Photo

The Low Frequency Content Thread (films, games, music, etc)

Bass Movies Bass Movie Measurements Deep Bass Movies Bass Waterfall Graphs Bass Graphs

• Please log in to reply
3856 replies to this topic

#2941 ;::;

;::;

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:32 AM

Saw Terminator tonight. I think this one has a lot of potential. Hopefully it doesn't come to us filtered or something. Bus scene has some sweeps for the sweep lovers, like the WWZ grenade kind of thing.

Hello tux, new here.

Well mixer Greg P. Russell is one of few mixers on it and he likes making Transformer videos then talks about how likes reducing dynamic range when it suits him and you can bet its gonna be near-field and may or might have some low end cut-off and what channels?

Best way is go back to the cinema with portable Apps or laptop with Spectrum Lab downloaded and get some cinema waterfalls that can be used to check later with in-room home version.  If your as fussed about it as I am that is what I would do. But I don't go to the cinema no more not since 2013. 

#2942 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:52 AM

Add another -4 to -6dB at 30hz, around -10 to -12dB at 20Hz.

The 20hz drone-sound is strange, but I liked it like that, and the few effects on impacts and hits loose all the weight.

Was it like this on the theatrical release?

Maybe.

Does not change the fact that the sound effects had more low frequency energy that was filtered somewhere in the process.

Considering that a fair bit of the sound design involves a lot of bass at 30 Hz, that's quite tragic.  Can they get the academy to revoke the academy award(s) for sound as I seriously doubt that the theatrical track was filtered that way.

With the low freq in place, this excellent soundmix (Gravity) can be enjoyed to its best, and now we are talking.

I would say the overall sound quality improves to a different league compared to the 5.1 dts.

The harsh, loud yelling character of the voices are all gone, panning is perfectly smooth all around the room, it sounds a lot more natural and balanced.

All of this suggests that they did a completely new mix for the Atmos home release.  It would be nice to know why they filtered the bass.  Was their sub system not up to the task?  Were they trying to avoid distortion on weaker systems?  Did someone just apply those filters because of something they read online and shouldn't have believed?  At least, it sounds like the rest of the soundtrack is much better.  Perhaps I could even enjoy it now, except that I really didn't like the movie either.

#2943 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 04:59 AM

Best way is go back to the cinema with portable Apps or laptop with Spectrum Lab downloaded and get some cinema waterfalls that can be used to check later with in-room home version.  If your as fussed about it as I am that is what I would do. But I don't go to the cinema no more not since 2013. 

While this is an interesting idea (albeit one that would probably get one kicked out of the theater if caught), I don't believe this would actually be useful.  It would be impossible to tell the difference between the soundtrack and the distortions contributed by the theater's equipment and room acoustics.  In particular, when trying to determine whether a soundtrack has a 20 Hz filter applied, you won't have any idea because most theaters can't really reproduce 20 Hz at all.

#2944 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

Did you BEQ the ATMOS track?

JSS

"..and I always have a choice."

I wanted both - the good sound quality, and the low bass.

Well, almost there, but the sound design is different, and some scenes actually have more low frequency extension than the dts 5.1.

My audio blog - kvalsvoll.blogspot.com

#2945 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Considering that a fair bit of the sound design involves a lot of bass at 30 Hz, that's quite tragic.  Can they get the academy to revoke the academy award(s) for sound as I seriously doubt that the theatrical track was filtered that way.

All of this suggests that they did a completely new mix for the Atmos home release.  It would be nice to know why they filtered the bass.  Was their sub system not up to the task?  Were they trying to avoid distortion on weaker systems?  Did someone just apply those filters because of something they read online and shouldn't have believed?  At least, it sounds like the rest of the soundtrack is much better.  Perhaps I could even enjoy it now, except that I really didn't like the movie either.

Well; since the sound design of the atmos 7.1 is different from the dts 5.1, it will not sound the same no matter what eq.

@maxmercy has a very valid point with "careful what you wish for".

Overall, the 7.1 sounds better, but the 5.1 has more impact in at least one scene.

With the low freqs retrieved, there is a lot more low frequency content in the 7.1. 

The low frequencies can be brought back, but if different sound effects are mixed in with different level, that can never be changed, and I am fine with that.

I suspect the overwhelming 20hz drone was never present in the theatrical.

We know the dts 5.1 is a near-field re-mix they did on a mediocre system, as they presented an article on the web describing how they did this "improvement".

The 7.1 is also a re-mix, but it is quite clear they did not do all the destructive changes that makes the 5.1 sound too loud and kind of strange on dialogue.

My guess is that the 7.1 is more close to the theatrical, maybe they did not change much at all.

#2946 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:41 AM

We know the dts 5.1 is a near-field re-mix they did on a mediocre system, as they presented an article on the web describing how they did this "improvement".

The 7.1 is also a re-mix, but it is quite clear they did not do all the destructive changes that makes the 5.1 sound too loud and kind of strange on dialogue.

My guess is that the 7.1 is more close to the theatrical, maybe they did not change much at all.

I didn't know that.  It explains why I thought it sounded like garbage.  I used a lower playback level than I do for almost any film, and I still found it to be uncomfortably loud at times.  It wasn't Star Trek: Into Darkness bad, but it was up there with some of the harshest sound I've heard from a blockbuster movie on my system.  I heard hard clipping in the dialog.  In later louder scenes, many sound effects were so distorted by compression/limiting as to be unintelligible.  Overall, it sounded rushed and amateur to me and made me wonder how the movie won the academy awards for sound.

That this new mix may be closer to the theatrical one is intriguing, even if a lot of the low end is gone.  Frankly, I don't think it added much in the 5.1 track.  I am curious to give this another spin, but like I said, I really didn't like the movie at all.  I hated both of the characters especially and found myself hoping they would die so that the movie would be over.  I thought Interstellar blew Gravity out of the water in pretty much every category.

#2947 SME

SME

Super Bass Overlord

• Members
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:46 AM

Unless I've missed something, the best available QSC sub is -6 dB at 25 Hz.  I believe all of their designs a ported, hence they roll off very quickly below that point, and there is probably little room gain help there in the large rooms typically seen in high end theaters.  I have heard rumors of ultra high end theaters in some major metrpoli like Chicago that offer full bass capability into the teens, but I've never seen confirmation of these claims.  As far as I can tell, most theaters are 30 Hz and up with a few of the nicest ones extending down to 25 Hz.

#2948 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:45 PM

Chappie (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.67dB composite)

Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.57dB)

Execution - 4 Stars

Overall     - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent

Notes:  Tons of stuff down low.  While much of it is near DC, about half of the big single effects have a component below 10Hz, and many of them significant.  Decent movie, not great, but I really thought the surround work was excellent.

PvA:

post-17-0-03650300-1437234214.png

#2949 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

Ex Machina (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (108.03dB composite)

Extension - 3 Stars (19Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (33.88dB)

Execution - 2 Stars

Overall     - 3.25 Stars

Recommendation - Rent

Notes:  There are very few bass moments - heck, very few action moments in this one. That's why it has such good dynamics.  However, it has almost nothing below the 27Hz spike besides a couple effects. I liked the movie, although many of the emotional components were tenuous, at best.

PvA:

post-17-0-77931500-1437236056.png

#2950 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 04:20 PM

Also, congrats to Everly - our newest 5 Star movie!  :)

#2951 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

Children of Men (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (109.04dB composite)

Extension - 4 Stars (14.5Hz)

Dynamics - 5 Stars (36.47dB)

Execution - 4 Stars

Overall     - 4 Stars

Recommendation - Buy

Notes:  Huge dynamics really make the bass content in this sound a lot bigger than it is.  It's not super deep, being rolled off steadily from the mid-30s.  I really like this movie.

PvA:

post-17-0-74039500-1437239617.png

#2952 Kvalsvoll

Kvalsvoll

Ultra Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:59 PM

I didn't know that.  It explains why I thought it sounded like garbage.  I used a lower playback level than I do for almost any film, and I still found it to be uncomfortably loud at times.  It wasn't Star Trek: Into Darkness bad, but it was up there with some of the harshest sound I've heard from a blockbuster movie on my system.  I heard hard clipping in the dialog.  In later louder scenes, many sound effects were so distorted by compression/limiting as to be unintelligible.  Overall, it sounded rushed and amateur to me and made me wonder how the movie won the academy awards for sound.

That this new mix may be closer to the theatrical one is intriguing, even if a lot of the low end is gone.  Frankly, I don't think it added much in the 5.1 track.  I am curious to give this another spin, but like I said, I really didn't like the movie at all.  I hated both of the characters especially and found myself hoping they would die so that the movie would be over.  I thought Interstellar blew Gravity out of the water in pretty much every category.

Exactly.

The 7.1 sounds good to me, this is what they should have released in the first place, most people will not buy another later release just because the soundtrack is changed when they already have seen the film.

The first 29 mins is filtered with a steep cut-off on the 7.1, later scenes have a shelf filter.

Some of the later scenes offer reference quality ulf, you just have to retreive it.

#2953 ;::;

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

#2954 ;::;

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

#2955 MemX

MemX

Bass Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

Interesting - I'm sure the Alien mixes were recently posted on here and they didn't have much in the way of low end??

#2956 ;::;

Super Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

#2957 Toe

Toe

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:29 AM

So what is the verdict on ALVH DTS-HD-MA track on the blu ray? I did a quick search and is it really only a 1 star for level? Looks like Bosso got a different result......what was the verdict on this one? Thanks.

#2958 Shredhead

Shredhead

Ultra Member

• Super Users
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

LFE.1 waterfall of Nostromo, landing on the ALIEN planet. WOW the LFE.1 is deep and high.

This is the stereo track of the bluray for the same scene.

fcf9f07b3a5aeb443e0728de544915d5.png

LAME.

I've always thought that laser discs had better mixes of the old flix!  I remember there was a part in the original ghost busters where Sigourny opens up the fridge and that dog thing said Zuel and it had powerful bass on the laser.  The DVD has zip squat. 

• ;::; likes this

#2959 nube

nube

Bass Overlord

• Moderators
  • 835 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:47 AM

So what is the verdict on ALVH DTS-HD-MA track on the blu ray? I did a quick search and is it really only a 1 star for level? Looks like Bosso got a different result......what was the verdict on this one? Thanks.

Look again.  The graphic is wrong (old testing methodology), but the numbers are correct if you scroll down. 3 Stars for level.

http://data-bass.ipb...age-11#entry323

#2960 Toe

Toe

Power Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:59 AM

Look again.  The graphic is wrong (old testing methodology), but the numbers are correct if you scroll down. 3 Stars for level.

http://data-bass.ipb...age-11#entry323

Gotcha. Thanks!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users