1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Seventh Son (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 4 Stars (110.81dB composite)
Extension - 4 Stars (10.5Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.56dB)

Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent (by poll)

PvA:

post-17-0-17601100-1433101998.png

Very Percy Jackson-like. Is the film any good?

JSS

It was ok. I did buy it, but only recommend to rent unless you're a fan of sci-fi fantasy. I did think it sounded really good, and was mixed well. Could it have gone lower, sure. But, I didn't perceive any noticeable clipping in the track. I watched it with my sub trimmed at -1, about +3 or 4 more than normal and -18 MV. So, overall louder than I normally watch my movies...and it was a fun 100 minutes.

film was unwatchable for me...terrible script...and Jeff Bridges accent  omfg...can you say forced and annoying?!?! 

Was it at least cheesy?  I'm planning to rent it, and hoping it doesn't take itself too seriously.

film was unwatchable for me...terrible script...and Jeff Bridges accent  omfg...can you say forced and annoying?!?!

I agree about Jeff Bridges accent, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with that one. I've warched worse....and A LOT better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched this one. I only had time for a single cap, which is digits off the OPPO. Chapter 12, first minute or so:

UH5DcbS.png

Looks exactly like Nube's peak hold trace. The spike at 5 Hz occurs more than once, I believe, but is fleeting and didn't seem to me to be crucial to the on-screen action.

I liked it well enough. Lots of content similar to the clip I capped and good for a dry spell. Rent & 4 stars, IMO.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to watch a movie this weekend, and this was the title I chose.  I'm surprised to see that this got 4 stars for level, for extension, and for execution for that matter.  Both sounded more like 3s to me.  None of the effects seemed particularly impressive, especially as compared to movies with similar stats.

I thought that the sound design was very meh.  It seemed a bit repetitive at times, but not as bad as some.  The mixing was clean and not overly loud, which is a plus.  My chosen playback level was a bit higher than average.  The sequences with the monster in the river and waterfall were the best, IMO, but left me wanting a bit more.  I found myself wanting more slam too.  I gave it 3 stars for execution.

I see that others were not as underwhelmed as I, so it's possible there's something wrong with my system, which hasn't been measured or tweaked for several months now.  It's also possible that the poor quality of the movie itself tainted my opinions accordingly.  I am a big scifi/fantasy fan, which made the movie bearable, but it still seriously sucked.  Half way through, I considered shutting it off, but it did get a bit better in the second half.  More comedy and general cheese would have helped a lot.  FWIW, my wife pointed out that it looked like they'd stuck cotton balls in Jeff Bridges's cheeks to try to make him look older.  Perhaps that's why his accent was so terrible?

Overall, this is one that makes you wonder how they got headlining actors to sign on to such a shit stick.  Blackmail?

Archived