre or ST:ID.  I had run it but it didn't upload properly to the image hosting site so I wasn't able to link it in and I can't re-upload it until this evening.

That's exactly what I thought on my first watch last week, but bumping the bass up a little always helps. 

The Force does indeed have some immersive and powerful bass, which truly elevates the movie IMO, but to me its still an average movie...  Sorry SW fans!