maxmercy

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

maxmercy    330

Crowsons and even speakers should be fine, like SME said, the LFE channel will have a lowpass that smooths out the corners.  I really only found sharp corners objectionable on  a few films.  Tron:Legacy and Star Trek:Into Deafness were the two that are the worst standouts.  But many films clip.  Many times it is not objectionable.  For instance, both Iron Man and Iron Man 2 clip a lot whenever the repulsors are firing, but I never found it problematic, as the closest thing to repulsors are jet engines, which clip our ears.  But when you clip a violin, or something that is very familiar, it just sounds wrong.

Star Trek 2009, for all its accolades, clips the warp booms (WTF are they 'supposed' to sound like?).  But they still sound great.  At the same time, the film clips hardly anything else.

JSS

• Like 3

MikeDuke    5

Well, I watched Kong Skull Island this weekend.  Not going to list the level because it was low.  But I thought it sounded really good and the Crowsons did add a nice touch to it.  I give it high marks for audio. I only have a 5.1 system but I used the Atmos sound track so I got the 5.1 TRUHD audio.  I don't know if the DTS-MA track would sound any different (better).  

• Like 1

minnjd    42
On 8/18/2017 at 8:35 PM, maxmercy said:

Star Trek 2009, for all its accolades, clips the warp booms (WTF are they 'supposed' to sound like?).  But they still sound great.  At the same time, the film clips hardly anything else.

JSS

Personally I thought the warp booms sounded very close to the real thing......

Infrasonic    149

I'd wonder how clipped the Shuttle Launch sfx track on the two Telarc music cd's I have. One in DTS 5.1, the other in DSD 5.1 audio.

I bet it's all clipped.

Isn't the Danley fireworks clipped even?

SME    201

Do you have the Bob Katz Space Shuttle Launch recording?  As far as I know, it is not clipped, but I could be wrong.

The Danley fireworks recordings are definitely clipped and pretty severely at that.

maxmercy    330

Even the newer Danley Fireworks files I can find are clipped.  I wish we had access to clean versions.

JSS

MemX    94

I bought that space shuttle blu ray, the one narrated by Leonardo di Caprio - the shuttle launch is a ruined, clipped, utterly flat-topped mess - I was concerned for my speakers!