1. 1. Execution?

• 5 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 2 Stars
    • 1 Star
  2. 2. Recommendation?

Sunshine (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level        - 3 Stars (107.66dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 3 Stars (24.01dB)

Execution - 3 Stars (by poll)

Overall     - 3.5 Stars

Recommendation - Buy (by poll)

Notes:  Only moderate levels, but completely full-bandwidth effects throughout.  Surprisingly terrible dynamics, though, and it's not like the movie has nonstop action or really high levels that would prevent better dynamics.

PvA:

post-17-0-60256200-1402079408_thumb.png

post-1300-0-25214300-1403191589_thumb.jpg

Seems like this is mastered with a lot of unused headroom, which I supected, as I had to turn it up a bit louder than I normally do. This would also explain the low levels and bad dynamics.

Definitely looks like it's clipping, although Audacity doesn't display it.

EDIT: Zooming in enough in Audaciy definitely shows some clipping, have only checked a few parts though.

Oh shit, yeah it looks completely fucking clipped.  That's what you gotta do in Audacity - zoom in to check for egregiously squared off waveforms.  There's also some clipping indicator setting that marks clipped points with red lines in that zoomed out graph.

Thanks for checking that, and please do post zoomed in screencaps + timestamps of the clipping if you find really bad spots.

I have the clipping indicator turned on but it doesn't show anything as it peaks at minus 4 or so dB (just an example number). Zooming in so the dotted lines appear revealed some flat tops, will check it out more closely when I have time (weekend most likely).

By the way did you notice how it gets louder to the end? Especially evident in the center channel, looks like it peaks at minus 5dB for most of the movie which suddenly changes to minus 4 at about 1.20.00 (only example numbers again).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gifSunshine.jpg

Seems like this is mastered with a lot of unused headroom, which I supected, as I had to turn it up a bit louder than I normally do. This would also explain the low levels and bad dynamics.

Definitely looks like it's clipping, although Audacity doesn't display it.

EDIT: Zooming in enough in Audaciy definitely shows some clipping, have only checked a few parts though.

That looks awful.

JSS

Archived