Rockford Fosgate T3 19 1 Ohm in a sealed box?

Gadgety

I've got a 2400 cu ft room and I'm considering two sealed subwoofer cabinets using the RF T3 19.  I want the best possible transient response. That made me look at sealed boxes. I've seen Josh Ricci's testing carried out back in 2015 in sealed cabinets. The EBP suggests it's possible to mount them either sealed or vented. However, Rockford Fosgate explicitly state on their website "Do not use sealed box" as it's been optimized for vented. What will the disadvantages be for running them in sealed cabinets, poor efficiency, shorter service life, overheating? I listen mostly to music, but having these obviously they will see some Home theater duty as well. EDIT: OK, so I've looked around some, and see JR is running his 8 in dual opposed pairs in sealed cabinets, 4.5 cu ft per driver. My first question remains. I had originally planned to get two T3s, but it turns out I'm only getting one. I know this will lead to cabinet resonance. In addition, I had planned on wiring them in series, and now, since this is a single one ohm driver, and that it could go as low as 0.8 ohm, I'm wondering if it's an idea to put a resistor in series to up the resistance the amplifier will see. I would really appreciate any comments.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 1:55 AM, Gadgety said:

I'm wondering if it's an idea to put a resistor in series to up the resistance the amplifier will see.

The resulting damping factor will absolutely kill your sound quality. In addition to that, the resistor would probably have to be water cooled, due to the high power dissipation.

No offense to RF as they do have some sharp guys but the whole, driver optimized for sealed / vented / BP and don't use it in another alignment, is for the most part antiquated thinking from back before modern signal processing. There are drivers that are better suited to some jobs than others make no mistake, but this is not one of those. Usually the reason you will hear that drivers are not suited for sealed is the qts is too low (IOW too efficient) and without EQ it will be bass shy because the top end gains sensitivity quickly and overpowers the low end without EQ. In this case RF is assuming that these drivers are going to be used for car audio SPL comps and the like and ported will be way louder than sealed and will also handle high power inputs longer. I can see why they would recommend this for their statement competition driver but if the app is not putting up big scores in a Tahoe it's one of the top high power sealed drivers available. 

It's 2020 and unequalized frequency response is much less of a priority than it was 30 years ago. 

• Like 5

• 2 months later...