In my opinion the top two subwoofer manufacturers are "REL" & "SVS".  I have not heard any other sub drivers hit low frequencies with such crisp-expanding bass.  These subs really change sound dynamics.

Now, with that all said I came across a fairly new REL Q108 MKII Sub Driver for $25 and had to buy it.  So, now I going to hone my building skills and construct my own subwoofer.  I have some idea of what kind of box I want to build (enclosed box for sure), but I like to hear from anyone that has any ideas or delt with building a sub box using a REL driver.

Thanks

JTR and Seaton are over in Chicago, you may want to see if you can experience their subwoofer designs.  REL and SVS make fine subs and products, both good companies but they don’t quite have the firepower many strive for on this site.  You will also find there are many very knowledgeable people on this site that develop their own high-powered subwoofer designs that are extremely capable and great-sounding.  And in my opinion and many others on this site, lots of bass means nothing if it doesn’t sound detailed and articulate.  I hope you stick around and share your knowledge.

By the way, I didn’t mean to come off as a jerk if I did.  Simply meant that those are fine subwoofers but there are some pretty special subwoofers out there that you should experience too.  Sorry, I am not familiar with that particular driver but you could just build an enclosure of the same size as the original REL.  To really design a different size or different type of enclosure (ported for instance), you’d need to get the Thiel-Small parameters for that driver.

You can love any brand to death, but I personally wouldn't touch an 8" driver for anything "sub" related. If I read the data sheet correctly, it actually is an 8" driver.

I own an 8" powered sub and I regret buying it. It's good for an 8" subwoofer, but it's not good for being a 1000$ sub.

But now you have the driver already, so it's up to you to decide if you wanna make a fun project with it or if you want to build something bigger instead. Without knowing the T/S parameters of the driver it's basically impossible for us to tell you what to build. They don't seem to sell drivers separately, so it'll be hard to get those unless you can measure them.

Thanks  "dgage"!  No offense taken on your comments.  I know I'm the newbie on this forum and must earn my respect.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my opinion post.  I'm a vintage audio guy, who enjoys a 2-Ch Stereo Setup.  However, my clients like home theater systems with 5.1 to 7.1-Ch setups.

I know and understand that there are more powerful sub manufacturers in the industry than REL & SVS.  I'm not here to dispute which subs are the best, or sound better, or more powerful, etc.  Every person experiences music differently, and have their own sound preferences.

I created this Forum Topic for some insight and ideas for building a nice sub cabinet for the driver. I know I'm not going to build a REL sub box that matches their sound quality.  I'm doing this project to challenge myself and become more familiar with building subwoofers & loudspeaker cabinets.

Thank you for the feedback.