18 Sound 21ID Driver Discussion

Ricci

Nice job Josh!

Another powersoft only driver... I honestly didn't think the IPAL was that popular, but it must be! 80 grams more moving mass has to be the lower wire gauge. Its clear because the inductance per ohm is higher and the BL^2/Re is higher, both point to a thicker coil cross section and hence 80 grams of copper.

13 hours ago, Kyle said:

Nice job Josh!

Another powersoft only driver... I honestly didn't think the IPAL was that popular, but it must be! 80 grams more moving mass has to be the lower wire gauge. Its clear because the inductance per ohm is higher and the BL^2/Re is higher, both point to a thicker coil cross section and hence 80 grams of copper.

I don't think it is that popular. It's not necessarily PS only. Anybody can buy the driver and it operates conventionally provided you have an amp that can drive the low impedance. Functionally this one is a 2 ohm driver which isn't so bad. I agree that it makes sense for the extra mass to be in the coil. 

19 hours ago, radulescu_paul_mircea said:

Nice! Very good efficiency. I had mixed feelings with this driver and still have.

Care to elaborate? 

I've got some myself but I'm going to let the GP testing do the talking. 

In my experience, the driver is excursion limited in a lower tuned enclosure and even though the motor force is very high, moving parts very good, I still like the 18" Ipal version from B&C more. 

It got to 1-3 dB max burst SPL from 21Ipal, so a very good performance but the thermal stability and overall capabilities are also 3 dB lower, but the price is very similar.

In fact , I like the RCF 21N551 better, it is very similar concept and weight, but way higher excursion, mostly after xmax. But that one doesn't come with 4 ohm Impedance so one will need a pretty huge amp or bridged amp to power it to the max output.

18 Sounds Xmax is based on coil overhang + 1/4 gap height. Same 14mm rating as their lower end drivers. It seems they only made the impedance lower and got more motor force out of it but otherwise it's no different from the MUCH less expensive 9601 drivers.  So far they seem to lose composure quicker when compared with some of the other drivers too. Definitely not directly on the level with the B&C Ipal units, which are beefier upgraded drivers from the lower range B&C drivers.

• 1 month later...