1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Ragnarok (Norwegian 5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 5 Stars (112.56dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.34dB)

Execution - 5 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 5 Stars!!!

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  I'll be honest - after reading reviews of the bass in various places, I streamed this via Netflix and was not at all impressed.  It didn't even wake my girlfriend on a weeknight at my normal listening levels, and I thought the movie was mediocre.

However, after all the positive reviews continued to roll in, I grabbed the BR and measured it.  I haven't rewatched the disc, but it has fantastic scores.  While the mixers left a bunch of really high level DC noise in the mix, that's not the story.  The real story here is the TRUCKLOAD of VERY HOT content from 9-25Hz.  Almost every scene has something deep in it.

I'll wait to cast my vote until I've watched the disc, but this is tentatively vying for the coveted true 5 star rating!

PvA:

post-17-0-79848700-1425845851.png

Subjectively, I feel this warrants a overall 5 star rating more than EOT. This FEELS like a heavy hitter to me. I've tried multiple times to revisit EOT and still don't see it. This, on the other hand....deep, powerful bass throughout.

Agreed!

Seems all newer Norwegian movies have great sound, at least all I have watched were great.

Maybe all you need is a budget around 1/1000 of the big Hollywood productions to get it right, but I think it actually is a choice made by the producers.

Coming up some time in the future is this disaster-movie about the wave, filmed in the mountains and fjords around here where I do the skiing and climbing.

Would think a tsunami-style wave should generate some serious ulf, and since it is Norwegian, there is hope that the film actually will give the house a good realistic shake.

Can't wait for this one still trying to get it though. My bluray doesn't have the region free capability. I did have an oppo 103 which did have it but I didn't like the picture it gave me so I sold it. I think I'm the only one in the world who thinks this. As for EOT I have to disagree I watched it again the other night and the LFE is very clean and hits hard IMO. Despite the five star level rating I run this a bit hotter but for me it's there in spades. Some of the opening scenes on the beach have some huge impact, the first ship hitting the beach and squashing the fat dude, the second ships propeller/engine falling into the sand and the explosion first time he dies when he kills the blue alien via the self destruct package which causes the day to repeat again and again. All this in the first half an hour not to mention the rumbles going on as well. It's the complete package for mine but turn it up!

If someone can tell me how to use the spoiler I will but feel I'm not giving anything away as it's been out for a while.

Can't wait for this one still trying to get it though. My bluray doesn't have the region free capability. I did have an oppo 103 which did have it but I didn't like the picture it gave me so I sold it. I think I'm the only one in the world who thinks this. As for EOT I have to disagree I watched it again the other night and the LFE is very clean and hits hard IMO. Despite the five star level rating I run this a bit hotter but for me it's there in spades. Some of the opening scenes on the beach have some huge impact, the first ship hitting the beach and squashing the fat dude, the second ships propeller/engine falling into the sand and the explosion first time he dies when he kills the blue alien via the self destruct package which causes the day to repeat again and again. All this in the first half an hour not to mention the rumbles going on as well. It's the complete package for mine but turn it up!

If someone can tell me how to use the spoiler I will but feel I'm not giving anything away as it's been out for a while.

Are you region A? Ragnarok played fine on my Oppo 93 which is not region free.

What exactly were your PQ issues with the 103? No reason at all (unless you had it setup wrong somehow) that the 103 should be giving you different/inferior PQ vs just about any other blu ray player.

Here's the last I'll say about it--compare that beach landing scene to the helicopter flyover/beach battle scene in B:LA. Both similar scenes. Do you find them even close in impact? Even with EOT turned up?

I'm with Toe on the Oppo issue. I've heard of BR players with better PQ than "normal," but never worse. In any case, you'll really enjoy Ragnarok!

I have Battle LA and will compare. Will post in the low frequency thread. My issue with the Oppo was a grainy picture that wasn't my preference. I wrestled with two different players but both were the same. I always get the same response about the Oppo. Must have been my calibration...... Anyway enough about the Oppo here. Where is the Battle LA beach scene?

I have Battle LA and will compare. Will post in the low frequency thread. My issue with the Oppo was a grainy picture that wasn't my preference. I wrestled with two different players but both were the same. I always get the same response about the Oppo. Must have been my calibration...... Anyway enough about the Oppo here. Where is the Battle LA beach scene?

It's the one when they first go up in the helicopters. Before the main characters actually engage the aliens. Not sure the chapter.

My issue with the Oppo was a grainy picture that wasn't my preference. I wrestled with two different players but both were the same. I always get the same response about the Oppo. Must have been my calibration......

Was it one of the players with Darbee Dublet, or whatever it's called?

I've only seen that in operation once and thought it made WOTW look even worse than it usually does :lol: lol

Had both players and both were the same. WOTW is a naturally grainy film and I found the Oppo made it grainier but I am willing to accept it could have been something I was doing otherwise there would have been more unhappy customers. I only play Blu ray or DVD so all the other stuff was wasted on me anyway. Apologies for being off topic here but will be hunting down Raganarok today. Hope I find it.

Wth718 I've posted my thoughts on Battle LA in the Low Frequency thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Believe the hype I say. This movie had some thunderous moments in it no doubt. Don't be put off by the subtitles as the audio was first class, the bass five star. Godzilla done like this would have been something else. Cloverfield is not in the same league either IMO. Don't want to give too much away but I loved the bass just as everybody else has said. Nube surely the Netflix stream didn't do the mix justice. Interested to see what you think after watching the Blu.

• 6 months later...

I finally watched this tonight after getting my nearfield sub dialled in. IMV a very watchable but not remotely groundbreaking film greatly elevated by the soundtrack & I felt the NF sub really paid dividends here by really ratcheting up the tension via the tactile response. Worth a watch for sure.

Archived