Dragon Blade...

Fatshaft

Shredhead,

I'm new to Speclab and am learning alot on how it works and it is very frustrating for me.

It is extremely hard to learn how to use it. :(

Anyways...first and foremost...thanks for posting Bosso's settings. that's a major start for me :)

I've graphed the Movie Dragon Blade and it looks impressive!

Here's what I got.

post-1224-0-59066700-1437850789.jpg

Here's a couple of screenies...very low stuff...it really rumbled at my place...

post-1224-0-09309600-1437850854.jpg

post-1224-0-85161900-1437850836.jpg

If you can double check on your side just so I know that I have things settled in right.

Pardon my newbieness with this program...wish I knew more but I'm loving to play with it.

Thanks for your posts on how to use and the settings you made available for peeps like me.

If you have any more tips for me, I'm "ALL" ears!

Kind regards,

post-1224-0-59066700-1437850789_thumb.jpg

post-1224-0-85161900-1437850836_thumb.jpg

post-1224-0-09309600-1437850854_thumb.jpg

I'm new to Speclab and am learning alot on how it works and it is very frustrating for me.

It is extremely hard to learn how to use it. :(

Hahaha, I feel your pain Fatshaft.  The only tip I would throw out there is to boost the level a bit.  Get your waveform looking stronger and that will make more colors show up in your waterfall from your color scale and show you more detail.  Shoot for the strongest peaks being white/pink and see what you think about that.  Otherwise, looks good as far as I can tell.  That looks like a an intense couple of scenes there, I'll have to keep an eye out for that flick.  I'm assuming these graphs are taken digitally from the disc due to the lack of rolloff? 

In case you haven't seen it yet, I've compared Bosso's old color scale to his new blue color scheme here: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/134-the-longest-most-intense-bass-scenes-from-movies/?p=9053

The link to the settings file download is in that post so you can load the settings file if you feel like experimenting with it to see if you like it.

Thanks for the response...I will try the new new and see...

When you say to boost the level a bit...are you talking about the Spectrum (2) tab?

I noticed major change if I change the "Offset value"

post-1224-0-74971200-1437921479.jpg

post-1224-0-74971200-1437921479_thumb.jpg

Oh and yes they are taken digitally from the disc

You can use offset to get SL to show more colors as if the input level to SL were increased but I was talking about turning up the volume in your software, player, AVR, DAW or whatever digital source you are using.  Look at the sidebar on the right that shows the waveform of the input. 

b0c72e8a4758d285b40f9879f82f227e.png

It's a game of getting a strong waveform and adjusting offset so that your peaks aren't too low or too high so you can get the most detail to show up on the waterfalls. 

Just realized I didn't give you the right link to the new settings files.  The settings files are at the bottom of this post ready to download: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/435-bossobass-mini-gtg-thread/?p=8831

I added more settings files with the optional bar graph at the top of the waterfall and included the instal file to the newest version of Speclab.

Shreadhead,

I can't thank you enough...

Your replies have helped tremendously...

Can I ask you how does this look?

I searched for the strongest scene looking at the waveform

post-1224-0-14316800-1437972915.jpg

This scene shakes the crap out of my house...My system is pretty flat to 5HZ.

I'm wanting to try to mic at my listening position to see what's happening at my place and boy is that ever a challenge

Any tips?

post-1224-0-14316800-1437972915_thumb.jpg

Looks good man, when you compare this digital to your mic'd response, try matching the amplitude of the waveform as close as you can and it should give you a good idea what the differences are.

I'm wanting to mic my place to see what I am getting at my MLP.

Do I have to import my mic's setting file?

I can't see how to do that

I'm using a UMM-6 mic from Cross Spectrum

Awesome Fatshaft, it looks good!  I am familiar with the UMM-6's rolloff and your system seems quite capable down low.  There is a way to load a calibration file for your mic's rolloff but it is too complicated for me to understand at the moment.  Here is some information about it from fellow databass member 3ll3d00d: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/290-using-speclab-for-measuring-in-room/?p=4124

I'm wanting to mic my place to see what I am getting at my MLP.

Do I have to import my mic's setting file?

I can't see how to do that

I'm using a UMM-6 mic from Cross Spectrum

I can make you a filter to load into speclab if you send me your cal file (or you can do it yourself using the method shredhead linked to).

I can make you a filter to load into speclab if you send me your cal file (or you can do it yourself using the method shredhead linked to).

I don't know how to thank you if you can do that for me.

I started reading the howto...linked by shredhead...and passed out 3 times :unsure:

Where can I send you the files?

Awesome Fatshaft, it looks good!  I am familiar with the UMM-6's rolloff and your system seems quite capable down low.  There is a way to load a calibration file for your mic's rolloff but it is too complicated for me to understand at the moment.  Here is some information about it from fellow databass member 3ll3d00d: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/290-using-speclab-for-measuring-in-room/?p=4124

Thanks so much for helping me through all this Shredhead...I can't thank you enough...Speclab is an awesome tool.

I want to learn it but boy is it complicated! You paved it for me! :)

That scene is showing 1-10hz at 0 dB and if it more than just the LFE means around 126 dB! Wow! What is this movie about?

MK, you need to get that movie and try it at your place...I'm "sure" you'll freak out! :D

I know you can play the ULF at your place

That is significant ULF content.  Is this off the disc or at the MLP, and is there a house curve in place?  I remember you stating that your listening preference was to playback at 10dB over reference with the SW out 10dB hot at minimum.

JSS

That is significant ULF content.  Is this off the disc or at the MLP, and is there a house curve in place?  I remember you stating that your listening preference was to playback at 10dB over reference with the SW out 10dB hot at minimum.

JSS

Hello maxmercy...Thanks :)

I'm amazed at that scene (it actually last about 6 minutes) :o

The first graph I posted is off the disc (post #6)

The 2nd graph I posted is at the MLP (post #11) No house curve used there

It was recorded at reference volume and subs hot but flat from 5HZ to 100HZ give or take a db or two here and there.

I'm wanting to know how accurate my mic is and am trying to replicate the disc version as best I can.

I'm hoping "3ll3d00d" can help me with my mic settings so I can see "accurately" whats happening in my room.

Kind regards,

The rolloff in post 11 is matched by the rolloff in your mic cal file down to ~4Hz.

Note that the frs I sent you assumes a flat line beneath this point, i.e. it will apply the same adjust at 4Hz then 3Hz then 2Hz and so on. Of course this is unrealistic but how unrealistic one cannot say, it seems a reasonable guess to me (the mic isn't going to suddenly brick wall everything beneath 5Hz just because it wasn't calibrated at that point) but who knows. Anyway it should at least close the gap between post 6 and 11.

3ll3d00d,

Thanks so much for the cal file...

I am trying really hard to insert it in speclab and am having difficulties.

I'm following your post (guide) and cannot get the box to turn blue.

Not sure if I need to choose it in the filter box (The one that's supposed to turn blue)

When I click on that box...

It opens a "filter control window"

I then hit bypass and apply...the box then changes to filter bypassed but does not turn blue.

I also tried loading the file you sent me under the import/export tab and no change there.

Not sure I'm doing this correctly

Please help...thanks

Here is the UMM-6's response compared to a mic that is flat to 2Hz.  This is with no cal file loaded for the UMM-6 and it is not a mic that is calibrated from cross spectrum.  I don't know if C.S. provides boost for the low end to make up for it's rolloff internally or if they only rely on a calibration file.  Red is a flat mic and teal is the UMM-6:

2a2d6752a9eecd9940f3f55bd45711e3.png

Here you go...

Thanks. Can you go to the Opt 2 tab and change the fields marked "graph" to -5 and 20? This changes the scale on the y axis.

The reason I'm asking is because I had an issue earlier with the filter being limited to 6kHz and showing a -1dB level instead being at ~0dB. I couldn't see where the problem came from so wanted to check that it looked sane in your filter. 

actually ignore the previous comment, I have realised my mistake when creating the file I sent earlier (minor misalignment of fft bins). I have sent you a new filter which is now completely correct... I don't think there will be any meaningful impact on your graph btw but better to have a completely correct filter vs one that is not quite right :)

Archived