Dayton Audio UM18-22 Measurements & General Discussion

Ricci

Got to hear these, finally over at Archaea's house. He has eight of them all sealed with five up front and three 'nearfield' behind the main seats. These sound great!

They do sound amazing, especially considered the price. I love mine. I'm definitely curious to see what the actual performance differential is between it and the HT18.

In real world use, they would be nearly identical. I have eight HT18's and compared to Archaea's eight Ultimax18's... I wouldn't say one 'sounds' any better than the other. They both sound very good and are a good value. The UM18's look better though and one could argue that the cone is much more durable which can be useful if you have a house with small children. The HT18's have the advantage of two voicecoil choices, d2's and d4's. I prefer d4's so that's nice to have the option.

In real world use, they would be nearly identical. I have eight HT18's and compared to Archaea's eight Ultimax18's... I wouldn't say one 'sounds' any better than the other. They both sound very good and are a good value. The UM18's look better though and one could argue that the cone is much more durable which can be useful if you have a house with small children. The HT18's have the advantage of two voicecoil choices, d2's and d4's. I prefer d4's so that's nice to have the option.

I figure there isn't much of a difference if you aren't maxing them. Just curious if it really narrows down to the dayton between worth the price differential or not. It's been a debate with no answer thus far, so this testing will finally answer it.

The UM cone though... It is practically bullet proof.  Thing may as well be a chain mail cone.

Man That was quick...Geez. Let a guy close out the upload browser at least! I think you may have been seeing it before I even turned the visibility on? I just did that a few minutes ago and you already posted about it 25min ago. Weird.

Man That was quick...Geez. Let a guy close out the upload browser at least! I think you may have been seeing it before I even turned the visibility on? I just did that a few minutes ago and you already posted about it 25min ago. Weird.

The data on the JTR Orbit Shifter Pro looks very impressive. I'll wait until you are done to post the link.  :D

The data on the JTR Orbit Shifter Pro looks very impressive. I'll wait until you are done to post the link.  :D

Ok...What in hell are you talking about!? I have publicly posted zero data on the OS-Pro and there is nothing on DB about it. I've literally uploaded zero data on it or any JTR product.  Are you joking or what? Post the link or send it to me in a pm. I want to know how in the hell you are seeing things that should not be visible so that can be corrected.

You got me...I figured you were having fun at me.

UM18 gets the thumbs up right? I think it does real well. I believe Daytons MMS spec is off. I asked them and the said it is calculated not physical weight of components.

Definitely gets a thumbs up. It's a beautiful driver with solid output and is practically indestructible at a great price.

Right now is an awesome time to be in the DIY segment. No matter what your budget is, you can build a great sub for your buck.

• 5 months later...

Archived