Sealed vs Ported in Same Cabinet Size

Hifisound

Generally the comparisons are done with the same driver...

What if the box size were assumed to be same , say 4 cuft, which will allow for 18" sealed sub and maybe a 12" vented.

(ignoring the cost differences due to driver and ports etc)

Is there an obvious design winner in such comparison ?

I was trying to compare the data for these 2 (couldn't find options for 12" and 18" drivers in same family)

UM18 : http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=116&mset=128

SVS PB12 : http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=66&mset=71

At 20Hz, the ported still looks better.....

(The title should have been sealed vs ported in same cabinet size, can't edit now)

IF you are only going for a single, then ported would be the suggestion from me. If you are willing to go multiple sealed (4-8 or 50, I don't care), then the sealed alignment has almost everything going for it. More extension, no phase shift at port tuning, and gobs of headroom. 

I'm sure others will say with a lot more eloquence and length what I will attempt to summarise below, but...:

- HiFi 'purists' claim humans can't hear anything under 20Hz and, therefore, everything under 20Hz in recordings is extraneous noise recorded/left in in error.

- research after that which led to the above claims has shown humans can hear below 20Hz

- even if we can't hear much under 20Hz, we can feel it in the sofa shaking, the weird sense of pressure in the ears, the feel through our feet if on a suspended floor - much as we feel a train shake the ground beneath us as it rumbles past.

- it is the individual's choice whether to pursue reproduction of these <20Hz frequencies at home.  If listening to music only, 16Hz extension will cover 99.9% of music, including church organs.  If watching a film, lots of films require big output to single-digit Hz for their effects to be realised, which can only realistically be achieved with a sealed subwoofer setup in-home. 

- Check out the Bass Movies thread and its graphs, and various posts by Bossobass illustrating speclab screen captures of blu-ray/DVD disc content down to 2Hz being reproduced accurately by his Raptor 3 system in-room, for example.

But from a sub perspective , aren't 20-40Hz the critical ones, esp for HT ?

The range for the LFE is 3-120 hz so I am not sure where all the 16-30 or 20-40hz stuff comes from.  How much you want to get is up to you but the UM18 will get it all louder than the PB12 and only less around tune from the SVS PB13. 

But from a sub perspective , aren't 20-40Hz the critical ones, esp for HT ?

Then build a 6th order bandpass tuned for this 'critical range'.

I find it hilarious that the folks who generally state that there is a specific frequency 'range' for HT are the folks who sell subs tuned to or just under that 'range'.

But basically, just like MK said.  Sealed wins with your constraints (specific box size, ignoring the cost differences due to driver and ports etc), in every way.

JSS

Then build a 6th order bandpass tuned for this 'critical range'.

I find it hilarious that the folks who generally state that there is a specific frequency 'range' for HT are the folks who sell subs tuned to or just under that 'range'.

JSS

Oh ok, I thought this is the reason ported are more used for HT...

Anyways my question in general about best approach when considering the same cabinet size.. (as for same given cabinet size much bigger driver can be used sealed than ported)

And I think sealed seems to be favored in that case...

So much depends on 'reference' vs 'preference'.  If you are interested in high fidelity reproduction of the signal, then you will go with the flattest FR system, sealed or IB.  If you prefer more spl, and are willing to sacrifice bandwidth, build a resonant system, or buy, as there are many options available commercially.

Extension to the low-mid teens Hz-wise is a great system.  But extension to the single digits from the teens is different and noticeable.  

Is it as big a jump as going from an HTIB/Soundbar to a capable 20Hz system?  No.  But if you are reading this forum, you probably are reaching for that last 5% of performance.  To get that, you need sealed/IB or a fan sub.

JSS

I think it would be safe to say that most here prefer to playback the track as it is with the content in it at appropriate SPL with as little distortion as possible.  With some films, that means having a system with significant extension.

If that kind of extension is beyond means/budget, then a higher low frequency limit can be achieved for a given target SPL with low distortion, for less $.  But that is a very broad generalization, there are exceptions to every rule.

JSS

In the original post you compared two subs and the sealed sub in the case has more of everything so to me it was a no brainer.

I just picked 2 good examples of each type from data-bass for my question.

Though I guess, based on responses, same will be true for say 18" ultimax sealed and 12" ultimax ported...

Archived