Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3820 replies to this topic

#41 Bossobass Dave

Bossobass Dave

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Dave...I also e-mailed you. Here is the graph:

EDIT: Dave, there is an update available for SL ...should I DL it?

Got it, and bingo:

Posted Image

One thing: Change the sampling rate back to 48k Hz. 96k Hz with a decimation of 4 (my setting) gives a sampling rate of 24,000 Hz. What that does is spread the resolution across twice the number of frequencies, which is why the graph is pixelated, like my old settings were (which is when I graphed the scene in the above pic for comparison).

If you change back to 48k Hz, it should match mine perfectly.

The only other thing is that with a 0-480 Hz scale, there are no division lines to tell you what frequency the content is. It would be perfect if there were an option for the grid in the waterfall to be in 30 Hz increments, but there is no such option, so for now, you have it as good as it can be.

It's just a glitch thing (the frequency scale) that I don't know how to deal with yet.

If you could change the sample rate to 48000 and run that scene 1 more thime, I'll appreciate it.
  • Braifaraglisp and WelisdeyMAIB like this

#42 laugsbach

laugsbach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Dave!

Here is the graph with 48K Hz...now the division lines are back.

I also took the 0-120Hz scale from the other screen capture and pasted it on top of the 0-480Hz...do you think this will work?

Attached File  SL WOTW SBA2448D.JPG   262.26KB   16 downloads

P/A chart is off but I could do the same for it or skip it for individual scenes.

#43 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

OK folks,

I got my correction file to get accurate data down to 2Hz to work. Here's Immortals (see previous post):

I will get to work on a few others today. Battle:LA is next.

JSS

EDIT - Updated, level-matched graph on previous post.

#44 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

BLA1.jpg

BLA2.jpg

BLA3.jpg

BLA4.jpg

BLA5.jpgBLA6.jpg

Battle:LA.

EDIT - Rankings below as well as updated graph.

Level - 4 Stars (112.11dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.91dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - In my opinion, one of the finest mixes utilizing ULF ever created. No easily detectable clipping, utilization of the entire LFE band, and most of all, it sounded right. The helo ride to the FOB is great stuff. The alien weapons have a touch of 20 and below Hz to give them extra weight.

Overall rating - 4.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy. This film has some cheesy parts, and I may be biased being a former US Marine, but I really think this is demo material.

The Incredible Hulk is next.

JSS

Attached Files

#45 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

The Incredible Hulk. Still the one track I hold others to.

EDIT - Updated graph and Ratings below:

Level - 5 Stars (112.99dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (2Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.61dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - Still the track I hold all others to. It has everything.

Overall Rating: 4.75 Stars

TIH1.jpg

TIH2.jpg

TIH3.jpg

TIH4.jpg

TIH5.jpg

JSS

Attached Files

#46 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

Avengers, the biggest LF disappointment of all time, but also indirectly the reason this thread was started, so you have to give it that.

Level - 4 Stars (110.53dB composite)
Extension - 2 Stars (21Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (26.13dB)
Execution - 3 Stars - 1 Star deducted for lack of extension, 1 star deducted for lack of continuity with previous Marvel films, and a general 'mail-in' of the soundtrack. It is my personal theory that the highpass filter was put into effect after several subwoofer drivers were blown during the mixing of this film. It is too bad this got such filtering, as it is such a great film. You can even see sweeps that should have dug down to the teens just disappear in the filter's grasp. Oh well.

Overall Rating - 3.25 Stars. What a shame.

Overall Recommendation - Reluctantly, I still say BUY. It is that good a film, putting together all of the characters in a great way, with comic-book one-liners throughout.

JSS

Attached Files

#47 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

TronTitleBlock.JPG

TronPH.JPG

Tron2.jpg

Tron3.jpg

Tron4.jpg

Tron5.jpg

Tron6.jpg

Here's Tron:Legacy.

Level - 5 Stars (113.03dB composite)
Extension - 5-Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.26dB)
Execution - 3 Stars - Really good track, but look closely at the extension. Save for a few scenes, the average graph tells most of the tale. It's F10 is only 22Hz. The problem with this track is the clipping in the LCR and Surround channels (the LFE channel is suprisingly unaffected). An article reported that the director Joseph Kosinski went back and 'modified' the soundtrack for the BluRay release. Too bad. At first, I thought the clipping almost intentional, given Daft Punk's music style, but it is not always the case. 3 Stars for the clipping.

Overall Rating: 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - A reluctant Buy. The visuals in this film are so tremendous, that they can even overpower the botched sound at times.

JSS

Attached File  TL BD.jpg   95.39KB   1 downloads

• dbstedt likes this

#48 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

I asked Kyle but he hasn't gotten back to me on this. I am stuck with the same problem myself. I will contact him again.

#49 TimVG

TimVG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Awesome thread, guys!

#50 Madaeel

Madaeel

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:20 AM

Avengers, the biggest LF disappointment of all time, but also indirectly the reason this thread was started, so you have to give it that.

Tron:Legacy is next

JSS

You know what's even more disappointing?? After I finished building my theater I was going to open with that pos. I haven't even seen it yet so it was going to a great opener and now...........it's a rental. You're right though at least something came from it.

Thanks for the graphs Max.

#51 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

Your welcome folks.

I just figured out how to do real comparos with the films. Check it out, Battle:LA vs Avengers (had to downsize, ran out of upload space):

Any film can now be directly compared to another if a question should arise, and not just with the octave values.

JSS

PS - From all comparisons I have done, Immortals is King. Too bad the limiters clipped the track.

EDIT - Immortals is no longer king after a level-matching issue. Graph deleted to save upload space.

#52 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

JSS,

Immortals huh? How does WOTT compare?

Max

#53 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

There are still many films to go, WOTW, WOTT, and others. So far, I threw in the heavy hitters I own or have on loan, and Immortals took it to 'em. I am again out of town this weekend. If I get a chance, I'll get some more graphs done after that, and update the first post with ratings and ask for consensus on them, as well as any other films to graph. I plan on doing Project X, Scott Pilgrim, CitW, Prometheus, The Transformers Films, and The Iron Man films as well as Captain America and other requests. We should have a really good databass soon.

JSS

#54 Ricci

Ricci

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,044 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Awesome stuff Max. Is there an export function out of SL? Never knew that if so...Looks like you are importing this into Excel or OO? Anyway really cool. Make sure that you do the movie 9 if you get a chance. I don't think it will best some of the super heavyweights but i expect it will earn it's 5 stars. Another good one would be The Hurt Locker.

BTW I brought the attachments limit to Kyle's attention last night. He is going to look into it when he gets a chance (He is closing on a new home so you know how that is. Might take a few days.) Sorry about that. We will get it fixed.

#55 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Ricci,

I export peak/avg screen caps from SpecLab, then extract the data using the Java application DataThief, then import that into Excel, to be able to generate all kinds of charts, and direct comparisons. I measured my roll off and applied a correction curve in Excel, so I am flat to 2Hz.

Dynamics per octave and overall can also be calculated by subtracting average from peak power calculations. These numbers combined with individual scene waterfalls should provide a solid objective reference for rating LF content in films.

I'll add 9 and The Hurt Locker as well as WotW to the Netflix queue.

JSS
  • maxmercy likes this

#56 Infrasonic

Infrasonic

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

Your welcome folks.

I just figured out how to do real comparos with the films. Check it out, Battle:LA vs Avengers (had to downsize, ran out of upload space):

Any film can now be directly compared to another if a question should arise, and not just with the octave values.

JSS

PS - From all comparisons I have done, Immortals is King. Too bad the limiters clipped the track.

Fantastic graph, Max! Comparisons like that would be very helpful. :)

One oldie from my dvd graphing days I'd like to see is Running Scared. Had some good single digit content, iirc. The openning shootout alone, even...

#57 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

So I went back and was looking at some data....and found a mistake. Immortals is a bit high in level due to the settings I was using. I will re-run it when I get a chance....something tells me that TIH may end up on top again...

Finding the best way to do this to be able to do comparos has meant some trial and error...

I also found an error on Avengers and Tron. They were a dB or 2 too low, so they will be updated. I now have a checklist to follow to ensure all films will be level matched.

I also have Sin City to run in addition to all of the requests above...not expecting too much ULF, but I remember it being better than OK, and a terrific film...

JSS

#58 maxmercy

maxmercy

Super Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationNW FL

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

OK, I got all of the graphs above level-matched and updated. More soon. Now that the graphs are level matched, here's TIH vs Immortals. Will update the first post with films graphed and rating soon.

JSS

EDIT - Updated graph

Attached Files

#59 craig john

craig john

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Glad I found this forum and thread! Thanks to Bosso for sending me here. Subscibed!

Craig

#60 djbluemax1

djbluemax1

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

OK, I got all of the graphs above level-matched and updated. More soon. Now that the graphs are level matched, here's TIH vs Immortals. Will update the first post with films graphed and rating soon.

JSS

Cool. Looks like TIH has one scene where there is a good 8.5Hz spike, but Immortals actually has more content below 25Hz overall?

BTW, I was curious about the B:LA trace. It looks like there is more content at 3Hz than anything else? Is that right? It's an odd looking trace compared to all the others.

Max

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)