Ricci

B&C 21DS115

Ricci    652

Yep saw this a while back. Thanks for posting it though. I've got some testing done with this driver in a vented cab that I'm working towards getting posted. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks. I haven't had a chance to do a comparison against the 21sw152-4 stuff yet either. I really want the sealed test so it will be the exact same cab. My quick feeling is that the ds115 behaves about exactly as we would expect from the specs when compared to the 152. Higher distortion, heats up worse due to the smaller 4 layer coil versus the big 6" diameter. Overall the 152 might still be a bit better performer but it is about $100 to $150 more expensive also.

lawbadman    0

Would this sub be suitable for the Othorn? Or is the 21SW115 a better choice? 

I ask because both are basically the same price. And I can't afford the 21SW152....

chrapladm    46
6 hours ago, lawbadman said:

I ask because both are basically the same price. And I can't afford the 21SW152....

Not sure if the large VC option needs to be selected when simulating the DS115. If so then the DS wont work in the Othorn. BUT if not then yes it will work just fine in the Othorn. But I would wait to hear back from Ricci.

I know the DS115 does not perform the same at all in a few simulations so not 100% on the two being that close. Simple ported they will work just fine.

Ricci    652
11 hours ago, lawbadman said:

The 21SW115 is definitely not a match. 

The 21DS115-4 should be ok. 

David,

the response should be somewhere in between the LE modeled and without LE modeled in HR. 

chrapladm    46
15 hours ago, Ricci said:

The 21SW115 is definitely not a match. 

The 21DS115-4 should be ok. 

David,

the response should be somewhere in between the LE modeled and without LE modeled in HR. 

I couldnt remember if we were using the lossy Le option or not. When doing so it definitely changes things. Ported cabinets it didnt matter too much but in this horn it did.

Ricci    652
8 hours ago, chrapladm said:

I couldnt remember if we were using the lossy Le option or not. When doing so it definitely changes things. Ported cabinets it didnt matter too much but in this horn it did.

I woukd definitely use it when modeling any subwoofer. You have to remember that the final result will likely be a bit smoother due to losses and unaccounted for variations in the real speaker. I like to look at sims with and without both and make sure both look ok, but the LE model will be closer.

chrapladm    46
15 hours ago, Ricci said:

I woukd definitely use it when modeling any subwoofer. You have to remember that the final result will likely be a bit smoother due to losses and unaccounted for variations in the real speaker. I like to look at sims with and without both and make sure both look ok, but the LE model will be closer.

SO the first model is the 21DS115 vs SW152. It some areas the DS looks better. I pushed both to about 20mm but I was just doing a quick sim from what I had. Then I selected the lossey Le in Wizard and you can see the DS in black verse the Le in red. Not a huge difference but enough to make sure you simulate it is all. For me the DS115's are about the same price as the 18IPAL's. So thats why the DS's are very interesting. I am not ready to buy any more speakers for now since I still have to finish my Skhorn first. BUT I do want another pair of horns to build come January. I just keep forcing myself to make a reason to get the IPAL's.:) 

Screen Shot 09-22-17 at 04.21 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 09-22-17 at 04.22 PM.PNG