Stereo Integrity 24"

Ricci

Wish I hadn't gotten rid of that enclosure now...LOL. A little undersized for it at 25cubes and a 10" vent but still would have been enough to gauge how much damage it could do. I could have cut a new hole for the driver and went at it.

Building one from scratch? Eh...No.

Good news is it looks like Nick is going to be able to get a 12-13 cube sealed enclosure sent for it with the help of another guy.

Haha! Loved this part:

There is no reason you could not make a vented alignment for this driver the size of a walk in closet, with a 12" sewer pipe port tuned down near the resonance of the Earth. I hope someone does but it will be enormous.

F**k yeah I wanna see that.

• 1 month later...

Or I guess you could do the easy way.  Use a full sheet MDF for the sides, front and back-  half sheet for the top and bottom.   8feet x 8feet x 4 feet.  You won't even need to cut the wood... haha....    Slot port from another couple sheets.  6 sheets total.  

$35 x 6 =  $210.   But the awesomeness could be priceless.   Port it at 13hz.   

You should create a monster horn for that bad boy with a low tune.   It could potentially by the most epic single subwoofer ever made.  

It would require around a 275 cuft horn for a 15Hz tune.  You would get >126dB from 15Hz on up with less than 1000W in 2Pi space.  Put 4 of them wall loaded in the largest auditorium you can imagine and it will fill it with >143dB from 15Hz on up, for only 4000W of amp power.  At 10Hz, you drop off to 'only' 127dB.

JSS

It would require around a 275 cuft horn for a 15Hz tune.  You would get >126dB from 15Hz on up with less than 1000W in 2Pi space.  Put 4 of them wall loaded in the largest auditorium you can imagine and it will fill it with >143dB from 15Hz on up, for only 4000W of amp power.  At 10Hz, you drop off to 'only' 127dB.

JSS

Woah...  that sounds like the perfect way to sell sub-20Hz output for 'cheap' to commercial cinemas!

Except enclosure size and folding the horn would be an issue, I imagine...

Enclosure size is the problem...you would have to build on-site..  Folding is easy comparatively.  The labor involved in constructing this is non-trivial.  That's 4 high dollar drivers in even higher dollar enclosures, only to save $$ on amp power...  Most cinemas would not see it as a good deal.  It would be better to use eight smaller 15" or 18" driven horns simply due to size and complexity.  But then you are also talking about a lot of manpower to build the horns.  The manpower is the highest piece of the cost.  That's why Danley products cost so much.  Sure, they use good drivers that add to the cost, but those enclosures are not thrown together in a few minutes. 

JSS

Good points! :)

One day I will find the money and skill to build a high-end, small-capacity, full-bandwidth commercial cinema, but it won't be for a while... lol

(And I'm not even sure I'd have the customer base to appeal to and make any money off it!!)

Archived