2x 18" LMS Ultra 5400 in 27 cubic foot 15hz vented enclosure

nyt

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use yellow wood glue when building a conventional enclosure, I save the PL for horns and tapped horns when I need to ensure that joints I can't get to are sealed and glued properly.

I'd much rather work with yellow wood glue, it cleans up a lot better. 

I was looking at the marty sub and wondering why the tuning was coming lower than expected.

http://cdn.avsforum.com/2/22/22193aa1_M13Dsideview.png[/img

I offer the following points of speculation

1) narrow port

2) The bracing at the end of the port may be acting to continue the port.

3) distance from the end of the port to the side of the enclosure could be larger

Were these measured groundplane outdoors as well?  I noticed when measuring my enclosure in room the corner seemed to extend deeper than outside.

So,

I've moved this inside.  What a monster.  I have to get some tiny rollers for the inside of the ports.

ZlxJu1j.jpg

Sealed vs Ported measurements in the locations as pictured.  Mic was right where the camera was, so sealed is a bit closer.  There's are room modes between 70-85hz you can see in both graphs.  As the subs are moved away from the wall this changes.

Huge gains.  Can I just say how happy I am with this? :)  There's a slight touch of port noise when pushing these super hard @ tuning frequency, but you'll only ever hear this with sine wave testing.  I pointed it out to two people and they were like 'what noise?'.  Didn't even notice when I was using one enclosure to shake the everloving **** out of my house.  Can't wait to get the rest of these built.

VTwAV6G.png

Here we have a spectogram, no crazy decay.  A touch at the first port resonance @ 108hz, but that will be diminished by the xover at 80hz.

tQVPAdv.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived