Ricci's CKRAM Subwoofer and Files

Ricci

Blocking the ports also cuts overall output. You tend to gain a little down low but lose a lot of the output at higher volume (voltage) due to port compression and a different Fq response / efficiency.

Here is my 18" subwoofer with just 1/3 of the port blocked to extend from 25Hz to 20Hz. 

I'll take 130dB @60Hz any day. That rips!

Screenshot2024-09-12105517.thumb.png.333919be930ab16adee04351afedab3a.png

Same story with the SVS 13"

Screenshot2024-09-12105757.thumb.png.b3f383d22252b654b3feae486e366d6b.png

I would argue the higher port tune is going to be better in most cases with both of these subs. When you go low you really need huge box, long and large port. Its just a different subwoofer. 

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Blocking the ports also cuts overall output. You tend to gain a little down low but lose a lot of the output at higher volume (voltage) due to port compression and a different Fq response / efficiency.

Here is my 18" subwoofer with just 1/3 of the port blocked to extend from 25Hz to 20Hz. 

I'll take 130dB @60Hz any day. That rips!

Screenshot2024-09-12105517.thumb.png.333919be930ab16adee04351afedab3a.png

Same story with the SVS 13"

Screenshot2024-09-12105757.thumb.png.b3f383d22252b654b3feae486e366d6b.png

I would argue the higher port tune is going to be better in most cases with both of these subs. When you go low you really need huge box, long and large port. Its just a different subwoofer. 

Less vent area will also have the consequence of increased/earlier port noise. There is an optimal vent size and having multiple tuning options also means that only one of thope options is 'ideal'. You're either wasting space with a port that is too big when it's fully open or you have a perfectly dimensioned port but as soon as you lower the tuning, you start choking the driver. It's not all that black and white, but if you plan on going with a specific tuning and never using any of the other you might wanna consider changing the design.

If you generally want more output below what your sub currently does and that 'deeper' is an octave or more then I'd suggest rather building a 6th order bandpass to compliment your current subs (2 way bass system).

• 2 weeks later...