Ricci

Ricci's Skhorn Subwoofer & Files

DrDyna    0

Has anyone built one of these with MDF? I remember seeing someone mention it, although I can't remember who, that they didn't recommend building these with mdf. I was curious if there was a reason besides ugliness and weight.

Ricci    652

I don't think anyone has but you could. I wouldn't advise it for actual touring use but if they won't be moved that much it should be ok.

• Like 1

DrDyna    0
2 minutes ago, Ricci said:

I don't think anyone has but you could. I wouldn't advise it for actual touring use but if they won't be moved that much it should be ok.

That's what I was figuring, I just didn't want to find out the hard way that someone made one with mdf and it came apart, lol.

dsl1    24

The material cost difference is minor compared to driver costs etc, just do it right from the beginning? From an assembly and bracing perspective I'd hate to do it with MDF.

DrDyna    0
2 minutes ago, dsl1 said:

The material cost difference is minor compared to driver costs etc, just do it right from the beginning? From an assembly and bracing perspective I'd hate to do it with MDF.

True, the local Menards has 13 ply BB for ~twice-ish mdf, which would be fine, problem is, I don't have access to a truck anymore, and they want almost 600 dollars to deliver it. I can get Lowes to bring me 10 sheets of mdf for 59 bucks + wood. Both of the semi-local lumber yards I called won't deliver.

Honestly I don't mind mdf. It's only failed me once when a basement flood killed my lab12 horns.

chrapladm    46

Wow thats crazy for a delivery charge. My plywood will cost me about $75each at the cheapest place for a B/C sheet each. SO things starting getting expensive when you need multiple sheets. Its also why I havent started my Skhorn yet. Baltic Birch would probably cost me about 200 a sheet. SO ya I tend to build a lot of things also in MDF. :)

DrDyna    0

Same here, I've only done 2 sets of speakers with ply, always worked with mdf. 

I know it "feels" cheezy to use it on something like this. Going to try to get a quote from one more place that dsl suggested, but if it goes too far into 4 figures, I'll be using mdf, because I straight up can't afford it, especially if there isn't a specific reason, I.E "it's going to blow apart at the seams at S1." Ugly / 400lbs / not water resistant isn't high enough on my priority list to warrant twice or thrice the expense, normally.

chrapladm    46

Also glad to see you got a quote you can live with and building it out of great ply.

Ricci is it best to ask Skhorn "versions," questions here. And will you be looking at designing a single driver version?