Where to start with delay settings to time align Othorn to full range tops.

jay michael

• Forums  I have a minidsp UMIK-1 mic on the way, been digging into

I have a minidsp UMIK-1 ordered and on its way. Been researching how to use software and the mic to align my full range tops to my newly built pair of Othorn's.  Ill be loading them into our studio space tomorrow and will start working to get them dialed in with my tops.   I'm using RCF 4pro4001's

https://www.prodance.cz/data/attachments/RCF 4PRO 4001-A datasheet.pdf

I usually cross them over at 80hz and will likely start with those settings.  Can someone help me or suggest a reasonable starting point that I can use as a delay for my tops?  I have the recommended crossover settings and eq recommendations that Josh provided and from the phase response plot posted at diy audio there is mention of 13.9ms. Not sure if that is referring to what I am looking for or not.   I have also seen it mentioned that the horn length is 3.8m long.  If I convert the 3.8m horn length considering the speed of sound I get 11.08 msec.   From what I have read and researched I completely understand this is more complicated and likely requires measuring equipment to get just right... Just wondering a good place to start to get me close while I wait the arrival of my mic.  Cheers and thanks   

6 minutes ago, jay michael said:
  • Forums  I have a minidsp UMIK-1 mic on the way, been digging into

I have a minidsp UMIK-1 ordered and on its way. Been researching how to use software and the mic to align my full range tops to my newly built pair of Othorn's.  Ill be loading them into our studio space tomorrow and will start working to get them dialed in with my tops.   I'm using RCF 4pro4001's

https://www.prodance.cz/data/attachments/RCF 4PRO 4001-A datasheet.pdf

I usually cross them over at 80hz and will likely start with those settings.  Can someone help me or suggest a reasonable starting point that I can use as a delay for my tops?  I have the recommended crossover settings and eq recommendations that Josh provided and from the phase response plot posted at diy audio there is mention of 13.9ms. Not sure if that is referring to what I am looking for or not.   I have also seen it mentioned that the horn length is 3.8m long.  If I convert the 3.8m horn length considering the speed of sound I get 11.08 msec.   From what I have read and researched I completely understand this is more complicated and likely requires measuring equipment to get just right... Just wondering a good place to start to get me close while I wait the arrival of my mic.  Cheers and thanks   

It depends quite a bit on factors such as the crossover frequency and slope. The alignment type and response of the main speakers. The room, or listening environment and the speaker orientations and placement. You really do need measurement capability. It's a deep rabbit hole...

Thanks Josh. What software do you use? Any good reference materials that you have come across?  I've been watching a bunch of tutorials using smaart, but I don't know if I want to pay the entry price on owning it beyond its free trial. I've come across and bookmarked a few discussions using REW, re-reading them tonight

Thanks man! Mic should be here any day.  Spent about 4 hours in our studio the other night getting a feel for things.  I used a db meter and did the old school trick using a sign wave signal at the cross over point, set the sub to inverted polarity and adjusted delay to the greatest null in db.  Seemed to work pretty good, but will play with it more with rew to see where its really at.  Sadly my dsp doesn't give me enough delay range, had to push the subs forward of my tops about 1.5 feet.  Stoked so far with the sound, cleaner than anything I've heard before, has a nice fast feel to it.   We have nothing but double 18's in this city, this is a totally different sound.  Our studio has a raised sprung dance floor, can literally feel the floor roll like waves on the water Haha

• 1 month later...