The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy

Dave.. spell check stinks sometimes. ;)

If you ever have a question about who the FX mixers are on a show, please let me know before you spend time with your charts.. I'll be happy to ask around if I don't know the answer. :)

The charts are easy enough to change, so if you see anything amiss, I very much appreciate your input.

Also, just so you know, I would be absolutely elated to post your name on one of these data summaries and avidly promote your work, so please make sure we all get a heads up anytime you have a hand in the process, regardless of what type of movie it may be. :)

Matrix Trilogy Docs are updated.

Although I agree that Matrix II and III are long winded, I disagree with the rent recommendation. These films revolutionized visual effects and were soon copied by everyone, including TV commercial ads. As well, they showed a much appreciated evolution in sound design, which, thanks to Max, can be seen in the animation below.

Like the Bible rip-off or not, I think this Trilogy is as much a must own as any other franchise in moviedom.

fe2919b423382cc430104f0115ac4ddd.gif

I completely agree with you, Dave, and I'll go even one further. Buy the whole trilogy.

1) It's cheap on bluray nowadays.

2) The first one, while not being worthy of much mention in this thread, was revolutionary in several ways.

2a) Consider that it came out on Easter Weekend, 1999. 1999, folks.

2b) If you think about the weird Judeo-Christian references, with Neo being sorta like Jesus, and Trinity, the Easter release makes even more sense.

2c) Taking the Foucault & Zizek approachs that all things are constructions of our minds, and that our minds' images of self are socially-constructed, we begin to see this movie's depth.

So, yeah, get the whole trilogy.

Thanks for all to all, especially JSS and Dave - you guys are spectacular! :)

Matrix Trilogy Docs are updated.

Although I agree that Matrix II and III are long winded, I disagree with the rent recommendation. These films revolutionized visual effects and were soon copied by everyone, including TV commercial ads. As well, they showed a much appreciated evolution in sound design, which, thanks to Max, can be seen in the animation below.

Like the Bible rip-off or not, I think this Trilogy is as much a must own as any other franchise in moviedom.

fe2919b423382cc430104f0115ac4ddd.gif

I completely agree with you, Dave, and I'll go even one further. Buy the whole trilogy.

1) It's cheap on bluray nowadays.

2) The first one, while not being worthy of much mention in this thread, was revolutionary in several ways.

2a) Consider that it came out on Easter Weekend, 1999. 1999, folks.

2b) If you think about the weird Judeo-Christian references, with Neo being sorta like Jesus, and Trinity, the Easter release makes even more sense.

2c) Taking the Foucault & Zizek approachs that all things are constructions of our minds, and that our minds' images of self are socially-constructed, we begin to see this movie's depth.

So, yeah, get the whole trilogy.

Thanks for all to all, especially JSS and Dave - you guys are spectacular! :)

Mutha f**kin' werd! I love the Matrix series!

The Hunger Games:

Level - 3 Stars (109.55dB)
Extension - 1 Star (27Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (34.08dB) Highest Yet!
Execution - 4 Stars - Primarily a dialogue movie, and some of the best effects were transients when the contestants were killed, which don't register as well with the 1/1 settings on the FFT. The bass is very well done, and this film garners 4 Stars mainly based on the incredible dynamics. It seems louder than it is due to this.

Overall - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent. I could not suspend disbelief enough to fully immerse myself into this world, although the film itself was well done.

JSS

post-20-0-87055000-1394045720_thumb.png

Just to see where a less action-oriented film lies in the ratings:

The Natural:

Level - 1 Star (100.38dB composite)
Extension - 1 Star (28Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (35.19dB)
Execution - 3 Stars - A product of the time and the nature of the film

Overall - 2.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy. Tremendous baseball film, though cheesy at times. Some of the best cinematography ever done.

If you notice in the graph, some ULF snuck in. It is whenever lightning strikes in the film, and nowhere else. I think it is meant to be there.

JSS

post-20-0-63038500-1385003070_thumb.jpg

First of, thank you to all contibutors to this thread. Much appreciated!

Second. Im having a bit of problems understanding the rating system. Could someone clarify one small thing for me?

The combined star rating is an average of level, extension, dynamics and execution.

Now, level and extension I understand, the higher the amplitude and the lower the frequency, the better the score. Sounds reasonable.

But, what about dynamics? This factor is the difference between Overall peak and Overall average. Now, wouldn’t that mean that in order to score a perfect score here the movie needs to be limited in the amount of time that there is action onscreen?

Isn´t that the opposite of how a good bass movie should be rated?

First of, thank you to all contibutors to this thread. Much appreciated!

Second. Im having a bit of problems understanding the rating system. Could someone clarify one small thing for me?

The combined star rating is an average of level, extension, dynamics and execution.

Now, level and extension I understand, the higher the amplitude and the lower the frequency, the better the score. Sounds reasonable.

But, what about dynamics? This factor is the difference between Overall peak and Overall average. Now, wouldn’t that mean that in order to score a perfect score here the movie needs to be limited in the amount of time that there is action onscreen?

Isn´t that the opposite of how a good bass movie should be rated?

I wondered kinda the same thing when I read this about TIH:

"The only thing that keeps this from being an overall 5-Star is that it has almost too much bass, so much so that the Avg graph is too close to the peak graph to be able to get 5-Stars for Dynamics. Missed it by 1.1dB."

But I dunno. How do you balance the benefits of dynamic content with a film being penalized for having too much bass? I'll leave that stuff to others with more technical knowledge than me.

The reason for the Dynamics Category is that how loud a scene SEEMS has very much to do with what has immediately come before. Great bass movies will 'cleanse the palate' and have quiet stretches before hitting the audience with a tremendous effect.

Every rating system has advantages and downfalls. While TIH got only 4 Stars for Dynamics, it is STILL a 4.75 Star film. Films that have so much LF content that the average level climbs and decreases dynamics are simply a use of too much brute force. While it can be fun, such as in Underworld:Awakening, it is not an 'elegant' way to use LF, in my opinion.

Case in Point: What is the one sound effect you remember about the movie 'Drive'? I bet most would say it was the shotgun blasts outside the pawn shop (my wife even answered this scene, and she says she doesn't remember much about films). It was preceded by a very silent part, making the shots even more effective.

Other examples: Starscream ripping off the roof in the hut Sam and Mikaela are hiding in in TF2. Iron Man's repulsor blast when he is drunk after he announces the 'after party' will start and he points out where 'the door' is for all the party poopers in Iron Man 2....

JSS

TotalRecallTitleBlock_zps7ea777d3.JPG

TotalRecallPvA_zps3a258cdb.JPG

TotalRecall1_zps1c3efd93.JPG

TotalRecall2_zps0fc184da.JPG

TotalRecall3_zpsf1a30776.JPG

TotalRecall4_zps0a924882.JPG

Total Recall:

Level - 3 Stars (109.24dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (3Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.33dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - Full bandwidth track. My fav part was the initial shoot out at the Rekall location, with the wild pulls and zooms throughout the room, as well as the car chase.

Overall - A solid 4.25 Stars.

Recommendation - Buy for the Bass, Rent for the story. You may want to buy it, but not everyone is into dystopian thrillers.

This is a full bandwidth track, but held back a bit in level and dynamics. This may have been a home mix, or not. Hard to tell.

JSS

post-20-0-87593100-1387585832_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Total Recall:

Level - 4 Stars (265.31dBHz)

Extension - 5 Stars (2Hz)

Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.3dB)

Execution - Witholding Rating until I see the film, only had time to graph while I did other stuff.

Overall - TBD

Recommendation - TBD

This is a full bandwidth track, but held back a bit in level and dynamics. This may have been a home mix, or not. Hard to tell. Definitely not WotT kid's table mix, though.

JSS

Extremely decent low end on a terrible remake.

Master and Commander BluRay:

Level - 1 Star (259.6dBHz)

Extension - 2 Stars (22Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (29.1dB)

Execution - 3 Stars - This is the highpass of the brilliant track that was the Master & Commander DVD.

Overall - 2.75 Stars

Recommendation - Rent, only to be able to obtain the video. If you are able to Mux the DVD Audio to this HD Video, it would make for the ultimate version.

JSS

Then we get this... the balls effectively cut off a monster track. The lossless track is very good though. An even better ultimate cut would be the mux the LFE track from the dvd to the lossless track of the BD. The video was average but I guess better than a dvd.

So sad. Can't wait to see the comparison between this and the dvd.

Great work, thanks for all that.

Yeah, the BD M&C is truly a travesty, viewing that FR graph image really drives it home ...... anyone aware of any real discussion/reasoning for this highpass? I do recalll talk of a mistake etc, just nothing definitive. If it was a mistake, which I doubt, that's inadequate monitoring. If intentional, that's inadequate intelect. Isn't there a regional BD that does rock the full bandwidth? I recall something like this, but I'm really unsure.

I also remember a discussion whereby some enthusiasts, enthusiasts judgment I've come to respect, said despite the high-pass that they preferred the BD. This made me buy both the DVD, and BluRay, to perform my own comparo. They're both un-opened, as I'm working my way thru my big queue of experiments :rolleyes: . I've viewed M&C some time ago,...via a rental, don't recall which version.

------------

Maybe this has been covered, but any plans for The Incredibles? The Simpson's Movie? These are both solid work.

I remember distinctly after viewing the Simpsons release on DVD, being quite pleasantly surprised by the LF effects in general. Only to discover Randy Thom did the sound design, ... made perfect sense. Prior to viewing, I merely figured it'd be a motion picture length Simpsons TV episode,...with all the accompanying production standards. This thing is a gem.

Love me some Data-Bass .... Merry Christmas

Isn't there a regional BD that does rock the full bandwidth? I recall something like this, but I'm really unsure.

R2 Spanish track.. Even better bass than the R1 DVD, if someone check if that bass is primarily in the LFE channel, perhaps it could be mixed by replacing the LFE channel on the English track if all other levels remain equal.

Or you could simply rip the BD and mix it with the DVD audio..

I think by comparing measurements on M&C, we may have a reason for the change. If there is a bump in peak level from 30Hz on up, it may have been a 'save headroom' by cutting the lower freqs. It really does look like the Avengers trace, though. I'll post a direct comparison when I have time.

Shipping from the 'Flix for this weekend:

The Pacific: Iwo Jima Episode

M&C DVD

Fight Club - This may be the highest Level film we have done yet

Captain America

Finding Nemo will have to wait...

Going to check out The Hobbit at a 15/70 IMAX tonight. They only have 25-30Hz capability, but it is not LieMAX.

JSS